amherst or creswick for detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi, i am only new to detecting and have been once to talbot, i am thinking of spending a few days at either Amherst or Creswick.
which one would be the best choice in your opinion, thanks

Hey Kirkn,

I've never been to amherst but I spent a weekend detecting at Creswick and walked away with a .2 gram nugget if that helps at all.

Research is the key on both fronts mate.
2.2 grams in Creswick last week
Terrain is a bugger where i go but a target
Is easy to identify.
If your finding lead then keep walking.
Westish from the town centre would be a good place to start :)

Is there less iron stone in Creswick than around Castlemaine (Chokem Flat)? Asking because I'm thinking of setting up a highbanker in the Chapel Flat area & need to work out how best to catch the golds there.

Creswick, is a great spot but there is a lot of pine plantations in the area. These are right on top of the old workings. The ground cover is very thick under these trees and hence could be masking a lot of small or deep targets. There is still plenty of hot ground (Similar to Castlemaine) but the thick cover gives the illusion that it is a quiet area. Listen very carefully and move slowly in these conditions and you will find gold. Any public area around the township is worth a look. I have found lots of little nuggets around this area in the past.

Hot ground is the mineralisation mate.
Might pay to study and research :)
The best advice is to get out there and dig every target
and tune your ears to your machine :)

thanks, any sugestions on some good books to read for a newbie, this site has been great for me to learn.

Kirkn,
I would highly recommend The Doug Stone books that are available. I would also recommend The DVDs that Johnathan Porter has produced. Most prospecting shops should have these.