Are there any coastal, nugget bearing areas in Australia?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was just thinking, retirement is a long way off.
However..... are there any nugget bearing coastal areas around Oz?
Be pretty cool if the wind was blowing too much to have a swing of the detector or too hot I might go out on the water for a fish or dive.
Sounds like a good retirement plan if there is.

NSW south coast. Mogo, Nerrigundah Gold areas. Also within driving distance to other areas as well. Can live in coastal areas like Batemans Bay, Moruya, Broulee, Narooma. Gods country down this way.

All you can eat. :) :)
You want it, We got it.
Always get Nagged,
When are we going on another holiday. ?
My Answer,
Why should we when we live in a place
where every one comes to go on a
Holiday.
:D

Seen a few small nuggets from the Coffs Harbour area. Don't know that it is a prolific nugget area though. Plenty of State Forest to explore.
Just stay around here & buy a site on Windamere Dam mate :lol:

I have a jar of specimens on quartz that my late Grandfather supposedly found on a beach in Adelaide.

From personal experience i can tell you that between Christies beach and Port Noarlunga, along the cliff face, you will find shell and shark tooth fossils. Tumbled quartz crystals can be found in the gravel wash on the beach near the mouths of streams.

I'm sure gold must have made its way down the Onkaparinga River but I have not actively looked for gold in the area.

Brumble-Gum said:
Nuggety, if there's nuggets there is alluvial with.
Maybe BG, but I've detected in many spots where panning's been great, but not a squeak for me. Maybe the panners never got close to the source (larger & rougher gold), but then neither have I in those areas.

Deep Creek Conservation park southern fleurieu. Obviously off limits but there's detectable gold there. I remember seeing a pic of some sneaky prospectors specimen gold find somewhere on this forum. I have wondered if panning the many creeks at the sea there would return some yellow.

In Tasmania there are several coastal goldfields: Cygnet, Waterhouse, Lefroy-Back Creek (<10 Km from the coast), Beaconsfield, Doctors Rocks, and multiple places along the west coast.

Latest posts