2nd time Iron

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day .Had my.2nd timeout ever. first full day out yay. ....
Black Hill Ballarat.Noo gold.But found an Old Chisel and a Big 12 inch bolt and 5 small iron prices.. and 2 hot rocks.they get you heart going.then stop.Istill had fun learning!

Is itJust the same.If I'm finding small iron am I going to find small gold.Am I doing it correctly??if I'm just going iron.Any info would be appreciated greatly,

DiggerDaddyMack said:
G'day .Had my.2nd timeout ever. first full day out yay. ....
Black Hill Ballarat.Noo gold.But found an Old Chisel and a Big 12 inch bolt and 5 small iron prices.. and 2 hot rocks.they get you heart going.then stop.Istill had fun learning!

Is itJust the same.If I'm finding small iron am I going to find small gold.Am I doing it correctly??if I'm just going iron.Any info would be appreciated greatly,

Unfortunately, iron has a much stronger response than gold. So to answer your question, small gold will be much quieter than the same size in iron.

If you're finding shotgun pellets then you and your detector are operating well and will give you a better representation of in ground gold targets than old iron.

G'day Ded. Thanx for the welcome ?
I think my machine and I are starting to work together. Learning every day ?.
Just gotta sweep some clean ground. just keep sweeping just keep sweeping.Its coming soon.? Good luck out there mate.

Get yourself a 25" DD X Mack, then you can get all the BIG DEEP JUNK that nobody else can get to. I have it all man, Brake Drums, Aluminium Cans, Disc Plows, Car Parts, and it's all mine, ALL MINE!!!! Hahahahahaha!!
1578606257_91458928-crazy-emoji-isolated-on-white-background-silly-face-emoticon-3d-rendering.jpg

bit hard to tell from the photo, but does look like pyrite to me.
More knowledgeable rocksmiths might confirm for you.
also, on the big, really big, & giant coils, they cover a lot of ground, & as DS is finding, cover more/deeper trash at one time.
If you are still finding your feet (pun intended :p ), in trashy areas a smaller-moderate size coil will be easier as it covers less trash.
An 11" is a good starting point. Even a 15" will cover a lot of trash.
Other option in high trash (if the ground isn't too hot & you think there's a good chance of shallow gold) is pull out a good VLF that can discriminate. This can weed out a lot of the bigger crap. Note, small/tiny flaky rusty bits can still fool a VLF too.

G'day reynard.
Thank you for the welcome and your info. Its only a cheapo detector but IM finding by adjusting the discrimination over targets. naaaah naaaah on iron and a little tiny yepyep. But most of the time it a tin can or bottle tops but the :goldnugget: will come. Thanx again good luck out there. :pickshovel:

hey Moneybox, last time I was out north of Kal on an old campsite, there was soooooo much rusty flakes & bits of iron/steel in the ground that it just wasn't feasible to detect it with a PI. There's a limit on how many false targets you want to dig in each square metre :awful:
I wished I had my MXT Pro with me. Yes the discrimination might take out a nugget, but if it finds even a tiny piece in amongst all that then its worthwhile having a crack at it.

Thanx for all the great advice ?.
Much appreciated.Miners exchange is closed until end of January ?.
I will uprade in good time.Its keeping out of the pubs and Im walking heaps. I've got a day trip coming up using good detector I probably want to upgrade.if I find anything.Good guys ?

Latest posts