4WD Maps App

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeathKiss

George Popa
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
can you please advise which is the best 4WD maps app for apple device?
I have mini ipad in dash and i`m using at this stage the Copilot Gps Navigation app but some of the off roads are not listed at all :(
Really appreciate,
DeathKiss
:8

We run Hema and memory map...
I might end up buying mud maps as well.....
Also run a Hema navigator gps ....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

DrDuck said:
HI DK

I have been using Memory Map on my PC and IPhone, and it works very well. You need to buy the maps, but considering what you get, I think they are good value.

http://memory-map.com.au/

I love memory map. I can import layers the I have downloaded from GeoVic so I have all the shallow diggings marked as well as deep leads. You do have to do a small conversion to get them in the correct format but its pretty easy.

The other good thing about memory maps is you only need to buy the topo map you need ie I only bought the Vic ones.

I run HEMA on the in-car GPS.
For my iPhone I run both Handy GPS (uses Google Earth imagery) which is good to find my way back to the car (never needed - touch wood), drop waypoints etc.
I also use Avenza PDF Maps on my iPhone, as I now like to create my own moving geo-referenced maps.
For example with PDF Maps I can create a geoVic map (free) with all the detail and at whatever scale I want, geo-reference it and load it to the iPhone. I also use Google Earth imagery (free) or Australian Geoscience maps (free and already georeferenced). On these maps, I can overlay Tenement boundaries of areas that I wish to explore (and be able to prove if challenged) to ensure that I stay within permitted boundaries of a Section E40 etc. Even the DEPI maps are available (free) and pre-georeferenced. The image below (aerial photography) is a collection of tenements in outback WA - created in high res (able to distinguish individual trees and small tracks) but reduced here to fit image size limits.
You can see that there are many options available, depending on your requirements, budget and willingness to put in some effort.
1471923755_tenements_-_low_res.jpg

You get what you pay for.

I use Hema Navigator "Road" for the bitumen and it's 4WD app off road. The 4WD app is based on Oziexplorer, the maps it comes with are pretty good Topo maps and any Ozi .OZF4 format map can be loaded to add better detail, ie Vicmap 25k or NSW 25k.

I also use Ozi Android on my GalaxyS4 and the full PC version on my laptop. All maps, tracks and waypoints are transferable between all devices. You can record trips live or pre plan and follow the track created at home.

The only downside for your need, is that Ozi doesn't support I phone or Apple OS.

I use Android mostly however PDFmaps is on both and is free for private use. You need to supply your own georeferenced PDFs though. I create mine out of whatever I like using ArcMap. I use ArcMap at work but you can get a private use licence for about US$100. There are probably cheaper ways of doing the PDFs though.

Hema have two apps.
There is the original 4wd Maps that is based on Memory Maps that is like the software on their Hema Navigators. I think they changed from Oziexplorer to Memory Maps on those but not sure. Haven't used one in years. This app is iOS only.

There is also Hema Explorer which is available on both. This seems to be the app they are progressing. It has been available for a couple of years but just had an update. Cost is cheaper than the other one initially but now includes a subscription to get higher resolution maps.
If you are on Telstra prepaid you can pay the subscription and app cost via Google Play with your Prepaid credit so it is effectively free. This app isn't terribly user friendly though and the update didn't address this problem. It is also a bit buggy for me at the moment.

There are also a heap of apps based on Open Street Map. On iOS I use Maps.me which works offline. I've only tried a few but this was the best one I tried. From memory it is free.
The best thing about OSM mapping is you can add and edit the maps from a computer that go live for all users nearly immediately. It might take a while to update in app though as the app developer might only do monthly etc map updates.
So you can add any bush tracks you find so long as you want to share your favourite spots.

I'm using Hema Explorer Pro on android. Had a few issues after the update or moreso after I got the Pro subscription but Hema seem to have fixed it now.
The topographic maps on Pro have a resolution of 1:9k Australia-wide. Had been using the Explorer app for awhile before the update & I liked it before but like it even more now.
I played around with a few different ones before getting the Hema app. Had a look at a mates Hema HN7 Navigator & liked the set up but didn't want to spend $600 on a standalone unit so the Explorer app was the next best thing. I find it fairly user friendly & haven't had any trouble doing anything you'd expect to be able to like upload waypoints from kml/kmz files, drop waypoints, create tracks, set quick routes etc. etc. I like the Hema Cloud feature too in that it syncs & backs up any changes I make once I'm back on wireless or I can use phone data if wanted. I can also easily share waypoints or sync my waypoints/tracks etc. across multiple devices too. If your using the same platform i.e. android or apple then downloading the app + subscription is no extra. If you have an ipad but an android phone then you'll need to buy one of each platform.
I guess most people will just suggest what they are used to or comfortable with so if you can try a few different ones & see what you find best. Plenty of good suggestions to work from.

mbasko said:
If your using the same platform i.e. android or apple then downloading the app + subscription is no extra. If you have an ipad but an android phone then you'll need to buy one of each platform.

I haven't actually tried this but I would assume that even though you would have to buy the app twice. Once from Apple and once from Google. You could use the one subscription on both platforms if you are using the same Hema cloud account.

I use an Android phone and an iPad but so far only have the Android app.

Cheap doesn't always give the results you want need ......
Spend a bit and get Memory Map (think it's the same as Hema these days) .... MM shows lots of old gold workings that are often overlooked.
Bloody hell what am I doing, DON'T under circumstances buy Mem-Map, it's crap. Chuckle chuckle
Seriously we spend a shit load on detectors, cars, fuel, why waste it by not getting to where the gold is.
Cheers Tom

fossickingfreddy said:
mbasko said:
If your using the same platform i.e. android or apple then downloading the app + subscription is no extra. If you have an ipad but an android phone then you'll need to buy one of each platform.

I haven't actually tried this but I would assume that even though you would have to buy the app twice. Once from Apple and once from Google. You could use the one subscription on both platforms if you are using the same Hema cloud account.

I use an Android phone and an iPad but so far only have the Android app.
Yeah not sure. I've asked Hema the question & I'll let you know. If so I might have to pinch the missus's ipad & download it on that too.
I did have a cheap android tablet but the partition wasn't big enough for too many maps so no.1 daughter plays games on it now.

The only problem with using a mobile App of any kind out bush, is if you rely on a mobile signal to download an interactive map.
If you can download and save the map file that's great.

I go into the VIC goldfields with an Optus smart phone and a Telstra "blue tick" mobile and even with the 9dB gain bull bar antenna, there are many places that don't get a signal on either network.

FYI I was recently in Dunolly at the Van Park and although I get reception on both networks there, I recently found out that their Telstra tower being somewhat older has not yet been upgraded to 4G, I was told by some of the residents that it is still 3G. I don't know about Optus, I should have checked.

Here's a link to a comparison of the Hema HN7, Hema Explorer App and the 4WD Maps Apps.

http://www.hemamaps.com/en/HN7/Hema-Digital-Product-Comparison

Latest posts