⭐ Alluvial Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A-team said:
My daughters were on a school camp in Eastern Victoria (Warburton) last week and as a part of the activities they were shown how to pan then sent down to the river. To the camp owners, one returned with two nuggets around a gram each in the pan...

Because of the advent of metal detectors some years ago, I don't think creeks have ever been hit hard like back in the day. Some places are still full of the good stuff - or been refilled by flood waters and errosion, unlike our detecting areas that are getting harder to find anything.
We'll still need to see photos. ..or it didn't happen :D

A-team said:
My daughters were on a school camp in Eastern Victoria (Warburton) last week and as a part of the activities they were shown how to pan then sent down to the river. To the camp owners, one returned with two nuggets around a gram each in the pan...

Because of the advent of metal detectors some years ago, I don't think creeks have ever been hit hard like back in the day. Some places are still full of the good stuff - or been refilled by flood waters and errosion, unlike our detecting areas that are getting harder to find anything.
I bet the number of google searches for rivers near Warburton just spiked

Too far for me from sunny Qld lol.... but about those photos (cause it's a great story if it's true :D )

Can't find the picture of the two "larger" nuggets as seen in the pan itself, but these were a few more good sizes found while panning the rivers edge. Hope this gives creditable evidence???

1615251417_wbtg.jpg

Not really Alluvial gold finds but extremely fine gold from an old Stamp Mill that was uncovered in the bush after the 2003 fires in N,East Victoria. I was cleaning up behind the shed the other day and found the tub of Scrapings (mostly Rust ) that we had collected when cleaning up the old Stamp Mill prior to putting it in the Park near (relatively) where it was found.
I decided to seperate out the Rust and pan off the fines & this is the result
1615259282_20210223_110140_2.jpg

As there was already a bit of amalgam in the scrapings I decided id collect the gold & amalgam with a bit of fresh Mercury added to the pan. You can see the fine gold particals sticking to the outside of the mercury ball prior to being absorbed.
1615259550_20210223_110910_2.jpg

Getting the gold into the mercury is relatively easy. Getting it back out again is the Hard/ Dangerous part and should not be attempted without prior Knowledge and proper equipment.

A-team said:
Can't find the picture of the two "larger" nuggets as seen in the pan itself, but these were a few more good sizes found while panning the rivers edge. Hope this gives creditable evidence???

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/18790/1615251417_wbtg.jpg

Main river in Warburton is the Yarra. Id be careful if anyone is thinking of busting out the highbankers around there. A few school kids probably wouldnt create a fuss but I would tread very carefully.

Latest posts