⭐ Alluvial Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
neddyvan said:
Hi anyone who reads this, I live at Samford Valley in Brisbane and I know there was gold at Mt Glorious somewhere back in time... I notice specks of what appears to be gold in my creek, there is also black sand around it and just wondering, who can I contact to see if its placers gold or the real deal and if its worth it, sizes of flecks are pinhead size and there a fair bit of it washes down in sand each time it rains, thanks in anticipation,. otherwise it ends up in my neighbours dam!!!!
Buy a gold pan and test it mate. if its gold youll soon know. if you're specking littlies there'll be more there, if not now you how to check next time.

bend said:
Buy a gold pan and test it mate. if its gold youll soon know. if you're specking littlies there'll be more there, if not now you how to check next time.

You hear that the pan is the best gold detector all over the place. But it really is. Having only started this hobby around eleven months ago and still very much a newcomer, I can tell if a tiny spec is gold in a pan in two seconds flat.

I fear though, if you can see gold speckles in the water, you'd be more likely seeing fools gold. Especially if you stir up the water and see a heap more. I hope for your sake I am wrong. :D

I would pan it neddyvan sometimes small flecks if flat can float ,pan it out and put it on a solid surface(steel) and give it a solid tap with a hammer if it shatters it is fools gold.

If it does not shatter but just flattens out, it is more than likely the the real deal (quick test for a newbie to make sure)

If it flattens out when when you give it a hit give me a call ,you might need a hand to to pan it all :lol:

Jazz said:
You hear that the pan is the best gold detector all over the place. But it really is. Having only started this hobby around eleven months ago and still very much a newcomer, I can tell if a tiny spec is gold in a pan in two seconds flat.

I fear though, if you can see gold speckles in the water, you'd be more likely seeing fools gold. Especially if you stir up the water and see a heap more. I hope for your sake I am wrong. :D

Yep that's true, doesn't mean there's no gold around there though. I doubt hes on bedrock and black sand usually isn't a bad sign. You'll find a lot of places gold isn't, but not if you don't look in the first place.

bend said:
Yep that's true, doesn't mean there's no gold around there though. I doubt hes on bedrock and black sand usually isn't a bad sign. You'll find a lot of places gold isn't, but not if you don't look in the first place.

Yeah, for sure. Black sand and fools gold are great indicators.

I just wouldn't trust anything I see shining on the surface as being real gold.

But I'd certainly be giving that river a go, that's for sure.

Jazz said:
bend said:

Yeah, for sure. Black sand and fools gold are great indicators.

I just wouldn't trust anything I see shining on the surface as being real gold.

But I'd certainly be giving that river a go, that's for sure.
exactly

4 hours of panning and chatting

1582963920_70609a87-63c2-4662-866f-34802129af06.jpg

Latest posts