Your experience with nugget hunting using a metal detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If u semi rstired with A very patient wiff as i am bessed with u can become a prospector and spend a lot of time on research and heaps in the field . I am talking months . If u lucky ( ibeen pretty lucky ) u will mKe a profit .There is heaps of gold still out there but if u go to the areas that every else has been you hAve at least a 100 to1 chance of finding a gram .Research remote spots . BE TOTALY SET UP TO DO THE TRIP . Allow u expensives and dont come homd till u have made at least u costs . Thats the difference between a prospector and a fossicer

We've not done as well as Lookin but when a lot of gold was found in the area we went to, too many people turned up so we moved on. We prospect when we're on holidays and didn't want to compete with a lot of hungry gold seekers. Some were a little less than friendly and it created an atmosphere that didn't fit with our holiday plans.

This is our second year. The first year we got about 100g and I think we did better than the average. This time we had more experience and did better research and found a little over 1/2 a kilogram between my wife and I.

On the days that we go out I usually get up and about by 7:00 and try to find a nugget before returning to make Mrs M a cupper so she can get out of bed.
Then we're usually out there in two hour blocks, give or take an hour, it depends on the weather and if we're finding something. We've spent six months on the road and about half of that prospecting.

How do you consider breaking even? If you have a good job that you leave to find gold then you'd almost certainly do a lot better hourly rate at your job. If you don't work and just have to cover expenses than yes we've done well but we almost never pay for accommodation wherever we are. We've always bought good equipment but we're not extravagant.

We have a gold merchant lined up to buy our gold.

We almost always travel and prospect as a couple, alone in remote areas.

We only share locations with those willing to do the same.

The government Mines Dept is our most commonly used resource but we also use historical books and maps.

As Davent says, buy good gear. Good metal detectors hold their value so you're unlikely to lose much if you change your mind. Don't give up your day job....
It's not easy to find gold when you just pop out on weekends. It takes a lot of time and energy to find gold and then if you don't have the time to stick to your little patch when you find it somebody else will surely clean it out while you're back at work during the week :|

Your best bet to maximize your odds of success these days for full timers is going to be to get to know the right people. Research is important too but all the research in the world isn't necessarily going to get you access to good ground. One could also try for a position in mineral exploration. Coworker of mine did just that a couple years back. Had access to some incredible places and also met some people along the way. He never took a detector along, wishes he did though. One place he took gravity readings found himself collecting sun bakers all over the place.

ChrisSyd said:
I am considering going into nugget hunting, but before I get in head over heels I was hoping you could tell me about your experience with gold prospecting?

• How many oz. or grams of gold did you find in the last 12 months? that one I'd rather keep to myself sorry[/*]
  • On average how much time do you spend prospecting? 4 or 5 days a week, sometimes 7 sometimes 1 or 2. Depends on the weather, if I feel like it that day, or if I have other stuff to do.
    [/*]
  • Did you break even on your initial costs considering equipment and gas? many time over[/*]
  • What is the process for selling gold? Where do you go? internet, town, PW Beck, tourists in the van park. There are a million avenues to sell gold.[/*]
  • Do you go hunting on your own, with mates or though meet-ups? 99% on my own[/*]
  • Do you keep the location of your most lucrative hunting grounds to your self or share with others? very selected and trusted friends[/*]
  • How do you research? Maps, books, internet or meeting with other gold hunters? Maps, hot tips from mining companies, have had lovely friends put me in the right places to begin with. Above all, a hell of a lot of walking and ground reading.
    [/*]
  • What's your best advice for a newbie? Research, be prepared mentally and physically, be prepared safety wise, be prepared to put in the foot work and be prepared to be disappointed. Be optimistic too.
    [/*]

Thanks a lot!

Moneybox said:
We've not done as well as Lookin but when a lot of gold was found in the area we went to, too many people turned up so we moved on. We prospect when we're on holidays and didn't want to compete with a lot of hungry gold seekers. Some were a little less than friendly and it created an atmosphere that didn't fit with our holiday plans.

This is our second year. The first year we got about 100g and I think we did better than the average. This time we had more experience and did better research and found a little over 1/2 a kilogram between my wife and I.

On the days that we go out I usually get up and about by 7:00 and try to find a nugget before returning to make Mrs M a cupper so she can get out of bed.
Then we're usually out there in two hour blocks, give or take an hour, it depends on the weather and if we're finding something. We've spent six months on the road and about half of that prospecting.

How do you consider breaking even? If you have a good job that you leave to find gold then you'd almost certainly do a lot better hourly rate at your job. If you don't work and just have to cover expenses than yes we've done well but we almost never pay for accommodation wherever we are. We've always bought good equipment but we're not extravagant.

We have a gold merchant lined up to buy our gold.

We almost always travel and prospect as a couple, alone in remote areas.

We only share locations with those willing to do the same.

The government Mines Dept is our most commonly used resource but we also use historical books and maps.

As Davent says, buy good gear. Good metal detectors hold their value so you're unlikely to lose much if you change your mind. Don't give up your day job....
It's not easy to find gold when you just pop out on weekends. It takes a lot of time and energy to find gold and then if you don't have the time to stick to your little patch when you find it somebody else will surely clean it out while you're back at work during the week :|

Mrs and Mr Moneybox, I've said it once and will say it again!!

You are living the dream!! :cool:

Please don't stop posting about your adventures, because I'm sure that others, like me, are living vicariously through your posts ;)

Hope to shout you pair a drink, and swap a yarn or two around a campfire at some stage.

Keep on trucking and if you pass through the Central West of NSW make sure you give me a yell. :)

Cheers,

Billy.

For most of us prospecting is a hobby and I put my prospecting trips into 3 categories. 1 any trip that you cover costs is a fantastic trip, 2 find any gold a great trip,3 find no gold but have a few days in the bush swinging my detector is always a good trip. Traveling from S.A. to the Golden triangle my 1st. 2 trips were good, nil yellow. 3rd. trip was great .1gm. 4th. and last trip was great 1gm. I have been prospecting for the last 10 years when the opportunity was there mainly around the Pilbara W.A. where I worked and lived before and my total haul is just under 6 oz. with the best a 23gm and smallest .1gm. I still cherish every piece and pull them out every now and then to keep my interest up. Cheers Randolph

Latest posts