⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my very first specie yesterday.
Not much but looks good in the nugget jar :)

1540792343_resized_20181029_163040_8815.jpg

1540792361_resized_20181029_163134_2164.jpg

Hey Skip,

I don't mean to burst your bubble but is there any visible gold on your specie? I am wondering if that silver stuff is what is making your detector sound off?

No idea what it may be - galena? Silver?

Of course, I do hope there is a nice golden surprise inside ;) :goldnugget:

Northeast said:
Hey Skip,

I don't mean to burst your bubble but is there any visible gold on your specie? I am wondering if that silver stuff is what is making your detector sound off?

I was wondering the same thing when I saw it Northeast. Looked more silver than gold to me. Perhaps a reflection off the 10 cents with the flash?

Northeast said:
Hey Skip,

I had a closer look. There's only a tiny bit in one corner. The other stuff does look like silver.

Edit: I got it at Mogo NSW and I think there was a fair bit of silver around that area back in the day.

Yeah. It shines in the sun. I knew it had silver in it. Better than my usual blue metal lol

Skip said:
Northeast said:
Hey Skip,

I had a closer look. There's only a tiny bit in one corner. The other stuff does look like silver.

Edit: I got it at Mogo NSW and I think there was a fair bit of silver around that area back in the day.
I worked at Mogo for a bit. I'm a bit doubtful about it being silver unless you freshly smashed up a larger bit of quartz (silver rapidly oxidises to other minerals in the soil). There was a fair amount of galena there, usually with pyrite and arsenopyrite, but it looks a bit silvery for that.

Hey Goldie I was panning near dog trap creek. I did smash up a few bits of quartz and just panned the lot with a shovel full of creek dirt. I Also got a few specs of gold out of same pan.

Skip said:

Good work then :Y: Every bit of gold is a beauty.

And if that is silver on it then it is even more special. I sell most of my gold but I think I would hold onto a quartz/gold/silver specie - very special :heart: