Any Geological experts out there?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been looking at some Geological maps of my region and have noticed a very high occurrence of historic gold deposits in the Paleozoic /Devonian period where is some relationship to the location of Quaternary period usually indicated on the maps by Qa.. Most of the sites are alluvial deposits or consist of small river gold..

Anyone able to explain in laymen terms how the gold got from the bottom of the stack to the top? I guess it would be to do with faulting and uplifting.

Looks like I may have to go do a geology degree!

I don't really understand the question but will give it a crack. The gold would have originally been deposited as veins through the Devonian bedrock. The Qa is sediments which have more recently weathered of the surrounding bedrock. This is where your alluvial diggings are I assume? Do you mean the Qa gravels are higher than the Devonian bedrock? This would be strange as the Qa gravels are usually in drainage channels and flood plains downhill from the source, because they are relatively recent and there hasn't been much movement since they formed.

DD

Hi I'm new to the whole gold scene and have no idea when it comes to geology, my current knowledge is that gold is found In or near quartz. I was recently told of an old volcanic mountain where there is a deposit of gold at the base of it, indicating that the gold had washed down from above. I was wondering if someone could give a quick explanation of;

How gold is formed and in which rocks is it found?

Does it exist in volcanic rock, and which rock should I be looking for in general and on the side of this mountain?

what type of gold is likely to be found is such volcanic rocks?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks Chris

A popular misconception is that natural gold has cooled from a molten state. In fact, gold is transported though the Earths crust dissolved in warm to hot salty water. These fluids are generated in huge volumes deep in the Earths crust as water-bearing minerals dehydrate during metamorphism. Any gold present in the rocks being heated and squeezed is sweated out and goes into solution as complex ions. In this form, dissolved gold, along with other elements such as silicon, iron and sulphur, migrates wherever fractures in the rocks allow the fluids to pass. This direction is generally upwards, to cooler regions at lower pressures nearer the Earths surface. Under these conditions, the gold eventually becomes insoluble and begins to crystallise, most often enveloped by masses of white silicon dioxide, known as quartz. This association of gold and quartz forms one of the most common types of "primary gold deposits".

Veins and reefs of gold-bearing quartz can occur in many types of rock, for example around granites, in volcanic rocks or in regions of black slate, but in most cases these host rocks are not the immediate source of the gold.

Gold deposits have formed at many different times during Earths history. For example, those in Western Australia are believed to have formed about 2400 million years ago, during a period of intense metamorphism and intrusion of igneous rocks. The gold-bearing quartz reefs in Victoria are significantly younger, about 400 million years, but also owe their origin to a period of intense metamorphism in the region.

As chemical weathering and erosion gradually break down the host rocks and lower the land surface, the quartz and gold veins are eventually exposed to the atmosphere. The veins provide far more resistance to chemical attack than the surrounding rocks, so that mechanical weathering is required to fragment the quartz, thereby releasing the gold. Because they are relatively heavy, particles of gold are more difficult to move and so become naturally concentrated in the soil or in adjacent gullies or streambeds. These concentrations are known as alluvial or placer deposits and have yielded incredible riches on some goldfields, such as those in California and central Victoria.

Alluvial deposits take many forms, including sands and gravels in the beds of modern-day streams, in old river valleys buried under lava flows or perched on hilltops due to uplift of the land surface. The terms shallow and deep leads are used in Victoria for gold-bearing gravels covered by younger sedimentary layers or lava flows. These were especially important in the Ballarat district. Because of its resistance to chemical attack, gold can be recycled from one type of alluvial deposit to another.

Highlanderchris said:
Wow that's great, I don't think you could have answered that any better mate.

Cheers chris

yeah i liked that info too

Hey Chris , regarding that photo avatar on the left of your posts , someone looks familiar . you didnt marry my ex by any chance ? Her name was Vonnie

i heard she applied for a few jobs doing S & M after we split up but they said she was too damned evil with the whip or something

Tell her i want back my 1.7 million would ya ?

:cool:

also the reason why vic has so much gold is because the south pacific tectonic plate smashed into ballarat and that is one of the reasons why vic has so much gold the original shore line of Vic was just west of ballarat and theres sea shell fossils from bendigo and killmore and most of Gippsland vic that all have sea fossils and proves that the land was uplifted and folded like a peace of paper at one stage the great divide is a massive fault system :eek:

HeadsUp said:
Highlanderchris said:
Wow that's great, I don't think you could have answered that any better mate.

Cheers chris

yeah i liked that info too

Hey Chris , regarding that photo avatar on the left of your posts , someone looks familiar . you didnt marry my ex by any chance ? Her name was Vonnie

i heard she applied for a few jobs doing S & M after we split up but they said she was too damned evil with the whip or something

Tell her i want back my 1.7 million would ya ?

:cool:

Hahahaha,
no I didn't marry you ex, and I don't mind a bit of whipping in the bedroom but that's where it stops.

No thumb print on my forehead thank you, life is to short. As for your 1.7 million, I would be using that whip on her till she gave me back every last penny!!!

Sounds like you've had a bad run hope your luck has changed

Chris

Hunting the yellow said:
also the reason why vic has so much gold is because the south pacific tectonic plate smashed into ballarat and that is one of the reasons why vic has so much gold the original shore line of Vic was just west of ballarat and theres sea shell fossils from bendigo and killmore and most of Gippsland vic that all have sea fossils and proves that the land was uplifted and folded like a peace of paper at one stage the great divide is a massive fault system :eek:

I didn't even know this about about Australia. This forums so cool. It would have taken a couple of days to research this all this info.

Thanks guys

Duck,
Thank you for the information. Always expanding my knowledge on this forum.

Richard

Latest posts