⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome finds guys. Love the pics reeks!
I snuck away after work on Friday and got in a swing yesty. I decided to run the elite on the 45 and hit the hills. The area has been heavily detected since the beginning of detectors. I was very pleased to get these bits in an area with what seemed like more pick holes than trees.
That elite really does impress me as does the nf 17x13. Both incredibly good all rounders.
Cheers.
1442100138_p_20150912_111533.jpg

1442100179_p_20150913_091344.jpg

1442100296_p_20150912_093018.jpg

Reeks said:
Nothing better than heading over the mountains and coming home with some great memories and a bit of colour.
Steve01 and his wife are great people, thanks for letting Wally and I crash your camp.
Wally, your >1grammer will come mate, probably in a big way i'm thinking- I had a bit of luck on my side this trip :)

Swingin my old sd2200d with my favourite 14" coiltek DD Pro Elite coil.
The 2.7g was picked up at 11" and was hardly a signal until leaf matter was moved away.
Biggest piece went 3.16g
Enjoy
Awesome work mate, great photos. Well done! Wish I was there to see them come out of the ground.

These are my smallest nugget finds to date - .05gm and .06gm. Not my smallest find with the GPZ - that honour goes to a small staple found down about 5 inches. What impressed me most about these tiny specs was that they were found in heavy ironstone ground. There were loads of hot rocks everywhere which made it all the more challenging.
I may not get rich from these finds but the satisfaction of pulling them from difficult ground is very rewarding.
1442102929_file-12-09-2015-6-09-17-pm.jpg

walshie1000 said:
Awesome finds guys. Love the pics reeks!
I snuck away after work on Friday and got in a swing yesty. I decided to run the elite on the 45 and hit the hills. The area has been heavily detected since the beginning of detectors. I was very pleased to get these bits in an area with what seemed like more pick holes than trees.
That elite really does impress me as does the nf 17x13. Both incredibly good all rounders.
Cheers.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4955/1442100138_p_20150912_111533.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4955/1442100179_p_20150913_091344.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4955/1442100296_p_20150912_093018.jpg
Nice nugget there Walshie, thats not bad for size at all mate. They're getting bigger. That retirement nugget must be just around the corner. :)

What are your thoughts on removing the quartz and ironstone from my bigger specimen? Yes or no?
I'm gonna remove the ironstone from the smaller pieces as I'm using that gold to get Ash's ring made. Just threw one piece in hydrochloric acid to see how it goes. Started to break down the ironstone in as little as 10 mins however I think its going to take a few days to clean it right up.
Cheers

Hi Walshie, Be very carefull when cleaning the ironstone off as you can find that the speci falls apart as quite often its the ironstone holding it together. Also when cleaning with a toothbrush to remove the ironstone be very gentle as if you are to rough you will find gold specs in the bottom of you water cotainer. Just my experience from cleaning my speci's.

Rgds

MArk

Nice walshie, That one on the coin is a better size. Ya reckon it will go a gram?
Congrats if it does.

Thanks for the info mate. I think I'll leave the bigger one as its quite fragile already. I like how it has ironstone and pink quartz attached anyways. I've got heaps of little solid nuggets so its cool to have a unique speci.
I've thrown all my solid little nugs with ironstone on them in the acid and I'm gonna leave them for a few days. Ironstone has already come off one of them after an hour or so.
Thanks mate

Hi All,

Did a bit of research last week and decided to hit an old surfaced area in the GT with the SDC2300. My experiment was to mark out a 10mx10m grid and then break it into 1mx1m segments. I then proceeded to work each square extremely slowly [actually spent 6hrs] to complete. At the end I was left with 31 pieces for a total of 1.64 grams. I was very happy and the site looks very promising as I have plenty more to cover. Cant wait to go back and do the same experiment and see the results. It makes me think what would happen if I was to take say a wheelbarrow load of the clay and run it through my sluice would I extract more, it does make you wonder.

1442124609_optimized-img_20150912_184510.jpg

Rgds

tryhard

Ya not wrong SteelPat,
Its all the more rewarding in difficult ground. Though detecting in semi benign soil would be nice once in a while :/

Awesome work tryhard, great effort!! I'm glad to see ya smashin it. Cant wait to seeing what else you can muster up on ya patch. Looking forward to scouring some ground myself after seeing these posts.. :)

Well done reeks. We have a great time must do it again. Let me no when you are heading out again.

Hey Reeks...

in that list of pictures (can't quote the post) the last one has a picture with a magnetic nugget known as "fools Gold" :eek:

Send it my way and i will add it to my growing collection of FAKES! :p :p

Bwahahahaha :lol:

Gypsy

At last my first piece of gold 0.21g. Yahoo! :D
The find was all thanks to Mark of Gold Prospecting Australia. I went out for a training day in Bendigo with GPA last Saturday. I highly recommend their training. I learnt a lot.
I was using my new GPX4500 (only the 2nd time I'd used it). Mark was kind enough to share his favourite 4500 settings and loan me a ML 8" mono best suited to finding small gold. I'm sure it made all the difference.
I'm now set to find my next piece.
Getting to Creswick this weekend, and looking forward to meeting the forum members also attending.
Can't wait! :)

1442313367_image.jpg

Dig-n-It...maaate...ya made a "rookie" mistake...Mark gave ya a little coil, and ya found "little" gold (goodonya for ya first find by the way),
but after that, ya shoulda asked him for a lend of a BIG coil and find a BIG bit...lol ;) :D :p

Gypsy

Latest posts