The 4WD tick off list - what items make the list?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twapster

Peter
Reaction score
Ok guys I thought I would start a thread to help others who drive deeper into areas that no 2 wheeler is really supposed to go. While my VC Commodore made an epic drive thru Turon Gates to Sofala, and at one point stopped in the middle of the Turon......and made it.....what toys do you guys have that are "must have items " ....for vehicles that are taken into decent bush or unpopulated areas or beaches and river beds. What items make you feel like you are in good hands.

I'm glad I have a dual battery system and a spare tyre.......did I bring that tyre wrench?? Ok what items make the list?

2 Spre Wheels, Tyre repair kit....
MaxTracks...
Spare Belts and Hoses...
Winch....Recovery Kit....Hilift Jack Shovel....
First Aid Kit.....
Fire Extuingisher....
Epird. Sat Phone...
This stuff is in my wagon all the time...
Depending where we are going and for how long...
Fridge, Tucker etc

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

For me good communications and water are high priority. Depends where you are going but for comms Hf radio, satellite phone or tracker/beacon. I think you can't go past the Delorme range where you can send and receive text but also auto track your position with an sos beacon.
Jon

There is no one answer. The first 2 questions are; What do you need and, What do you want. However, before asking them you want to give considerable thought to 2 more important questions; Where do I want to go? and what do I want to do?

Offroad - If you want to go on rugged or steep or sandy or muddy tracks or in fact no tracks, then you need a 4x4. If you want to carry a large load or tow a caravan, then you need a big 4x4. If you are only tenting, not towing and medium in load then a medium size is ok.

There are "too many" SUV type vehicles out there that imply they are true 4WDs, they are not. To explain I'll bullet point the common ones.
  • 2WD (front or rear) - The normal town car ie Falcon Commodore etc.[/*]
  • AWD - All Wheel Drive, the majority of SUV vehicles. They drive all 4 wheels all of the time, have no low range transfer case, no dif lock and although better than 2WD limited clearance height. ie Ford Territory, Holden Captiva etc.[/*]
  • FT4WD - Full Time Four Wheel Drive, These are getting closer to a [/*]
  • PT4WD - Part time Four Wheel Drive ie Toyota FJ Cruiser. Most, and in fact my example are; selectable on the fly from rear wheel drive (2WD) to 4WD, stop and select low range 4WD and with a rear dif lock as standard.[/*]

This is very basic, but other differences are centre viscous diff or not, type of dif, manual or auto gearbox etc etc.

The underlying fact is that pretty well every commercial 4x4 is sold to put it on the black top first. Many still require accessories and or mods to make them a really competent 4by.

Some have already been mentioned, but in my opinion the most important 3 for serious off road use are 1. A spring/shocker upgrade to include a 50mm lift. 2. As most bush bashing is as it eludes to, a decent bull bar for animal strikes (consider also that it is winch ready should you go to fit one later). and, 3. A decent 5W UHF CB radio to communicate with others and some safety. Tyres are dependent upon where you go, how often and terrain type. A good compressor to pump tyres is also strongly recommended because on rocky ground you will need to lower tyre pressure and on sand even further.

The other accessories, like a fridge, which will require an auxiliary battery, roof rack, awning etc etc are more creature comfort than capability.

Consider also comparing approach, departure and ramp over angles. Longer wheel bases such as some of the utes are less capable than comparable wagons. Smaller 4x4 usually have better angles.

Having said all of that, ask yourself what kind of terrain do I want to get into (and out of, lol)? What do I need or want to carry with me, ie camping gear, detector gear, passengers etc? That will at least point you in the direction of vehicle size, reducing the choices. Decide on manual or auto, could also reduce choice. decide on wagon or ute (keep in mind a ute is open and will need further expense to secure the tray). Once you are down to a handful of choices, do some research among users, Forums are a good source of info and most makes n models of 4bys have one or more.

Pete, you will get a lot of different answers to your question-
I can already see a few items people have listed that while being handy, aren't essential.

Few items that are always in/on mine are
Engel
Dual batteries - (don't skimp on quality here)
Ww2 Australian machete
Chainsaw - (buy one that will last a lifetime, not two winters)
Winch - (dyneema rope is great)
1x 20lt bucket - (can be used as a seat, to do washing in, carry dirt etc)
Driving lights - (one spot one spread)
Rear LED worklight
Good tyres
Fire lighters - (not essential but so handy)

I wont list the obvious recovery/repair items.

Problem is I don't read that thread much, some of us prospectors aren't into too much 4wd stuff but love to get out there and prospect. Some great pointers there Condor!

Had my first tyre issue recently, and it was just pure luck I had packed the correct wrench and of course the spare wheel was fine and properly inflated. Given I change from bush to city driving I have to be careful about unpacking the car...wife has a tendency to take everything out and I have to go thru a checklist each time I repack the car for my prospecting trips. Since then have purchased a puncture repair kit and tyre inflator.

Do you know tow to tie off your wheel and use a pick as a bush winch if you car gets stuck or down a shaft? All I care is that I have my pan and shovel and I'm set. Watch old bush-mechanics ti learn tips of help wiyhout needing wizbang technology

I'm limited..very limited taking a low ford BA to the fields and sometimes have to hop out and fill holes / trenches just to d4ive over :(

Too true Atom, knowing some bush mechanic tips can help, if anyone else has some tips on "alternate procedures when stuck" they would be greatly appreciated. I know a mate who has done some bush welding to get out of trouble using his battery and i've heard people stuff tyres with grass.....although I don't know how the hell you would get a tyre on or off a 4wd rim without some pretty strong implements. What does one do if u left the jack at home and have a flat??

In my opinion the first accessory is a Donaldson dual fuel filter system.
2nd dual battery.
3rd spare tyre,puncture kit,hand tools, and hlift jack, compressor.
4th spare fuses and radiator hoses.
5th 12000 winch. and recovery gear, 4maxtraxs.
3 bash plates under car.
In a few weeks I will get the cus computer parameters adjusted a 3 inch exhaust.
This will give me more power and better fuel economy.

My vehicle is a 2009 3ltr turbo extra cab ranger,with a TDC high performance chip

This is my response to post 18

You should never remove a jack from the vehicle except to change a wheel, funny thing is people go and buy extra spare wheels and all the you beaut 4x4 gear and over look a 2nd jack.(not counting the high lift) Most times jacks do not work because of no maintenance or lack of use, so a trip to your wrecker can normally buy a cheep jack to suit your vehicle or you could buy a jack anywhere as a back up to your main one they are not that dear. I have a $35.00 hyd as a spare just in case in my 2wd hilux. I know of people that have driven off leaving the jack behind after a wheel change.

I also think a lot of 4x4 gear fitted to a vehicle is just more things to break, a winch for example should only be used to get out of a bad situation not to get yourself into one. People say I can get through that I have a winch instead of finding another way and half through the winch fails. It does happen. I meet a fella that had a nice shiny high lift jack an an even better 4wd wagon that had nowhere to place the jack if needed without doing damage to the vehicle, when I said this to him he said their must be somewhere everybody else has them. What I am saying is you can have all the gear you want but you should stick to what you need and what you have the ability to use correctly and safely that last thing you want is a break down or an accident.

This is only my 2 cents worth and I am not having ago at the experience 4 wheel drivers that know their stuff.

Cheers, DD

Latest posts