❓Your Mineral Identification Questions answered here

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Folks,

While on the hunt for microscopic gold, I frequently observe a lot of coloured 'stones' amongst the black sand, and quartz. Grubstake spotted a few in some photos I posted of my micro-gold and suggested I post more pics here to see if anyone could do some ID's for me. All samples are sub 1mm and from a quartz sand rich creek near Mogo (SE NSW). If they were larger I'd run some hardness & streak tests & attempt some ID myself but these are waaayyyyy too tiny (for me anyway). There are reds and oranges, a blue-grey cube, pink, & a bright green (peridot?) I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone had some suggestions as to what the main ones are.

View attachment 2698View attachment 2699View attachment 2700View attachment 2701View attachment 2702View attachment 2703
Probably some of what we call "accessory" minerals from granite for the Mogo area - they tend to be heavy. reds are possibly garnet , there may be zircon- peridot can occur if there is some basalt close nearby. It is a complex area there, with not only common sedimentary rocks but basalts of two very different ages and granite.

Probably some of what we call "accessory" minerals from granite for the Mogo area - they tend to be heavy. reds are possibly garnet , there may be zircon- peridot can occur if there is some basalt close nearby. It is a complex area there, with not only common sedimentary rocks but basalts of two very different ages and granite.
Hi Goldierocks. That's great info, and enough for me to make sure I keep my eyes open for something a little larger when panning (now getting flashbacks to what I've been discarding with all the quartz whilst on the hunt for gold. :eek:) Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Truly appreciated. :)

I haven't worked that area, certainly agree with goldierocks suggestions, you night also find the occasional sapphire (centre of 3rd pic?), maybe topaz? Always fun exploring gravel beds.
Many thanks Dihusky. Yup that little grey/blue cubic dude in the middle of the 3rd picture intrigued me too. I'll definitely be paying more attention to my pan's contents in future! Now I just need to explain to my wife why I need to go and buy some gem sieves in addition to all the gold prospecting kit. 😂

Hi Folks,

While on the hunt for microscopic gold, I frequently observe a lot of coloured 'stones' amongst the black sand, and quartz. Grubstake spotted a few in some photos I posted of my micro-gold and suggested I post more pics here to see if anyone could do some ID's for me. All samples are sub 1mm and from a quartz sand rich creek near Mogo (SE NSW). If they were larger I'd run some hardness & streak tests & attempt some ID myself but these are waaayyyyy too tiny (for me anyway). There are reds and oranges, a blue-grey cube, pink, & a bright green (peridot?) I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone had some suggestions as to what the main ones are.

View attachment 2698View attachment 2699View attachment 2700View attachment 2701View attachment 2702View attachment 2703
How good are your eyes Colb?
Saw a programme where a geologist worked through a pile of small crystals from crushed rock separated out the ones she was interested in to test. Necessarily detailed and laborious work to get enough material to test.
She did this using a microscope and a one hair brush!
I don’t know whether the NSW museum has a mineral identification service but worth asking them (Let us know if you do) and if so could they help.
May require your investing some time into separating the grains into reasonable sized samples of the same coloured grains in the manner the geo did.

How good are your eyes Colb?
Saw a programme where a geologist worked through a pile of small crystals from crushed rock separated out the ones she was interested in to test. Necessarily detailed and laborious work to get enough material to test.
She did this using a microscope and a one hair brush!
I don’t know whether the NSW museum has a mineral identification service but worth asking them (Let us know if you do) and if so could they help.
May require your investing some time into separating the grains into reasonable sized samples of the same coloured grains in the manner the geo did.
I like the sound of that. I do enjoy the investigative side of things. I'll give the one hair brush idea a go. To date I've been separating micro-gold by having two droplets of water on a piece of glass (microscope slide). Using a 40x loupe (with built in LED) and a needle, I've been moving dots of gold from one meniscus to another. Tricky and time consuming (not proposing this method for anything other than the tiny amounts I find) but does allow me to leave 99% of the black sand behind. It's certainly not great for the eyes though! 😵‍💫

I quickly realised that keeping the tiny 'bits' in water droplets stops them 'pinging' off the hard needle tip like micro-bullets. Somewhere on my floor there're a few 0.0000000000000001g specimens [stretching the definition of specimen here of course] that will never be seen again. However a soft one hair brush...that could do the trick and would be easier than wrestling with water surface tension.

Given the sizes of grains I'm finding at the moment, it might take a while to get a decent sized sample. :eek: I'll make some enquiries to the NSW Museum and will let you know if they're able to assist.

I used to do it with very narrow pointed nose tweezers

1657537815726.png

I also found that I could pan to a better quality concentrate, getting rid of much of the quartz (then using a magnet if some minerals were magnetic). It reduces the hand picking (when many of the same grains are present, you can often push many aside as one group to separate them).

I used to do it with very narrow pointed nose tweezers

View attachment 2768

I also found that I could pan to a better quality concentrate, getting rid of much of the quartz (then using a magnet if some minerals were magnetic). It reduces the hand picking (when many of the same grains are present, you can often push many aside as one group to separate them).
I reckon my tick tweezers fit the bill perfectly. Needle points on them and it'll make for a pleasant change from their usual 'work'. :)

I reckon my tick tweezers fit the bill perfectly. Needle points on them and it'll make for a pleasant change from their usual 'work'. :)

Did some enquiries here in Vic about the mineral identification service offered by our Museum. They advised that your state along with others would have a similar free service. Have made a new thread about Free Mineral Identification for reference about the process they would like us to follow.
MuseumsVic said that rather than send in the sample/s, firstly one should send in an email with good pictures of mineral/s and some details about where and the context of its find.
Your pics may be good enough for NSW museum staff to give you a good ID Without the tedious process of separating the grains and physically dropping them off at the NSW museum.

Did some enquiries here in Vic about the mineral identification service offered by our Museum. They advised that your state along with others would have a similar free service. Have made a new thread about Free Mineral Identification for reference about the process they would like us to follow.
MuseumsVic said that rather than send in the sample/s, firstly one should send in an email with good pictures of mineral/s and some details about where and the context of its find.
Your pics may be good enough for NSW museum staff to give you a good ID Without the tedious process of separating the grains and physically dropping them off at the NSW museum.
That's excellent news! Thanks for looking into it. :) I'll make some enquiries and will post my findings on the new thread you kindly created.

I wouldn't even think about telling them where you come across finds. Access is being challenged more and more these days, keep your locations to yourself.

I wouldn't even think about telling them where you come across finds. Access is being challenged more and more these days, keep your locations to yourself.
I am a mineralogist and would simply tell someone to go away if they did that - it is too unreasonable. I can't imagine why you would think a person would have something so unique that thousands would be rushing to get some. They usually only want info like the nearest town or mountain range. They are usually just doing it as a favour, in the hope that something moderately interesting will turn up one day. And they can keep something quiet for some time if necessary I imagine - they have kept some of my stuff to themselves for a decade now. They are into it for the mineralogical interest, not the money (and probably already earn six figure salaries).

Even as an amateur hobby as most of us pursue prospecting, we are entitled to have an academic interest in adding to the knowledge base of science and an amount of satisfaction should we be lucky enough to discover something out of the usual.
The catch 22 regarding keeping a secret is how do you know that you have found something valuable enough to warrant keeping a secret unless you have it identified.
If you already know it is valuable why would you need it identified, just keep the secret.
Privacy laws are also applicable in dealings with Museum staff.

Hi Goldierocks. That's great info, and enough for me to make sure I keep my eyes open for something a little larger when panning (now getting flashbacks to what I've been discarding with all the quartz whilst on the hunt for gold. :eek:) Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Truly appreciated. :)
I continue to discard it - garnets, sapphires, zircons, topaz that size all occur in almost any pan in the Victorian mountains.

Size does matter

Even as an amateur hobby as most of us pursue prospecting, we are entitled to have an academic interest in adding to the knowledge base of science and an amount of satisfaction should we be lucky enough to discover something out of the usual.
The catch 22 regarding keeping a secret is how do you know that you have found something valuable enough to warrant keeping a secret unless you have it identified.
If you already know it is valuable why would you need it identified, just keep the secret.
Privacy laws are also applicable in dealings with Museum staff.
Well said Hawker 👌I was stating my opinion only, part of forum machinations so to speak 😂 All good 👍

I do value your comments 🍻

I am a mineralogist and would simply tell someone to go away if they did that - it is too unreasonable. I can't imagine why you would think a person would have something so unique that thousands would be rushing to get some. They usually only want info like the nearest town or mountain range. They are usually just doing it as a favour, in the hope that something moderately interesting will turn up one day. And they can keep something quiet for some time if necessary I imagine - they have kept some of my stuff to themselves for a decade now. They are into it for the mineralogical interest, not the money (and probably already earn six figure salaries).
No offence GR just my opinion, I wouldn't think twice about seeking professional qualification should the need arise. For me it's not about money more so the adventure, any find is a plus. However the fact is we as hobbyists/professionals (in a private capacity) have for decades seen/witnessed accessable ground locked up.

I reckon you've got the nouse and time to post it up to reveal the facts. Call me cynical but I'll back it in just like everyone with a interest, at some point a staff member will use information for their benefit beit personal or political 🤔 just like every green eyed monster, individual or political 🍻

RM I can see your point about having areas locked up.
I just wonder if by providing finds information that would aggravate that restriction or whether it would help keep areas open.
I think we should try to keep a good relationship going with the geoscience authorities in each of our states. It should be mutually beneficial - help for us and finds information going back to the geoscience people.
I think if I was employed by a geoscience authority, I’d know whose side I would be on if the green eyed monsters wanted to lock up an area.

Hi everyone
I’m new to this game, just took the young bloke to the beach and we found a few rocks that he liked, would you be able to identify what they are
The area is know to have jasper and agate but I’m not sure if these are anything impressive , he liked them so his not to fussed
Cheers Mick1FAD380B-533B-40D0-8628-99885A41D106.jpeg4A98DC66-0424-4AAF-A5D4-04A63690F317.jpeg532ACC1B-84B9-46C9-96DA-C3EE476BAF6B.jpegD70C8215-CE97-4209-BF88-841ECC72258F.jpeg34E57DB2-753D-48B0-B389-DB828A9FA59D.jpeg9F546263-850B-4200-98F5-387EE3E8177F.jpeg70C19327-542A-4E9A-B47A-E658A7657DC9.jpeg

Welcome to PA Mick.
Your young bloke has a good eye for pretty rocks.
Doesn't matter what they are in the end, if he finds them worth keeping in his collection.
Early interest in things like this can lead to careers in adulthood if encouraged.
You might have a future geologist on your hands there. :)
Perhaps consider getting a small rock tumbler for him to add to his interest?

You can also look on the 'earth resources' website to see where you can fossick for interesting gems around Vic too.

All the best in your future hunting. :)

Cheers,
Megsy

Hi, I have a very interesting rock specimen that I need some help identifying.
I think it could be a type of mineral, maybe from space. It has been magnified and is full of needle like formations. It’s heavy for its size weighing 825 grams but fits into the palm of ur hand. Has been tested for different carats of gold including platinum and all results were positive. So I can only assume the tests are inconclusive. It is also somewhat magnetic. I will attach pics and a video. Any information regarding this piece would be appreciated immensely. Thanku.

Attachments

• IMG_2962.MOV
    14.8 MB
  • C0208C6D-9094-435C-844B-09ABCC4DCF07.jpeg
    C0208C6D-9094-435C-844B-09ABCC4DCF07.jpeg
    390.7 KB · Views: 0
  • BD94AA83-3D32-4165-9AA0-B839447664DA.jpeg
    BD94AA83-3D32-4165-9AA0-B839447664DA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • ADC1DBE3-7BF1-4B89-9086-AFC253298CCE.jpeg
    ADC1DBE3-7BF1-4B89-9086-AFC253298CCE.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0