Would you keep digging? (Gpx5000 video)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all! How are we going?

I went out for the first time today at creswick using my fathers gpx5000 with an 18" nugget finder coil.

I hit a signal at the base of a tree and soon discovered that whatever it was, was under or inbetween two thick tree roots. I dug for an hour but got rained out so my question is. If it was you, Would you dig it!?

I might go back tomorrow morning and see if I can dig whatever it is out.. felt like it was stuck in the clay under the tree root.

Any help would be so very much appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
James.
P.S. sorry about the bad quality video. For some reason it loaded in really bad quality.

Dig everything until identified. You never know. I must admit I have left a target undug . An old steel rim off Im geussing a wagon wheel that would have taken hours to remove so had to leave it in the ground.

Dig everything if for some reason i cant i will always go back ,after i note the spot on the gps ,Even if it ends up being a horse shoe at least i never have to wonder

Yeah Nicho, dig it. Tree roots are a great place for capturing gold. You may have heard of the saying "A Glory Hole". Well many a time when a tree has fallen over, the hole has been very rich in gold trapped in the roots.

You never know if you don't have a go.

Ok so sounds like I'm going back there in the morning.
Would anyone know any common spots for the gold to be trapped? I waved a detector wand down there (I dig under the roots but clean all the clay off) but it showed no presence of anything? So made me a little confused.

I fell like it might be in the clay under the roots. I'll have a go before I head back home tomorrow, wish me luck!! And thank you all for the input. This really is an awesome community we're apart of!

Cheers,
James.

Will do.. have been stopping to ground balance all day, makes a big difference.

And I just researched the conductivity of tree roots too. It seemed to me that the target was coming from in between the roots but I'll have a much more detailed inspection tomorrow.

Cheers.

I cant remember to be honest I'll have a look first thing in the morning Reeks.

Do you think so? I suppose there's no definitive way to tell but to have a dig... I'll have a look and see if I can find some adjustments in the settings that may help my cause.

Cheers.

Have heard of the gpz,s picking up tree roots but never got them with 5000 .

1512221006_003.jpg

Hi UncleNicho

I'd also be digging until I found what it was that gave you that signal.

I recently had a similar experience with a target at the base of a tree, near a creek. After some excited digging, it turned out to be the brass end of a shotgun cartridge.

Good luck with this one and I hope it turns out to be a nice nugget.

Looking forward to hearing what it is you find.

regards
Rusty...

Bjay said:
Have heard of the gpz,s picking up tree roots but never got them with 5000 .

Kurrajongs are a shocker for it even with a 5000

Never heard of a kurrajong. Geussing its a tree from over your way.

Latest posts