Your experience with nugget hunting using a metal detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisSyd

Christian
Reaction score
I am considering going into nugget hunting, but before I get in head over heels I was hoping you could tell me about your experience with gold prospecting?

• How many oz. or grams of gold did you find in the last 12 months?[/*]
  • On average how much time do you spend prospecting?[/*]
  • Did you break even on your initial costs considering equipment and gas?[/*]
  • What is the process for selling gold? Where do you go?[/*]
  • Do you go hunting on your own, with mates or though meet-ups?[/*]
  • Do you keep the location of your most lucrative hunting grounds to your self or share with others?[/*]
  • How do you research? Maps, books, internet or meeting with other gold hunters?[/*]
  • What's your best advice for a newbie?[/*]

Thanks a lot!

Hi ChrisSyd,

Welcome to the forum!

I can answer your last question: What's your best advice for a newbie?

Take the time to read the forum, all the answers you seek and more are contained within this realm.

There are no easy short cuts to finding copious amounts of gold. For the vast majority of us we spend far more than we will ever find in a lifetime.

Prospecting is not the end game, unless its your full time job, its something to do during the day while your on a trip away, a bit like a fishing trip I guess where you don't always catch a fish.

Please keep us updated with your experiences. People will help you but you have to put in some hard yards first to earn that trust and respect.

Cheers

RS

Started prospecting 48 years ago .Dont tell any one my good spots .prospect alone in far north qld but the guys at the drilling camp allways have a GPS on my spot to come find me if late back to camp . Sell my au privately (generally on net or pub) . Dont take people out with me cos not many tolerate the harsh conditions and love my own space when bush . LOTS of gold in 70s and 80s (befor detectors ) but harder to find as the years go by .It may take a week or a month to find a good spot before u find anything and thats after getting permission from the station owner or manager , which can take a fair while .I need to pull 2 oz to just cover my costs so dont allways make money.Generally go up north for 2 to 3 months straight or till my missus tells me to get home .Do most research thru net and GOLD AND GHOSTS by Dehavlin .I DONT SUGGEST ITS A GOOD IDEA TO PROSPECT ALONE in remote areas .Take 3x the ammount of drinking water then u think u need . Plenty supplies ,good communications (sat phone ) First aid kit that has everything in it .A very reliable car and have the ability to do bush mechcanics on it . I am very lucky cos every drill camp must have emergency heliecopter to evacuate jnjered

I would think the number of people that actually make a profit from prospecting would be a lot less than one in ten if all outgoing costs are considered. If making money is your motive for taking up the hobby you may be better off trying something else.

IF U GUNNA SPEND 5 grand on gear and think u gunna get u money back by just going out on the odd weekend and getting rich u better off buying a ticket to Bali and buying 3 1/2 grand of gold over there .You will proberly have more au that way and agood holiday thrownn in

• prospecting for gold about 4 months found lead for 3 months but gained experience, within the last month found 10 grams of various formations.[/*]
  • only w/ends exception was 7 days for 10 grams.[/*]
  • NO.[/*]
  • source a refiner, collector (crystalline or specie)or ebay[/*]
  • family but anyone would be o.k. If you have a wife and two kids pain threshold is quite durable.[/*]
  • not when something is found within a 100km radius.[/*]
  • maps, books, PA forum, and meeting with locals[/*]
  • I used to be very judgemental of towns and places, but when I started looking at them as like a cousin (you know, family that you don't always associate with, but some of them are good and some are not so good) I accept them all more like family now :cool:.[/*]

ChrisSyd, buy a $10 pan and get down to a creek and have a crack. See how you like the caper.

Many people think it is easy money but fail to consider that it is HARD WORK.

In six months I won 8g from panning. I have had people tag along that were super keen to get out there and cracked it big time when they discovered hard work was involved.

Personally, I love it!

All the best mate.

welcome and good luck chrisSyd, cant offer any advise, only recently bought a detector. Found 1 very small nugget during training at Hill end. If you work it all out before me give us a buzz, we will go and get the yellow stuff lol currently doing some research trying to find somewhere to have a look within a few hundred klm from wollongong

Welcome chrissyd, seriously suggest you hire a detector on a few weekends to give you a feel for being out "in the field".
Even better do a gold tour with a local tour operator, again gives you some field exposure, teaches you a bit about the detector and you have a better chance of first up gold.
Then, if you're still keen look at getting a 2nd hand unit from a reputable source.
If you're looking at it as a profit making exercise .... just buy it and wait for the price to go up.
Cheers T.

ChrisSyd it's a hobbie for the majority, otherwise known as headspace. It's my hobbie for many reasons.

I like the bush and serenity, isolation, fresh air, new locations just to mention a few. Like all hobbies you spend plenty of money and find satisfaction in your chosen pursuits.

I'm no good as an artist so I don't own a set of paint brushes or an easel. Wish I could paint there is something about a scenic location that an artist can capture for all time.

If you want to test the water join your local prospecting club and take it from there. You'll learn enough to help you with your decision, is it worth the investment or not. I hope this helps, it is a lot of fun.

Im new at this myself.
A few things.1) if you decide to get into it, gold that is, then buy the best detector you can afford straight up. Dont plan to up grade later, because by the time you do, you will have spent heaps on other things like trips, camping gear, coils etc. Buy right first time.
2) its hard work, expect to get fit, sunburnt and sore back, feet and body!
3) don, t expect the "welcome stranger" early on! Set a target to find any gold 1st, and go from there.
4) listen to peoples advice, when they say go low and slow, they mean rubbing the coil on the ground, and walking so slow, you are barely moving forward, it me ages to realise what slow means. It means it may take a few hours to cover 10m square, properly. I found 6 nuggets in about 10m last trip, I spent most of the day there, and I had been over the same ground many, many times before with exactly the same gear.
5) if you find you are not relaxed, and enjoying the experience, pm me and I might make an offer for your gear, lol. Many quit after a short while, with no luck.
6) treat every trip as an adventure.

If you are in it to try and get rich it won't work you'll go broke trying however if you dig and detect you are likely to find more gold than others but you must backfill your holes and test pan the ground before digging it.

RM Outback said:
ChrisSyd it's a hobbie for the majority, otherwise known as headspace. It's my hobbie for many reasons.

I like the bush and serenity, isolation, fresh air, new locations just to mention a few. Like all hobbies you spend plenty of money and find satisfaction in your chosen pursuits.

100% agree and for myself was to give me an excuse to get away from work. Funnily enough last trip led to a job of sorts in any case so like all things you never know what it may lead to but agree with one thing for sure .................. don't do it if it's for monetary gain only :rolleyes: as you may well be more disappointed than rewarded ;)
As for money spent ? Would say prospecting has cost me much less than many of my other hobbies / interest have cost. The only real ongoing expense once your set up is fuel to get where you need to be :D

Lucky Phil Been trying for one and a half years. Have found 4 bits of gold for a total of 2 grams............................ ever thought of a name change :) :) :) :) :)

I might be the odd one out, I started prospecting 11 months ago. In the first month I found 2 bits that didn't redgister on the scales but after that I got lucky
-
* not quite 12 months but the total is around 50 oz's
*2 or 3 days a week, with a good 6 to 8 hours of swing time each of those days
*didnt break even, made a very healthy profit
*sold gold at perth mint refinery
*50 % on my own 50 % with a mate
* might share depending on circumstances
*internet, books, word of mouth but mostly just get out there and look
* best advice....low and slow......and just do it

Bogger said:
RM Outback said:

100% agree and for myself was to give me an excuse to get away from work. Funnily enough last trip led to a job of sorts in any case so like all things you never know what it may lead to but agree with one thing for sure .................. don't do it if it's for monetary gain only :rolleyes: as you may well be more disappointed than rewarded ;)
As for money spent ? Would say prospecting has cost me much less than many of my other hobbies / interest have cost. The only real ongoing expense once your set up is fuel to get where you need to be :D

Lucky Phil Been trying for one and a half years. Have found 4 bits of gold for a total of 2 grams............................ ever thought of a name change :) :) :) :) :)
HAHAHA yea money is the byproduct for sure apparently gold is where you find it and I found it in the ground, the landscape, in tourists and in the locals.
Had a beverage with lucky phil unfortunately only one but maybe with better planning and time prevails a lot more will surely prevail.
when starting out I think it's okay to be a kid in a candy shop but I had to restrain myself from being a kid in every candy shop and I found yella,(still struggling) I wake up every morning since the recent trip waiting for opening time.

Lookin said:
I might be the odd one out, I started prospecting 11 months ago. In the first month I found 2 bits that didn't redgister on the scales but after that I got lucky
-

Nice rate of return, nothing like that in Victoria ... I wouldn't be wasting my time on any forum, I'd be out there trying to nail some more.
Happy hunting, T.

Lookin said:
-
Lookin like the hand of fate.

Latest posts