Ctx Madness

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got down to a local beach yesterday for a couple of hours,it was cold, windy and there was hardly anyone about except for mainly surfers. The Ctx performed very nicely pinging some quite deep targets. I was really extra keen for a gold ring so was digging pretty much every target except the obviously very ferrous ones. All I got was $7 (usual cash tally for a beach) and a small Silver stud which was down about 5 inches, needless to say I'm pretty impressed with the sensitivity of the CTX, if there was a small gold ring I don't think I would have missed it. There was a bunch of other junk that came out too so I did find where the heavies were hiding, one end had nothing heavy, the other end had plenty of heavies, I'll revisit this beach when it gets busier in Summer.

1439679632_20150816_085349.jpg

Dunno about that Silver, lol. Though I did manage 2 bucket list items today........ Where to begin, you wouldn't read about this........

Started detecting today on a soccer field, was a lot of junk and not much treasure coming out of the ground, couldn't get to the prime spot as it was full of soccer players and viewers, anyway, got about 7 bucks from that spot and decided to move on to another spot which was only marginally better. I was trying a few different settings on the CTX by this stage, ones I haven't tried before to see how they perform, just buggerising around really. Then I got the first BL item which was a Rising Sun badge, woohoo I thought before getting back to swinging with a little more enthusiasm, last target was a mangles $1 coin, time to call it quits I thought.

1439708365_20150816_163620.jpg

1439708365_20150816_163633.jpg

1439708365_20150816_164137.jpg

Anyways I got in the car and headed home to count the takings and clean the badge up a little when I saw a funny looking rim on the $1 reverse side, near crapped myself as it's a dollar mule coin but....... it's %$#@ing damaged............. Dunno if it's still worth anything but a massive high and a massive low like that can only be soothed with a longneck or 2......... Just my luck, oh well better luck on the next mule I reckon. Got a Singapore Dollar as a consolation prize........ :D

Behold the Dollar mule. :D

1439708365_20150816_164148.jpg

1439708365_20150816_164201.jpg

Yeah I reckon you're right Sandta...... :D

There is one for sale on ebay for $9000, dunno if they'll get 9 grand for it though, a tad ambitious.

Sandta said:
Send them a message ..
Offer yours for a bargain ;) $5000
Maybe they will agree on a bit less .... Ka ching!

I reckon the way it is I'd take a lot less than that and still be happy. Man I wish it was in good condition, still a great find but soooooo disapointing at the same time.

There were not many minted at all, between 2000 and 6000 coins they reckon, no one is sure though.

I remember another one though in my parents grog shop, was working in there oner day and noticed an odd $1 coin that someone gave me and just tossed it in the cash register without another look, I knew nothing of them then but still remember it.

Heatho said:
Sandta said:
Send them a message ..

I reckon the way it is I'd take a lot less than that and still be happy. Man I wish it was in good condition, still a great find but soooooo disapointing at the same time.

There were not many minted at all, between 2000 and 6000 coins they reckon, no one is sure though.

I remember another one though in my parents grog shop, was working in there oner day and noticed an odd $1 coin that someone gave me and just tossed it in the cash register without another look, I knew nothing of them then but still remember it.

I think with a few bouts of shock therapy you could have that removed from your memory :lol:
My heart just sunk for you mate

Sandta said:
Heatho said:
Sandta said:
Send them a message ..

I think with a few bouts of shock therapy you could have that removed from your memory :lol:
My heart just sunk for you mate

Ahhh it's all good 3 more beers and a few shots of Bailey's and I won't care at all, shock therapy could be good too,lol.

Talking about a varied hunt, those mules certainly sell for a decent chunk of money, anything from $500-$700 for an ungraded coin, possibly more! So it is a pity that it is damaged, but still a good one for the collection. Well done on the rising sun. :)

That mule would still be worth money Heatho,...A dollar at least(ha),... who knows what you would get for it at the right place,... worth much more to you though as a Bucket List find,... I mean who finds them in the ground(ever),...just you :eek: :D

Cheers fella's Just the way life rolls I guess.

Anyway it is a good find and I do feel good about it, I may even put it up on ebay one day at no reserve and see what it fetches. If it get's more than $1 dollar then I've made a profit on it. If I don't put it on the bay then it's always a great detecting war story. :D

Mmmmm think I've had just the right amount of aclohol to have a laugh about it now. :D

Latest posts