⭐ Alluvial Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chewy said:
Like most of us I have brought a few buckets of material back home to tide over the AU withdrawals when I can't over to the goldfields. About 6 FULL buckets actually. I'm hangin out for a decent gold fix at the moment. So I thought I'd shake a couple of pans down to see if there is any joy to be found. 2 buckets into it and I'm glad to report, I have found a bit. 1 bit. Still most of this was stuffed hurriedly into a bucket 5 mins before coming home from different spots, and mostly before I had any idea what I was doing. So bloody lucky really. But I am a firm believer in any gold is good gold, so I'll take it. Lol https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...4646/1573534011_20191111_184742-2016x1512.jpg

Nice one, Chewy! That's the exact same outlook I have. If I find at least one bit in an outing, at least I know I am looking in the right place.

I actually came home with two buckets from my new beach spot today.

I tried a little higher up out of the sand this time in more clay type area (more a recon mission, if anything) and came away with five little bits (which look much bigger with my macro lens :p)

1DfUYBc.png

Comparing this to my half bucket last trip, it looks like the beach sand actually yields more gold than higher up in the clay (four or five times more - unless I was lucky last time). And the sand is a heap quicker to pan as you don't have to break it up, like you do with the clay.

Next time I'll grab two more buckets of the sandy stuff and see if the yield is consistent.

Oh, and the brown snakes are definitely out there. I had a baby one slither away as I walked near it, not knowing it was there. Scary! :skull:

Mods, quick, 6 full buckets sounds bit excessive, well would be in NSW, not sure of SA guidelines.

Gimp said:
Mods, quick, 6 full buckets sounds bit excessive, well would be in NSW, not sure of SA guidelines.

Gimp no need for Mods :( use the report for Mods and /or pm function to chat with the OP :Y: 6 buckets might get you scun to in NSW but this is Prospecting Australia :Y: :beer: Chewy's as straight as a die :Y: and would be the first to get cranky if someone was Jack assing around with the regs :beer:

Chewy said:
Yep thats over the last 4 years just to clarify and not from S.A or N.S.W. Thanks for the input sherrif Gimp. Should I turn myself in, or can you come and arrest me personally for such a heinous crime? :lol:
Thanks for the um clarification. Makes hanging on to those smaller amounts that made up the 6 buckets over 4 years sound well within guidelines and worthwhile. We gotta keep posts in a positive light for all the punters who may be none the wiser, and follow, monkey see, monkey do. I see posts as stated as putting prospecting in a negative light. Now where's my star.

navieko said:
Thanks mbasko, I'll hop into Supercheap tomorrow and see if I can grab some Alibrite. I do have a bottle of hydrochloric acid (like 27%) in the shed though, is that no good? I'd like to keep the quartz though I just think it'd look a lot nicer if the quartz was white... on the image it's lighter than it is in person due to the camera flash. But I know I'm just being picky! :playful:

Very nice piece ....
And like mbasko indicated Alibrite will help, it's best for removing ironstone deposits.
I've used it on quartz and was disappointed as it turned the quartz milky, doesn't look as nice as clear bright quartz. Anyone else notice that or was it just that particular specimen?
May have dissolved it if I left it longer ????
To save destroying a good looking piece test a bit of quartz in the Alibrite and see what results you get.
Cheers T.

Teemore said:
Very nice piece ....
And like mbasko indicated Alibrite will help, it's best for removing ironstone deposits.
I've used it on quartz and was disappointed as it turned the quartz milky, doesn't look as nice as clear bright quartz. Anyone else notice that or was it just that particular specimen?
May have dissolved it if I left it longer ????
To save destroying a good looking piece test a bit of quartz in the Alibrite and see what results you get.
Cheers T.
Thanks Teemore, I took mbasko's advice and got me some Alibrite. Ended up leaving it in solution for just around 12 hours and then decided I was happy enough with the result... not a huge change just cleaned the quartz that little bit more:
1573601971_specimen_acid_clean3.jpg

Gimp said:
Chewy said:
Yep thats over the last 4 years just to clarify and not from S.A or N.S.W. Thanks for the input sherrif Gimp. Should I turn myself in, or can you come and arrest me personally for such a heinous crime? :lol:
Thanks for the um clarification. Makes hanging on to those smaller amounts that made up the 6 buckets over 4 years sound well within guidelines and worthwhile. We gotta keep posts in a positive light for all the punters who may be none the wiser, and follow, monkey see, monkey do. I see posts as stated as putting prospecting in a negative light. Now where's my star.
All good Gimp. Probably best to not assume too much though mate, as different rules in different states can cause confusion and misinformation to be spread. Here is a link to the current rules for Victoria. I don't see a mention of any limits on the amount of material that may be taken anywhere in them. https://earthresources.vic.gov.au/l...ational-fossicking/rules-and-responsibilities

Chewy said:
Gimp said:
Chewy said:
All good Gimp. Probably best to not assume too much though mate, as different rules in different states can cause confusion and misinformation to be spread. Here is a link to the current rules for Victoria. I don't see a mention of any limits on the amount of material that may be taken anywhere in them. https://earthresources.vic.gov.au/l...ational-fossicking/rules-and-responsibilities
Well there you go no set limits in Vic as long as you fill in your holes. I guess that's why you see on YouTube mullocks heaps disappearing by the trailer load in vicco, no recriminations as long as no hole is left, just flattening off this nasty mound officer. Carry on chaps crisis averted

What are the limits in NSW out of interest?

I know State Forest is 10Kg, with a fossicking permit of course, and National Parks are a no go zone. What about non-state forrest?

But what is the limit on beach sand?

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/...ne-park/park-management/activity-restrictions

This makes no mention if it. But you can take ten kilos of shell grit and twenty litres of seaweed.

I have been sticking to the ten kilo mark. But is there actually a limit on this? Obviously no one in their right mind would back up the trailer and load it up. That's just stupidity.

Jazz said:
What are the limits in NSW out of interest?

I know State Forest is 10Kg, with a fossicking permit of course, and National Parks are a no go zone. What about non-state forrest?

But what is the limit on beach sand?

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/...ne-park/park-management/activity-restrictions

This makes no mention if it. But you can take ten kilos of shell grit and twenty litres of seaweed.

I have been sticking to the ten kilo mark. But is there actually a limit on this? Obviously no one in their right mind would back up the trailer and load it up. That's just stupidity.
10kgs is state wide governed under Mining leg not forestry