4x4 sleeping in

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. Thanks for the advise and I will have a look for one and see how much I'm up for.

kleinman98 said:
Ok. Thanks for the advise and I will have a look for one and see how much I'm up for.
I hunted around for a year and eventually found one up north for $8000, no rust, no beach work. The average price on one is around $20,000, even the old 1970 vintage ones are going for that which is why they are a good long term investment. Just hunt around and you will get one for a good price.

Well I finally bit the bullet and bought a 2001 V6 Prado for $7100. Will pick it up tomorrow

Awwwwww crikey! It's about 1 foot too short in the back, laying corner to corner was not too bad.

Though I did work out, yesterday after thinking some more. You can move the front passenger seat fully forward, remove the headrest, lay it right back almost level with the back seat. Then lay the back seat right down, lay in the back seat with legs over the front seat. Nearly drifted off after 10 mins just testing it, will try that next time. It's like a comfy dentists chair.

One night I think is ok but will take the tent for longer trips. Still very happy with my Prado, they get places a car won't go effortlessly. Though not happy about the alternator getting noisy, needs new bearings, will get it done next week.

That's a good price you got on a Prado.

Haha sounds cosy. Could probably use a folding camp stretcher in there to get over the lumps and bumps so to speak.

I am deep in thought at the moment about making up some flyscreens for the car windows and maybe a removeable awning in case it rains at night. I will measure the Prado rear doors later and make a template.

kleinman98 said:
Haha sounds cosy. Could probably use a folding camp stretcher in there to get over the lumps and bumps so to speak.

inflatable mattresses are sometimes used

cheap.

but in winter , use one that is flocked or coated in an insulating layer

and 12 volt air pumps are only $ 10 for those with angina/heart valve issues whatever

Thats a steal for a 01' prado, paid about 3 grand more for mine a couple of years ago and its an older 90 series. Good buy though, the V6 motors are pretty tough if you look after them. :cool:

Well thanks to the generosity of a good friend, I managed to modify a fold up single bed that just fits nicely in the back of the Prado so no need to set up a tent. Hope to meet up some of you in about 6 weeks time. :D

kleinman98 said:
Well thanks to the generosity of a good friend, I managed to modify a fold up single bed that just fits nicely in the back of the Prado so no need to set up a tent. Hope to meet up some of you in about 6 weeks time. :D

Hi any chance of seeing a photo or 2?

Wolfau said:
kleinman98 said:

Its easy enough to fit a single bed in the Prado however I am getting too old to sleep in confined places so now setting up a 17ft caravan with all luxuries.

kleinman98 said:
Wolfau said:
kleinman98 said:

Its easy enough to fit a single bed in the Prado however I am getting too old to sleep in confined places so now setting up a 17ft caravan with all luxuries.

Its easier being in a 4x4 though. Park anywhere set
up a fire Place organise some food then go to bed.

Im thinking of buying a prado. If i do I will remove
the rear seats, Build a light bed frame 10" off the floor,
add a tv and add a Nice esky where it stays cool for 4
days and that would suit Me perfectly.

Currently I drive for 90 minutes do 4 hours of detecting
then head back. Would be nice to stay overnight sleeping
Securely in your Car with gear left under the bed.

Thanks for replying back.

Latest posts