Todays hunt results.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Top stuff. Hey I saw this posted pn fb. It came from Wedderburn, so looks like Mrs M missed 1.
1454063986_fb_img_1454035340044.jpg

Funny how I emptied the shilling out of my top pocket so the motorbike would have a safe spot till I got home (ha) :eek: :D

Gt,..I used a full as, teaspoonfull of Citric Acid into 1/2 a kitchen Ramekin of water,... waited for 1 & 1/2 minutes, and gently used an old soft childrens toothbrush to very gently take the dirt and grime away for about 30 seconds,... then rinsed under flowing tapwater, and finally used a couple of pumps of Palmolive antibacterial handwash (the brown looking double pack from big W) to gently rub it all over (straight stuff) just to help balance out the PH level, before rinsing extremely well and patting dry with some toweling material. (Thanks still go out to DJ for the Citric Acid tip,). :D
I used no CLR and no Bicarb at all on the 1948 Shilling,.. and it kept its patina intact. Some silver coins may not respond to this or any method of treatment in the desired fashion (disclaimer). ;) :D

Yet another nice shilling surfaces, might be a little hunt, but with some good results. :)

Must get some of that citric acid, works very well considering electrolysis sucks on the 50% silvers.

I still use some bi-carb after the Citric bath to neutralise the acid, works great, I cleaned about 30 coins last week with this method and only 2 were not cleaned up by it, I think they had been in a fire.

Shilling is in great condition Silver.

I have a sorted bag here somewhere from a few years ago, of just the silvers that looked like they would clean easy from that particular year (it's untouched as of yet), I might get them out and do a photo expose' on them (before and after shots) using CitricAcid on some, and CLR on others,... Just to show the differences. ;)

silver said:
I have a sorted bag here somewhere from a few years ago, of just the silvers that looked like they would clean easy from that particular year (it's untouched as of yet), I might get them out and do a photo expose' on them (before and after shots) using CitricAcid on some, and CLR on others,... Just to show the differences. ;)

That would be great look forward too seeing the results ;)

Ha! Well done.
On a hunt the other day I also scored a 1947 florin (my first florin) and a 1953 penny.

What are the odds??!

P.S. I realise there are a shed load of 47 florins out there...

Latest posts