27mhz or UHF CB radio discussion

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any activity on 11 mtrs now??
To my knowledge there is still enough activity, but it is less littered with the clowns that seem to have moved to UHF.
In my youth the UHF handheld would ping a repeater in the city from about 8km, that allowed me to reach into the hills and talk with
my girlfriend.
Cant get to the repeater now, too much rubbish on that frequency much closer to it these days.

My purpose was to get the girls trying out for and listening to 'skip', running it around when camping it would be an interesting activity.

I think skip will be quite poor for a couple more years due to the solar activity... search for DX predictions, there are many available then read up on 28Mhz or 10 meter predications.. which sits just above CB 27Mhz so will be indicitive

Hi BigL, yeah it's just a hobby / interest that I am trying to get my girls a taste of that experience as I am no Ham operator.
They are very familiar with using UHF CB.
If it is poor, so be it but that will make a contact sweeter.
đź‘Ť

Re band conditions, the predictors are not always accurate. Quite often you will find 10m (28 MHz) working well and and 11m dead as a tack, and vice-versa. Summer months Dec - May are always the best, with the odd openings here and there at other times of the year.

Just as a heads up for anyone looking at a 27MHz Hand-held whilst I know someone here will argue the point - they are useless to say the least.

Hungry on batteries, range is very poor even on sideband, they are heavy, the antenna supplied is a dud - base loaded quarter wave, you would get better performance using a telescopic whip 1M long, but then it's a bit of a handful. The receiver is most of these are very poor performance wise as well.

As for the 'mentioned' mod, if you go transmitting on Amateur bands (which is what the mod mostly covers) then you will draw a lot of unwanted attention to yourself and potentially a visit from the ACMA.

I like the idea of a base station, a bit big to lug around but once home it would be use full.
The whole idea was to teach my kids about radio comms with 'skip' on the 27mhz range, and to get them to build an antenna and then prove it works.
A science experiment just to twig their minds with a real world out come, while camping.

I have a truck load of UHF radios, handheld and car mounted, the kids are very familiar with those.

27mhz hand held, been there and done that in my teens, not going there again, cheers.

I like the idea of a base station, a bit big to lug around but once home it would be use full.
The whole idea was to teach my kids about radio comms with 'skip' on the 27mhz range, and to get them to build an antenna and then prove it works.
A science experiment just to twig their minds with a real world out come, while camping.

I have a truck load of UHF radios, handheld and car mounted, the kids are very familiar with those.

27mhz hand held, been there and done that in my teens, not going there again, cheers.
My understanding of 'Skip' can occur when multiple users flood the airways and the frequencies combine to boost the airways.. ?
I've mainly used 27 MHz am and only ever used SSB on the commercial fishing vessels years ago.

Good hobby to keep going. I'll see if I can find a decent receiver for you.
Skip ( no pun) lol

G'Day CE

you would get better performance using a telescopic whip 1M long

This reminds me of a few times when I went looking for a CB for the 4x4 and wanted 1 of these aerials, but with a base station in the car.

So my idea was to be able to slide a hand held into the base while in the car and take it with you when you r mobile out of the car.

But, no one seemed to offer anything and anyone I asked said is was not on !!!

I always thought they want to sell me 2xCBs not one :(

It's simple to have a handheld in the car, just the output watts is lower than a true vehicle mount radio and a good antenna.

A UHF handheld is an easy adaption for antenna changes, a car mounted antenna, and the original little whip.
Some of the newer car mount are so small you could fit them in your pocket anyway.
I carry 6 handhelds when camping, more if others are with us.

For the 27mhz unit the kids were going to build 'long wire' antenna's to loft up one end into tree's, or pull out horizontally between tree's, dipoles too.
All just for fun and a challenge.

This is the G5RV 51ft unit i have set up at home. Great general purpose aerial.

View attachment 2780
What do you use the G5 on Jaros? I have one - makes a great shortwave antenna, albeit with a tuner. Same deal with a TX they need a tuner, although they do work on 20m without one. Getting them high enough is the challenge, as the ladder line should ideally be vertical as it is part of the antenna.

Hi CE i use the G5RV thru a ICOM 706 and LDG-700 Auto tuner. It's a pity that we are getting all these houses building higher than the antenna but ---that's called progress--and the parrots eating the cable as well.

Hi CE i use the G5RV thru a ICOM 706 and LDG-700 Auto tuner. It's a pity that we are getting all these houses building higher than the antenna but ---that's called progress--and the parrots eating the cable as well.
Are you an amateur? I don't get on much these days, but on HF my preference is digital. Olivia, MSFK, PSK, Hell etc.

G'Day GH

It's simple to have a handheld in the car, just the output watts is lower than a true vehicle mount radio and a good antenna.

Sorry 4 the confusion, I want a handheld, but I want to slide it into a 'base station' in the 4x4 and use the vehicles

- Bat. to charge the handheld
- Speakers of the car audio
- Microphone of the car audio
- The 1mtr antenna mounted on the bull bar like Cranky Emu was talking about above

A UHF handheld is an easy adaption for antenna changes, a car mounted antenna, and the original little whip.

I'm a bit confused by this, I'm not the sharpest in the shed, you have to explain thing S L O W L Y and take little steps !!!!

Some of the newer car mount are so small you could fit them in your pocket anyway.

Do you have a link to 1 you would recommend ?

Latest posts