Public Access to Crown Land Maps

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjy120

Stuart
Reaction score
I went into the NSW Govt Dept of Lands office in Goulburn today to ask for a copy of a map showing exactly what is vacant crown land and what's not around Tuena.
Which I thought would be easier face to face rather than over the phone or on email, but that was not the case.
On finding the office there was a shutter pulled down closed and a sign saying the dept no longer does over the counter transactions without an appointment, to get an appointment email such and such or call this 1300 No.

So I thought while I'm here I'd ask anyway.

Finally a guy came out and listened to what I had to say, explaining that I was looking for a map showing what is vacant crown land and what's not so I don't go walking through
someone's property un intentionally. He said yes they have maps that show that but I need to apply in writing to see if they will release a copy to me.
I explained it is so I do the right thing, but he said he doesn't think that is information that should just be available to everyone.

I have emailed them and will let you know the outcome.

Does anyone know other ways to access maps showing exactly what is and isn't crown land???

For NSW, the easyist way i have found online is http://nswtitles.minerals.nsw.gov.au/nswtitles/

1.To find crown land, zoom in to the spot you want to check.
2.In the legend, click the small + sign next to administrative boundaries and also put a tick in the box next to it.
3.Click the box next to crown land.
To get aerial photo map scroll right down the bottom of the legend and tick the box.

This site has a lot of other features once you get used to it.

They like to charge $30 for each title search and the like, I'm sure they would have similar fees for crown land searches.

Shivans link is the easiest way for sure, the map seems to be quite accurate, it's probably the same map the council would use...... and charge you for it.

Hi All,

Just letting you know I have been sent the maps I requested from The NSW Lands Dept.

With the Freedom Of Information Act we are entitled to get info like this and I just had to mention the New South Wales Information and Privacy Commission.

Then it all changed and I had them emailed to me this morning.

Will post them shortly on the site.

Thanks for the info guys :)
Just have to get a new computer monitor to look at them because the old one died and I can't open it with an IPhone.

Government departments making life hard for someone trying to do the right thing? Nooooooo!!! HaHa
Good call on the Info and Privacy Comm there sjy, sometimes they need a wakeup call to remind them that we live in a free country. I will look for your post and thanks for doing the hard yards.

This has given me good tips on how get info for when I travel back across the border and image its similar for all states.
Thanks all.

sjy120 said:

Hi sjy120
Those files show an error and I can't open them. Have they been removed?

This is what I get

Not Found

The requested URL /forum/doc/member-docs/400/1380193804_tuena_diagram_1.pdf was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Thanks Creekbed

G'day All,

Just to let you blokes know I had a look at the link just after they were posted and they where working fine, but now getting the same result as Creekbed.

Regards Dal

Likely that the link you were given was a limited time or single download link - given the department's reticence in allowing you access to the map in the first place, I doubt they would then leave it available to be disseminated extensively.

Hey guys,

I've just sorted out the issue with the missing PDF doc. It appears I accidentally moved the directory on the server during an upgrade. It should be all good now.

Nugget.

Just checked it and it opened and downloaded perfectly. Thanks for posting this, much appreciated :)

I would not take it for granted that you can camp/prospect on all crown land. Most of the crown land marked on the Tuena map is under pastoral lease by Peter Drover. He is nice enough to continue letting people on there but only in the section directly across the creek from the camp site. Everywhere else is not covered by his insurance so your not allowed there unless given permission by him.

DD

Those maps were not saying that everyone had access to all that land. I was just trying to get info from Crown Lands to show what was and wasn't crown land for my own interest.
Diggerdude is correct, if someone has a lease on the land it doesn't mean you have access just because it is crown land.

That's not true...they only have a licence to run their stock on Crown Land and pay a $500 fee per annum for the pleasure, nothing more nothing less!! Public can still access tracks thru these reserves to gain creek river access. They don't bloody own the land.

Latest posts