⭐ Alluvial Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow thats an awesome spot... can i come camping? :)

did you brush up the bedrock? i find most pickers are stuck in the crevices of bedrock that cant be seen till hit with a crowbar .... lovely looking gold...

Ryan1981 said:
Nice results there Mdv, that wouldnt be near the yass river would it :)
Looks like some ground i go quite often.

Nope ... Abercrombie / Trunkey Creek goldfield area. There's not much gold in the creek, compared to Tuena Creek, but it sure is nice looking gold all the same.

It does look nice, and fairly coarse too. Further investigation could pay off if you keep at it.

it might not have traveled very far, have you found any quartz poking out anywhere?

great pics and great gold MDV and I'm with golddigga....can I come camping? :D

Thanks for the story and detail mate, love hearing about others adventures when I can't get out myself

MJB said:
great pics and great gold MDV and I'm with golddigga....can I come camping? :D

Thanks for the story and detail mate, love hearing about others adventures when I can't get out myself
+1 on both accounts.
Thanks for sharing MDV.

Ryan1981 said:
It does look nice, and fairly coarse too. Further investigation could pay off if you keep at it.

it might not have traveled very far, have you found any quartz poking out anywhere?

Have been prospecting this creek for 2 years now - it snakes its way for 5km through the farm, so there's a lot of likely spots to explore. I have also run a detector over most of the property yielding a nice collection of bullets and rusty metal but alas no gold. There are many exposed quartz seams and quartz blow-outs, but they all appear barren.

There are some shallow diggings on the flats from the goldrush days, but there are only a couple of sample holes in the hills and gullies, and no mineshafts were sunk back in the day.

The creek is rather prone to flash flooding, so I am thinking the gold on the farm has washed down from the main goldfield of yesteryear several km upstream. I have captured several very waterworn pieces of glass (green and blue) - including one yesterday out of the same hole as the gold - that can only have come from the old goldrush village upstream.

For me, that is both good and bad: good that there is still gold shedding into the creek for me to pan; bad in that the source is not on the farm.

When for a lil dig today up widgee way....just me the cows and mary river 2 half buckets couldnt be fudged with a full one... :) got a lil reward ;)
1423552590_1423552614398.jpg

mdv said:
Ryan1981 said:

Nope ... Abercrombie / Trunkey Creek goldfield area. There's not much gold in the creek, compared to Tuena Creek, but it sure is nice looking gold all the same.

Dude, am I missing something? The gold you have shown in that pan is indicative of a primary source EXTREMELY close by.....so im expecting further gold finds. Looks like you are so close to the source its not funny....how much detecting have you done in that spot? That sort of gold tells me it has not travelled 50m. Anyone disagree???

Twapster said:
mdv said:
Ryan1981 said:

Dude, am I missing something? The gold you have shown in that pan is indicative of a primary source EXTREMELY close by.....so im expecting further gold finds. Looks like you are so close to the source its not funny....how much detecting have you done in that spot? That sort of gold tells me it has not travelled 50m. Anyone disagree???

It does look rather sharp and chunky Twapster....usually stuff that has travelled the distance MDV suggests it would be well water worn. I would start the loaming process :D

Twapster said:

Hi Twapster,

thanks for your obvious enthusiasm over my post.

The photo is perhaps a rather poor effort on my part - in my haste to get out of the hot sun, I just poured the gold out of the snuffer bottle into the pan and took a pic. What might appear to be quite coarse/chunky gold is mostly several/many bits of fine gold heaped upon each other. Let me assure you that the gold source is not anywhere nearby IMO - I have tested many, many spots over the past 2 years. I have taken small amounts of gold out of many places upstream and downstream, all the way to the property upstream boundary 1.5km away. Most of it is well water worn although some bits are a little chunkier/coarser - but not sufficiently so to suggest proximity to the source of shedding into the creek. To put some perspective on it, about 70% of the gold I have found in the creek is flour gold; 25% is fine gold that won't pass through the kitchen flour sieve; and 5% are pickers (of which most came out of one crevice on a rock bar in a section of creek 'rapids' that the oldtimers overlooked)

If the source of the gold is or was nearby, I am sure the oldtimers - in particular the Chines prospectors that were there for some time - would have done a lot more digging that what they did.

I wish I had a better handle on how far gold can travel, especially during a flash flood. In particular, I am curious about the chunkier small stuff that won't go through your normal kitchen sieve. How far could that sized gold travel assuming a flash flood every 5-10 years or so? Will it travel a matter of metres or a matter of kilometres?

As I mentioned in my previous post, I also captured a 10g piece of waterworn glass out of the same flood deposit that has travelled > 7 km in not more than 160 years.

Rest assured, I fully intend to continue my one-man crusade to find good gold in that creek. :)

Sounds good MDV, still a test pan up the slopes won't hurt. You got an unreal spot there and its all yours...what more could you want. Lucky boy!! :D

mdv said:
Twapster said:

Hi Twapster,

thanks for your obvious enthusiasm over my post.

The photo is perhaps a rather poor effort on my part - in my haste to get out of the hot sun, I just poured the gold out of the snuffer bottle into the pan and took a pic. What might appear to be quite coarse/chunky gold is mostly several/many bits of fine gold heaped upon each other. Let me assure you that the gold source is not anywhere nearby IMO - I have tested many, many spots over the past 2 years. I have taken small amounts of gold out of many places upstream and downstream, all the way to the property upstream boundary 1.5km away. Most of it is well water worn although some bits are a little chunkier/coarser - but not sufficiently so to suggest proximity to the source of shedding into the creek. To put some perspective on it, about 70% of the gold I have found in the creek is flour gold; 25% is fine gold that won't pass through the kitchen flour sieve; and 5% are pickers (of which most came out of one crevice on a rock bar in a section of creek 'rapids' that the oldtimers overlooked)

If the source of the gold is or was nearby, I am sure the oldtimers - in particular the Chines prospectors that were there for some time - would have done a lot more digging that what they did.

I wish I had a better handle on how far gold can travel, especially during a flash flood. In particular, I am curious about the chunkier small stuff that won't go through your normal kitchen sieve. How far could that sized gold travel assuming a flash flood every 5-10 years or so? Will it travel a matter of metres or a matter of kilometres?

As I mentioned in my previous post, I also captured a 10g piece of waterworn glass out of the same flood deposit that has travelled > 7 km in not more than 160 years.

Rest assured, I fully intend to continue my one-man crusade to find good gold in that creek. :)

Fair enuff, the images really look like coarse gold.

I am a firm believer that gold does not travel far which may be contra to other opinions. It certainly concentrates in spots while being pushed but digs in quite quickly unless in larger host material that can be pushed easier. If gold is coarse, look left or right up the hill.

Thanks n thats exactly wat i told him hes got a good spot n its all his he will go good there :) i was chuffed just to be of help to him ;-)

Mungoman said:
MDV, here's something I found on a geology page about debris flow - quite amazing to see - I reckon gold might travel a bit... http://youtu.be/ZmsxV70Tvow

thanks for that share that was intense! I always run out with my camera when the creeks are flooding around here, blokes are always asking me how do you know the fine gold there and not over here...... this is why... watch the water all year round talk lots of photos :)

Latest posts