4x4 sleeping in

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kleinman98

John Kleinman
Reaction score
Most of you use 4x4s when you hit the road so hopefully you can give me some advice.

I'm looking for a 4x4 for prospecting and want to sleep in it sometimes so are there any that can sleep one adult in the back ie., 1.8mtrs to 2 mtrs?

My son sleeps in a cruiser he is about 6'3". He made drawers to give a sleeping platform. Back seat removed
Pajero has just 1.8 to the back doors if you take out a back seat. Could move the passenger seat forward a bit to squeeze a bit more.

I'm going to try sleeping in my Prado this weekend, will let you know, I'm about 6ft. The middle seats fold foward and I took the small rear ones out. Here's hoping it's comfy.

I have a Prado, a 2001 3L T and have taken the dickie seats out also, fold the back seats down when we go away for more storage.
Made a simple ply area that is removable in 2 minutes.
best thing I ever did with it.
1381305765_a028.jpg

search on gumtree and ebay for camper 4x4 to see pictures of ones other people have done

enclosed wagon like a troopy with drawers on the bottom and a bed on top is a common option

or a ute with a work body / camper box on the tray , you can either sleep inside the body or put a rooftop tent on top

depends how often you intend going and what you want to spend

slide on campers are another option so you can still use the ute for work

A great idea with vehicles during summer is to carry some fly screen wire mesh (not shade cloth) and roll down the windows and slam the doors on the mesh... Instant fly and mozzie screens... Works perfectly.. :)

When I was looking for my Prado I saw a lot of troopies pretty much set up ready to go, actually my mate has 1 for sale, would have bought it if I could drive a manual. Wish they came in auto also. Can't drive a manual due to a brain injury, weak on 1 side, well I could try but would not be pretty to watch. :)

I'm with ya Kawman, was thinking about that yesterday.

Top setup Redfin, I'm just gonna roll out my mattress and sleep on the floor in the back, I've slept in worse spots before. I have a carpenter mate who has a Prado too, might have to have a chat about something similar with him.

Troopies are getting a bit old now though. Great idea with the flyscreen. It so happens that The family and I went camping at Yalwal weekend before last, just after the high winds and Someone had left their damaged tent there so I got the sharp knife out and now a proud owner of some fine flyscreen. Woohoo

kleinman98 said:
Troopies are getting a bit old now though. Great idea with the flyscreen. It so happens that The family and I went camping at Yalwal weekend before last, just after the high winds and Someone had left their damaged tent there so I got the sharp knife out and now a proud owner of some fine flyscreen. Woohoo

did you do any prospecting at yalwal ?

the council tells me you can use a boat there if its powered by an electric trolling motor , petrol outboards are banned though

still waiting for an answer on panning and detecting there , hoping to get a win on that question if its carried out without creating turbidity in the dam

regarding that tent , maybe they didnt leave it there intentionally , they might have had it blown away in those high winds and thought it stolen . lol

Nah the tent was in the bin area and all the poles were broken along with about 5 gazebos all broken.

All I got there was iron. And the usual crap that others couldnt be bothered to take with them.
Some rail spikes and bits of horseshoes.

HeadsUp said:
kleinman98 said:
Troopies are getting a bit old now though.l
I would highly recommend getting a Troopy. They may be old but they will go anywhere, you can get parts for them everywhere which is important in the bush and they have dual 90 litre tanks so you have range. You can also sleep in the back of them easily and have a tonne of storage still. They will also retain their resale value if you look after them.

I just bought a 1999, FZJ75RV model Troopy, it's dual fuel so I am only paying 77c a litre for LPG now. Mine came with a dual battery setup, upgraded suspension and a set of outback draws in it and you can fit a tonne of stuff in them.

I am decking it out right now so I can sleep in the back and use it for camping out in the bush.

Latest posts