Advice on a pinpointer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the link penfooey.
I'm not expert but I think the vibra tector type detector would be more suitable the the pin pointers.
Good luck with it and let us know how it pans out. (Pun intended :D )

Ag Man said:
After gaining interest from an other member's post I did some youtube searching & came across this vid tip to help gain depth & sensitivity with a Garret Pin Pointer. It's only a short vid but explains easy how to do it. Seems to near double the depth...(Air test.)

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/FUlewb1xGN8[/video]

Hi Ag Man,
It's a good trick. If I am out panning, I use mine to sweep around the area, but I hold it left handed and slide my hand down towards the start button until my wedding ring just starts to interfere and set it off slowly. Then I back my hand off a bit. I did some tests and it will more than double the normal depth in air.

Yep, we purchased one each of the Vibra Quatic 2. Will use it over the Chrissy break and report back!

Well we tested the Aquatic pinpointer and LOVE IT! Found quite a lot of fishing lures, sinkers etc - took pics but having probs uploading? Really wanted to show off our finds - some real gooduns! Trying to do it from work so may have an IT block on something here this end....anyway, these are good to 100 feet (good if you are a diver) we just snorkel.

I also took the GPX5000 out for a spin and even though we only found bullets, nails and the like, the pinpointer went straight to the junk. How good is this pointer...What a time saver.

Retirement is iminent - 29 January last day of work. Our son bought his dad a honda pump to go with the Walbanker! It's a little too big for what we need so will swap it for a smaller pump and be able to get the lay flat hoses etc to go with it....

When I get home and get the pic upload sorted I'll post the pics.

I love this video, and will definitely send it on to my mate with the 305.
Especially loved seeing the minelab one at work, but I guess I'm just a Garrett fella ,and will be still.

The reason why the Deteknix pinpointer (not Minelab) picks up on the gold better, is the frequency which is 95kHz vs 12 kHz (bit like comparing an Ace 250 to a GMT on small gold). The Deteknix may do better than the Garrett on the coins on an air test, but that will most likely be different when the target is in the ground. Still interesting if you want a pinpointer for locating small gold targets for $99US, I guess the next best detector would be the Falcon MD20 gold detector at 300kHz.

Not me I'm a Garrett guy, propointer works perfectly for me, scratched coins are almost a thing of the past(we are never perfect every time, just most of the time).

Can anyone please advise me of the benefits or differences in Garrett and Minelab Pinpoint locators. There seems to be a big difference in the price but the same specs. Many thanks

I own both, the biggest benefit is the Garrett I can't even carry when off anywhere near my GPX 5000. Where the minelab I can.
Other than this I don't believe much difference.

I own both as well. Can't pick much difference between them, if any. For reasons I've yet to understand, and in soils that don't appear different, sometimes one works better than the other. I think it is soil moisture, but have not done enough mucking around to verify. I prefer the handling of the Garrett.

heith1 said:
I own both as well. Can't pick much difference between them, if any. For reasons I've yet to understand, and in soils that don't appear different, sometimes one works better than the other. I think it is soil moisture, but have not done enough mucking around to verify. I prefer the handling of the Garrett.

hi
the garret pinpointer is pulse induction and the minelab is vlf that would be why in some soils one works better.
in hot ground pulse induction is usually better.
regards tm

thanks Trashmagnet - I didn't know that. And as I recently scored a Garrett pinpointer (already have a Minelab which I'm happy with) when I bought a second hand detector I'll keep that in mind.

trashmagnet said:
heith1 said:

hi
the garret pinpointer is pulse induction and the minelab is vlf that would be why in some soils one works better.
regards tm

Incorrect, both are VLF pinpointers running around 12kHz, the only pinpointers on the market are the Pistol Probe and the Vibratector range pinpointers. The Minelab Pro-find has adjustable sensitivity, allowing it to be de-tuned in highly reactive soils to prevent falsing, whereas the Propointer does not. :)

Goldpick said:
trashmagnet said:
heith1 said:

hi
regards tm

Incorrect, both are VLF pinpointers running around 12kHz, the only pinpointers on the market are the Pistol Probe and the Vibratector range pinpointers. The Minelab Pro-find has adjustable sensitivity, allowing it to be de-tuned in highly reactive soils to prevent falsing, whereas the Propointer does not. :)

are you sure mate?, I thought the reason the garret sends a lot of 5000 p.i's crazy cause it is p.i, vlf's don't effect p.i machines as much as the garret does.
and you can de-tune the garret by hitting the button again while it's near the dirt to make it less sensitive or near metal to make the field smaller for more finer pin pointing
regards

Many thanks everyone for your input. At least there are no major differences and like most detectors have pros and cons. Again much obliged. Brivey

trashmagnet said:
Goldpick said:
trashmagnet said:
heith1 said:

hi
regards tm

are you sure mate?, I thought the reason the garret sends a lot of 5000 p.i's crazy cause it is p.i, vlf's don't effect p.i machines as much as the garret does.
and you can de-tune the garret by hitting the button again while it's near the dirt to make it less sensitive or near metal to make the field smaller for more finer pin pointing
regards

Positive on that. Doesn't matter even if it were a PI pinpointer, my ace 250 goes nuts if it is anywhere near my Garrett Infinium, likewise with the GPX5000, it doesn't behave if near the Infinium either. The Minelab Pro-find disengages its magnetic field when turned off, to avoid interfering with detectors like the gpx5000, whereas the garrett doesn't have this ability, hence why people have issues with them near PI detectors. :)

Latest posts