GPS Mapping/Wapoints - Garmin

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All.
I'm just after recommendations or suggestions as to which GPS Waypoint package would specifically suit gold detecting best? ie. showing mines etc. I'm using Garmin units (GPS MAP 78s & GPS MAP 60CS) While having many mobile device mapping Apps etc I'd prefer to have the backup also of a GPS in the field. I know location data can be manually transposed into the GPS but this is obviously time consuming. BTW cheap/free is best ;)

They are great GPS units that you describe.
There is indeed a file here somewhere that Nugget put up that you can load to your 60cs.
I used it as layers, ie select which map you want to use as a base map.
Sorry I dont know where to find it, but someone here might!!!
(If you fail, I have the files somewhere here on a HDD)

Thanks Simmo.
I'll see what other info turns up here for a bit, otherwise I'll take up your offer. I've seen 'free' USB's given away with purchases so thinking these waypoints may be freeware. Possibly these might be compatible if I can get a copy.

Nah man, the real deal is here on this site. Or as I said, I can search here for it.

my recent experience , bought a magellan 710 top of the line , joined the magellan club but they don't answer the phone,, if you hunt state forests then you need to carry a gps to know your location in relation to the boundaries you allowed to be in, went to the nsw shot show to find out about mapping from magellan,,,, no magellan ppl there , garmin reps were there, but not magellan,,,, ok stumbled across the game council nsw stand, the rep showed me how to use my smartphone to download the maps for the forest you are using , the rep was wonderful in explaining how it all works ....easy as , the gps data is always there , even if there is no voice available, and he told me that they no longer use magellan for mapping, so the moral of the story if you have a smart phone you can use it as a gps simple ehhhhh mmmm magellan whats up doc !!!!!!

Magellan once had maps which included gold fossicking points of interest. I was a Magellan dealer up until I encountered an attitude problem with their Australian CEO around the time GST came in. Then gave away the Garmin dealership when they reduced margins to 10%!.
The best APP Ive found is Avenza Maps but each goldfield map is $13.99. The Topos are reasonably priced at $1.49. There is MotionX too which works as a GPS. Call me old fashioned but I still like the reliable handheld GPS.

gidday all am buying a garmin etrax 22x gps just asking if anyone has one or used one to give me an idea what is it like to use and is it any good in a prospecting sense am new to tech so any help would be nice thanks