Prospectors Clothing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its good that everyone has concerns about the camo for prospecting. I was initially looking for better footwear for prospecting (light cool comfortable), but I have a liking for camo clothing for hunting.
In WA there is no legal hunting outside private property, with the exception of station lease owners feral culling. On occasions when im hunting (on private property) I like to think I blend in, & I like the look of camo.
If I were to wear a camo pants or shirt when prospecting, I would also wear something a bit bright for that exact safety reason ... rescue!
rest assured my friends, im no fool. If I got lost it would be because I want to be lost.
ps, I have a large thermal blanket (stays in my 4wd) with a giant 'HELP' emblazoned on the back.
Safety 1st :Y: ;)

I think an important safety point that has been missed on this sidetrack, is that if you are wandering more than say 500m, or whatever you think best, from your vehicle, you should have your PLB/EPIRB in your kit. And hopefully never need it :8

one of the first questions I ask of the property owner or manager is "what are the rules", no camo clothing, they hate it for some reason, maybe they think your a terrorist, or cant see you, whatever, then you gotta were high vis stuff like a shirt or a hat so you don't get shot , after much though I now tend to agree with them, have the game council clobber, and my auscam gear from way back is in my cupboard, the alice pack , the side packs etc but now tend to go for khaki or the light brown cotton shirts with the good old blue jeans, if your out prospecting and fell over, twisted your ankle hit your head , how would they find you , so carry a whistle, a small mirror and a fire starter just in case..
when hunting, there ask you shoot and dog , cat or pig that you see and report of any stock that may be injured , just my thoughts on the subject.

We cant stop them wearing cammo, but we can politely request they dont. If they refuse that request, well that tells us a bit about them and probably just changed our level of help and how forthcoming we could have been with local knowledge etc.

Every year we have people go missing and normally we are the first people the fuzz ring to go have a look. My perentie is cammo and in some places Ive been not 20 metres from it and couldnt see it.

We shoot stuff, lots and lots of stuff.
More than a few times now Ive spotted movement in the bushes and looking through the scope found its a damn prospector in cammo crouching down so as not to be spotted, every time he was where he shouldnt be.
Ive read on forums that this is BS that pastoralists use as an excuse and it doesnt happen, well Ive got video evidence that it does happen.

Not a month back I lined my rifle up on a beast and was just about to squeeze off when I thought I spotted something flash directly behind him through the trees. Opened the bolt and secured the rifle then I drove around the other side and yep a bloke camped up on someone elses SPL.
No permission from the lease holder, hadnt notified us he was here, plus had two dogs with him.
This bloke even offered to help me take care of the ferals, which I think could be interpreted as he also has a firearm with him.

I kindly pointed out to this forum member than he was a thief and not welcome and should pack up and bugger off, which he did. Not that I think it made any difference or would change his future behaviour, he just thought I was a prick.

A lot of hunting accidents in the States. Bloke shot his mate with a 270 thinking he was a dear a while back. They have adopted the bright orange gear in most places now for some time. Most animals detect movement, noise and smell rather than colour I find. Best prospecting clothing equipment I have found is a big umbrella also good for squatting down and crevicing in a hot dry creek bed too. Only problem with a big umbrella is if it's too windy, or worse a big whirly comes along and you end up like Mary poppins :playful:

1538879620_images_28.jpg

BigWave said:
He was a forum member?
If so, he should be an ex-forum member :mad:

Agreed, you would think anyone that takes the time to find sites like this one would be well aware of the legalities of prospecting.

Magilla said:
BigWave said:
He was a forum member?
If so, he should be an ex-forum member :mad:

Agreed, you would think anyone that takes the time to find sites like this one would be well aware of the legalities of prospecting.

One would like to think so but far from the norm from what I have witnessed :/

Latest posts