Garrett to rival Minelab's GPX5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who know, I know this one found heaps in the day, it still comes with us and gets a run on every trip.
1376301328_20130812_124814.jpg

Garrett have just released a video of their upcoming detector. Whether this is one of several or the only new detector we'll be seeing from them this year, I don't know.

The video doesn't reveal too much other than it's completely submersible, uses pulse induction technology and punches deeper than any previous Garrett model.

Expected release is sometime in Spring 2013 (AUS).

Anyway here it is guys.

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnJZe29h1Qw[/video]

Nugget.

That is the video on their new detector, it will be released here and the states at the same time. at the end of next month i was told.

kiwited said:
Firmware - I am surprised that minelab detectors cannot be updated by way of firmware online. The oldest GPX 5000 out their could be bang upto date if that was possible.

also, firmware for specific geographical locations could be made available?

Minelab must have their reasons.

Ted

the Minelab CTX3030 is all updateable and that is where minelab have been concentrating their time, maybe the new minelab detector will be the same

With their recent 25% price hikes it should rival Minelab in price too :lol:

Whether it rivals Minelab in Aussie conditions we will wait & see. Have heard a rumour they did tests here but the results were less than impressive & that is what held up the release date. Like I said a rumour only but maybe they did have to make improvements first?

Be interesting to see pricing & performance when it hits Australia. Hey Nugget you got one of these lined up for the product testing? :p

I heard the same thing mbasko. They have been testing it over here and can't get it work right in the mineralized ground.

DD

Nugget said:
Garrett have just released a video of their upcoming detector. Whether this is one of several or the only new detector we'll be seeing from them this year, I don't know.

The video doesn't reveal too much other than it's completely submersible, uses pulse induction technology and punches deeper than any previous Garrett model.

Expected release is sometime in Spring 2013 (AUS).

Anyway here it is guys.

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnJZe29h1Qw[/video]

Nugget.

They are teasing us 8.(

They have it working in the mineralised ground, i dont know where this here say and innuendo always comes from. My AT Pro works in mineralised ground, the AT Gold works in it and the Infinium is a PI that works well out there, this is a new PI machine, a PI will always poop on a VLF in hot ground, cant wait to get a look at it, maybe even add one to my family.

I hope its a ripper and not just a AT Pro/Gold/Infinium clone.

We will see it soon enough...

mbasko said:
Like I said a rumour only but maybe they did have to make improvements first
Until I see any official, conclusive testing & reports I would say that the quote "they have it working in mineralised ground" is also nothing more than rumour/innuendo/hearsay!

I would love to see a machine rival Minelab PI's but reality tells me that with the amount of patents Minelab have on the PI technology it needs to be a great step forward to not only match it but better it. I hope they do it - can only be better for us as consumers both in price & tech advancement but I really don't see them pulling it off. Even if they do I wouldn't mind betting Minelab have something waiting in the wings to trump it.
At the end of the day any competition can only benefit us as end users.
p.s. I am not pro Minelab but do conceive that they do have the best gold detecting PI technology available but I think there are several other machines that can rival their VLF's.

The good thing about anything that is better that hits the market, it will provide much needed competition in a scene that is dominated by ML. And I get that they may have something in the wings to trump anything that comes out to beat the 5000, but if its not trumped and ML don't loose their position, WE don't see better equipment with prices that may or may not help new detectorists get a better detector.
Competition is a wonderful thing......the more suppliers doing better, I say. Bring it on.

I think we hear of 'going to beat ML every couple of years'. - the Whites TDI being an example. I am no fan of monopolies either but for what I want to do - ML it is.

I have got a GP3500, it goes great but am thinking selling it so I could purchase a Garret ATX.... thinking that the ATX would be an upgrade and better detector than GP3500. Whats your thoughts?

Rodstar said:
I have got a GP3500, it goes great but am thinking selling it so I could purchase a Garret ATX.... thinking that the ATX would be an upgrade and better detector than GP3500. Whats your thoughts?

Haven't used a ATX but I would definatley keep the 3500 at least until some people have tried them out over here.

DD

3500 is a cracker of a machine. I agree with DD - wait and see, either way you can't lose. I know of a lot of people who run 3500s and they are very happy with them. A tried and tested machine that works well on the highly mineralised soils and dead-easy to run. Flick a few switches and away she goes. A very good learning machine. The 14" DD seems to be the weapon of choice on these machines for general patch hunting. Apart from good nugget finds,I have been surprised on the small nuggets (wheat size) they do find with the 14". I won't get into the debate going on that the 3500,4000,4500,5000 etc are 'only good on gold' - because that's what I generally see them chasing on the GOLD fields.

Thanks for the info guys, i will hang onto it for a bit and read the reviews as they come out on the ATX. what appealed to me about the ATX is that it can be used for all locations. living in North QLD the heat and torrentiasl rain in summer is unbearable so i planned to travel over the mountains and continue prospecting in the rivers where its cooler. the ATX seemed like a great machine to do everything i need and water proof too. But i will wait.....

Latest posts