SA South Australia information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi to everyone, My wife and I are keen detectors mainly in Victoria. We are taking the caravan from Melbourne to Adelaide at the end of Jan and was keen to spend a couple of days detecting. mainly following the coast but open minded. Would appreciate any advise ????

In my experience, the first place for any gold detecting from Melb to Adelaide, is the Adelaide Hills. There are three designated sites - Mt Crawford, Echunga and Jupiter Creek. the South Aussies may know more. Geologically, once past Ararat/Stawell heading west to SA - nil. If you are chasing WW2 POW sites/RAAF base etc in the pine forests near Mt gambier - its a no go this time of the year with the bush fire season.

Jupiter creek may be worth a look. Some fresh diggings there by detectorists and I was very interested to see a few deep holes had been dug through undisturbed ground. There's still gold to be found and being largely overgrown in parts there's bound to be more that's been missed through the scrub. Found a 2 grammer under a grass tree a few months back. Nothing since though. Good luck.

Thanks Nuggetino,
You know whilst I love the thrill of finding some Gold, we just love getting out there in the bush and the characters we meet in the small town hotels we stay at. have had some great experiences

One for you South Aussies. Because of your 'prospecting laws' I don't know if these places are actually accessible or not. I like the sound of the Barossa location - go detecting AND get on the wazz. What a sophisticated state you folks have.

1406255142_a1.png

Jacobs Creek - now there is a winery!! I defy anyone NOT to have a great time in the Barossa.

There are 3 "Public" areas in S.A. 1. Mt Crawford Forrest, (which include Watts Gully and a small part of what is the Barossa Goldfields), 2. Jupiter Creek and 3. Echunga forest areas. All 3 total a lot less area than the Tarnagulla to Laanecoorie area in Vic. So not a lot.

Entry requires a Park Pass @ $5 per day. Although there maybe gold, it is small and very hard to find, as much of the area has been subject to logging over the years.

Other areas in the Barossa area are under S.A. Water management and detecting is prohibited.

In S.A. Gold detecting is called Fossicking not prospecting. We are allowed to fossick as a hobby in these 3 areas providing we have a Pass and providing we do not sell what we find. Miners Rights in Vic transfer ownership of gold found by the holder of such rights from the Crown to the Prospector. No such device exists in S. A.

All other areas described above are private property and the owners permission is required. Other areas such as in the Flinders Ranges, are National Park.
Some areas are subject to Mineral Exploration Licenses.

In other words, if you live in S. A. and wish to prospect for gold as a hobby expecting some success, my advice is drive 550kms to the GT in Vic, buy your miners rights and go for it.

If any of the above is wrong I'll stand corrected.

Unfortunately Condor is right there is so little here and that which is, has been flogged to death...Yeah yeah.. I know you can still find the odd missed bit in a flogged area ... but all I can say to that is..."go for it" .. . while your going for it I'll be looking in the back yards of those who come to SA because I definately know its is in your backyard.
In the outback of SA that's another story and likely to pay if you can find it.

For now the biggest difference is that the Public Lands in SA amount to National Park and the equivalent to Vic State Forests which are mostly run by Forestry SA.

Apart from the 3 areas I noted, the rest don't allow detecting. Although wandering with a detector probably won't get you in hot water, digging a hole probably will.
It's either conservation, logging forest or tree hugger tourism (usually at a cost.)

Even up north, it's either private, pastoral lease or indigenous, some of which needs a permit to enter.

Don't forget the Woomera Range, that's a huge part of the State, again very limited access.

You only have to drive around the Vic GT and count the interstate license plates to answer the question, why don't you detect where you live?

Years ago I got permission to hunt out an old WW2 PW Camp and an old Chapel site, both near Mt Gambier from SA Wood's and Forests in and around a pine plantation (rules - not summer/spring, not while there was logging - sign in,sign out). I see it is now Forestry SA which has 'leased' all its trees for 99 years, retrenched most of its work force and used the sale $ to pay for a football oval upgrade.

Yup, we got a "smart" state govt. They spent $650 million on an iconic oval "upgrade", to keep a football team happy and provide a supposed entertaining distraction for up to 50,000 people once a week.

In the mean time the other 950,000 residents of Adelaide can't get a hospital bed and are ramped in Ambulances, in corridors or on the floor of our hospitals.

Or $40 million on a foot bridge to cross a man made lake about 100 metres from a road and footpath that does the same thing.

The AFL did a $5 billion over 5 year deal for TV rights, I reckon if football want a new oval, football has plenty of money to pay for it.......

Condor ... Just for a tidbit, don't know how it would go to fossick... I read a article many years ago that after WWll beneath the Williamstown oval there were many unassembled airplanes in crates that were burried under the oval .. I know the crate contents are out of consideration but I wonder what other relics there could be in the general area.

Dreamwalking; Doesn't matter if you are fossicking for gold, or relics. The Williamstown oval is probably owned by the Barossa Council it's still private property. I lived in Wlm for 2 years and was up there last week, I've not heard that story, but anything is possible.

About the only place you can dig without permission is the beach (refill holes of course). Detecting a park for coins jewelry etc is ok so long as you don't dig.

Condor .... you have me worried over "(refill holes of course)" .. I sincerely hope you don't mean any holes beside the ones I dig... I could be there forever ... LOL

Latest posts