⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gem in I said:
Nope currently snorting/swallowing flies over west they own this country.

I think about long gully and a few of them places often, we certainly do miss that country and friends made up there.

The west also has a lot of nice country and we are enjoying the level ground for a change :lol:

I'm thinking your old mate that came to camp looking for your mrs. phone dropped along the trail somewhere ?

No you probably wouldn't pick who I am ;) But didn't lose my phone and thankfully lost my missus years ago :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bigger lead shots today..
13/1 :lol: (a bits a bit)
1643448753_20220129_201910.jpg

1643455416_screenshot_20220129-205215_chrome.jpg
Diginit said:
Lanky said:

Bloke have to ask what do you use for clean up ? Pretty impressive how you got rid of all the ironstone coating of that very nice nuggie :Y:

Here is one way that works for me.
Get an ice cream container, and put enough pool acid in it to cover your nugget.
Next, get a blow torch of some sort, and heat your nugget until it glows a dull red, don't worry, it's not not going to melt or change in any way. Then carefully put it in the acid.
Remove it after a minute or two, and the iron stone coating will be cracked and will come off fairly easily. Repeat. Then just leave it in the acid for a while.
When you are happy with it, get another container, and fill with de mineralised water. This is a bit important, as chlorine in our water, will make the gold oxidise a little bit. Add some bi card soda, and drop your nugget in.
Leave it in there over night.
Then either put it in a tumbler, or or an ultra sonic cleaner for a few cycles, and you will have a nice shiny nugget.

Next post made a very good point!
Do not do this in a confined space.
Probably best to have a fan behind you when you put the hot nugget in the acid, don't breathe the fumes!
If you get acid on your skin, follow the advice on the packaging, flush with running water. Don't scrub the area. Pat dry after.
Baking soda or bi carb soda will neutralise the acid. Mix it well in cold water. Be generous with the bi carb.

davent said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...3455416_screenshot_20220129-205215_chrome.jpg
Diginit said:
Lanky said:

Bloke have to ask what do you use for clean up ? Pretty impressive how you got rid of all the ironstone coating of that very nice nuggie :Y:

Here is one way that works for me.
Get an ice cream container, and put enough pool acid in it to cover your nugget.
Next, get a blow torch of some sort, and heat your nugget until it glows a dull red, don't worry, it's not not going to melt or change in any way. Then carefully put it in the acid.
Remove it after a minute or two, and the iron stone coating will be cracked and will come off fairly easily. Repeat. Then just leave it in the acid for a while.
When you are happy with it, get another container, and fill with de mineralised water. This is a bit important, as chlorine in our water, will make the gold oxidise a little bit. Add some bi card soda, and drop your nugget in.
Leave it in there over night.
Then either put it in a tumbler, or or an ultra sonic cleaner for a few cycles, and you will have a nice shiny nugget.

Next post made a very good point!
Do not do this in a confined space.
Probably best to have a fan behind you when you put the hot nugget in the acid, don't breathe the fumes!
If you get acid on your skin, follow the advice on the packaging, flush with running water. Don't scrub the area. Pat dry after.
Baking soda or bi carb soda will neutralise the acid. Mix it well in cold water. Be generous with the bi carb.

I think the hardest part is finding the 11.02g nugget to put in the acid :lol:

G'Day Guy's,
walking up my shed this morning saw this glint coming from a small rock and sure enough my gofind 66 detector showed the precious metal and went bonkers with the sound. So decided to make a new dolly jar and I just cut old empty mapp gas bottles in 1/2 using a hacksaw and don't EVER try to it with a grinder as if they are any fumes left in the can we know what will happen 8.( I use a 1" diameter length of SS to do the pounding then pan the powder.

This was the result

1643507639_pan1.jpg

sure enough testing with my detector this is gold and not fools gold so me thinks a scan of the road to my shed is on the cards this arvo.

Cheers Bryan

Id have to agree that Bryans Go Find detector is not capable of hearing those flecks in his pan. It wouldnt make a sound when tested over some small gold nuggets of mine when I visited his farm recently. It was however very noisy when swung over certain areas of his ground, giving him the impression he was hearing targets. Im not sure, but I think the Go Find relies on auto ground tracking.
I think he may have put his pan down on some hot ground and swung over it...

Only did a quick swing today(tired from a big week at work), this 1 was about 3m from the last, a delayed hot rocky response from the surface but was flicking to the right slightly so I investigated. Took off an inch and the delay was shorter with a slight pop. It came out in the next inch..
1644038560_20220205_161223.jpg

Well this week is the last payment on the tyres I bought for the wifes car using afterpay so the next purchase is a minecraft finder 35 and BCF have them for $200 if your a member so it may be time to join up and give a false email to stop the spam they throw out everyday.

Now when I scanned the rock I did it at over a metre height and over ground I had scanned to see if metal was around and that rock did set the gofind off so after crushing and panning I did the same check now to see if metal was around and took the reading and sure it went off.

Due to my cheap phone what was shown in the pan wasn't lumps of gold but powdered gold as the rock was crushed to powder.

I'm sure this minecraft pointer will prove everything and with the gofind when it goes strong I turn it off for a few minutes then turn it on and scan the same area and a quartz rock on the way to my shed is the one ticking the detector so yes it maybe a stake put in long ago but this new toy on order soon will sort out any issues.

Latest posts