4WD Maps App

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I never rely on mobile coverage out in the sticks even with a high gain external antenna. Hence the Hema HN7 in the car, and a Garmin Montana handheld for wandering around in the bush. The Garmin also goes in powered cradles on the bars of the bikes, so pretty much covers everything I need.

Just found some 25K Ozraster maps of NSW and QLD to load onto to the HN7, keen to give those a try.

Personally, nothing beats OziExplorer moving maps with Natmaps, Gold & Ghosts maps, 100k Geology maps hooked up to my laptop.
Mainly use the Geology maps when in the goldfields looking for CZL.
No mobile service in most areas so associated gadgets are useless.

bundyjd said:
Yeah, I never rely on mobile coverage out in the sticks even with a high gain external antenna. Hence the Hema HN7 in the car, and a Garmin Montana handheld for wandering around in the bush. The Garmin also goes in powered cradles on the bars of the bikes, so pretty much covers everything I need.

Just found some 25K Ozraster maps of NSW and QLD to load onto to the HN7, keen to give those a try.

FYI - the HN7 Ozi 4WD option needs .OZF4 format map files to work. There is an App on the Ozi web site you can download called IMG2OZF which converts multi format maps to this format.

condor22 said:
bundyjd said:

FYI - the HN7 Ozi 4WD option needs .OZF4 format map files to work. There is an App on the Ozi web site you can download called IMG2OZF which converts multi format maps to this format.

Yeah mate, the maps I've got are in .ozf4 and .map format, so I just need to copy them and the Hema maps onto a bigger capacity microSD card as they won't all fit on the card that came in the unit. I have converted all of the NSW & Qld goldmine coordinates I had in .gpx format for the Montana to .wpt files and put them on the card, and now it takes the 4WD mode on the HN7 a while to load all of those up, hopefully the extra maps won't make that worse. I guess the index function should sort that out with any luck....

I hear what ya's are saying with mobile apps but with the Hema apps there are offline basemaps as well as the ability to download specific areas to use offline from the online mapping options like satellite image maps, street maps, quick routes etc. I tested the Explorer Pro with all data turned off (wifi + mobile data) & was still able to get a good resolution on NSW topo maps offline.
A lot of people that complain about mobile apps not working offline usually try to get a better resolution than what the baseline maps allow which in the past has been limited due to data size.
Mobile device apps have come a long way & will continue to improve too. Definitely not the be all & end all yet but by the same token definitely not entirely useless if you have the right one & understand it's limitations + how to use them correctly for offline situations.

fossickingfreddy said:
I haven't actually tried this but I would assume that even though you would have to buy the app twice. Once from Apple and once from Google. You could use the one subscription on both platforms if you are using the same Hema cloud account.

I use an Android phone and an iPad but so far only have the Android app.

Hema said:
If you are purchasing the Hema Explorer app on a separate, i.e.: on Android OR / AND Apple, you will need to purchase the Pro Subscription independently on both those platforms for that app sorry to say.
Bugger :(

I was going to purchase the Hema explorer app last night but on reading all the reviews most are really bagging it ? Saying not enough detail in off road maps and also screaming about the ongoing subscription costs. Many are asking for refunds and wanting to go back to previous versions ? That's Android app I should have added
Put me on hold regards this at the moment :(

I'm pretty sure that the old 1:250k map is still there if they find the updated 1:150k or 1:9k has less detail? Just checked & yep it's still there & usable. Maybe they don't know how to change between the different maps or make various maps active to increase detail yet?
Also checked the same area on both maps & it showed the same detail but way better resolution with the updated map + Pro version. Some details do seem to dissappear when you zoom right in but a simple solution would be to drop a waypoint on anything of interest like an old mine etc.
Like I said previously I had issues after updating then buying the subscription. I didn't get the 1:9k resolution initially & it went into a constant state of downloading but Hema fixed it promptly after I let them know. I seen the reviews but put them down to people jumping the gun a bit. Could be other issues I haven't struck yet to so maybe best to see how it pans out?
Might start to see a few positive reviews coming thru I reckon as people adjust to it ;)

Re Detail,

Apart from what comes with the Hema HN7, Some of my maps are;

• Auslig 1:250,000 (entire country)[/*]
  • VIC, SA, NSW 1:100,000[/*]
  • TAS 1:100,000[/*]
  • SA 1:50,000[/*]
  • VIC 1:25,000 (VICMAP)[/*]
  • NSW 1:25,000[/*]
  • Flinders Ranges, Yorke Penisula 1:25,000[/*]

All of these maps are Australian Topographical produced by the Army Survey Corp. However, the primary and common difference between each of the scales noted is that the larger the scale (the small figure after the colon), the more detail they show.

A large scale map shows a small area, but in great detail. A map showing a large area, i.e. an entire country, is considered a small scale map.

250k shows major roads, some minor roads and major tracks, plus towns mainly as a shaded blob.
100k same as 250k plus most minor roads and medium tracks.
50k more detail again
25k shows the most detail including most tracks and town streets that would have been available to aerial photography when the map was produced and augmented by map to ground checking done by RAASVY.

Yeah realise that - that's what makes the complaints about the 1:250k previous basemaps having more details than the 1:150k standard update or 1:9k pro version a bit confusing to me. I'm seeing a lot more AWD/4WD tracks etc. now on my areas of interest but haven't studied every detail Australia wide :lol:

The Ozraster maps I'm loading are sourced from NSW Land and Property Information (LPI) 2012 and Qld Government Natural Resources and Water (NR&W) 2013.

I'll eventually try and source some 25K maps for the other states, but those are the areas I mainly play in for now.

Latest posts