Wombat Wednesday

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, so today is Thursday. But like a Wombat I move a little slower than most :)

I just came across this article this morning, where people send in their favorite Wombat photos on Wednesday.

I have to admit, I have a soft spot for these guys. As Aussie as a Kangaroo, and often with unique characters, from Tess the incontinent Wombat who sometimes shared a house with myself and two Zoo keepers from Healesville Sanctuary when I was a young bloke (you learned to look at the floor where you walked in that house pretty quickly), to the one I stumbled across sleeping on its side in an open drain on the side of the road at the last place I lived in. I thought it was dead, let out an "awww, poor thing!", when it opened one eye, looked up at me, and shot off faster than I thought a Wombat could run.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/abcmyphoto/2020-12-09/wombat-wednesday-2020/12964388

The problem with wombats is they have become an invasive species thanks to wires.
Wires have been re homing wombats all throughout the back roads of NSW in areas that are not their natural habitat and they cause massive destruction and environmental damage and breed like rabbits.
But aren't they cute on the city tv.

goldtrapper said:
The problem with wombats is they have become an invasive species thanks to wires.
Wires have been re homing wombats all throughout the back roads of NSW in areas that are not their natural habitat and they cause massive destruction and environmental damage and breed like rabbits.

I don't know about that. Studies have shown that wombats were prolific prior to European colonisation, throughout an area of Australia about 10 times larger than they are usually found in today.

Maybe a rewrite is in order: ;)

The problem with Europeans is they have become an invasive species thanks to their many means of transportation.
Europeans have been re homing themselves all throughout the back roads of NSW in areas that are not their natural habitat and they cause massive destruction and environmental damage and breed like rabbits.
[debatable]

grubstake said:
goldtrapper said:

I don't know about that. Studies have shown that wombats were prolific prior to European colonisation, throughout an area of Australia about 10 times larger than they are usually found in today.

Maybe a rewrite is in order: ;)

The problem with Europeans is they have become an invasive species thanks to their many means of transportation.
Europeans have been re homing themselves all throughout the back roads of NSW in areas that are not their natural habitat and they cause massive destruction and environmental damage and breed like rabbits.
[debatable]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :beer:

There no quite so adorable when theyve got mange covered in maggots and smell like, well a rotting wombat, then decide to live under your house. :awful:
Or the new one that has decided it likes to scratch around the garden. I can live with that but why do they have to crap on everything that is sitting up a bit higher than they are?

goldtrapper said:
I fully agree 10000%
My family has been here since 1903 and never had a wombat digging ever until 1995ish.
These painful pests were brought to the area by wires and they were seen dropping them off, now I estimate our wombat population a bit under 1000.
They are the dumbest and most destructive animal I know of , they will dig under fences 10 times in 30 meters because they are too retarded to remember where they first dug.
The complete destruction to creek banks is unbelievable, you could have a team of 500 highbankers and they wouldn't undermine the banks like these fury terrorists.

Personally I have grown to hate these over grown rats and wires should be charged with breaching biosecurity laws for their negligence in spreading animals into areas they never have been.
I admit bridges etc have allowed them to spread but wires are the wankers that fast tracked them in every direction. Bloody disgusting and has completely diminished my respect to any care for animals and eco system type groups.

A big screw you to the do gooder idiots , I love they save them but for God's F ing sake put them back into their natural territory.

Cmon AF

Tell us how you you really feel :/
Dont hold anything back mate..

I must be blind as I have only ever seen a dead Wombat and yes it was rancid.
Have seen their holes but never a live one.

You would think a group like wires would know of their destructive behaviour.
Why wouldn't they dump them in areas that they were used too?

StoneTheCrows said:
Cmon AF

Tell us how you you really feel :/
Dont hold anything back mate..

I must be blind as I have only ever seen a dead Wombat and yes it was rancid.
Have seen their holes but never a live one.

You would think a group like wires would know of their destructive behaviour.
Why wouldn't they dump them in areas that they were used too?

Because when you actually meet some of the Wires people it is easy to see they live in a sentient being numpty wonderland detached from the rest of reality.

Wombats are great..... In the bush where they belong . Nothing quite like driving through a paddock in the dark or long grass and taking out the front end after falling into new burrow that wasn't there yesterday. :argh: Damage to fences. as has already been mentioned. On the plus side more than one good loaming prospect has been found by sampling the ol womies spoil heaps and when they get together for a group dig they can plough up 20 or 30 square metres in no time. :(

jethro said:
Wombats are great..... In the bush where they belong . Nothing quite like driving through a paddock in the dark or long grass and taking out the front end after falling into new burrow that wasn't there yesterday. :argh: Damage to fences. as has already been mentioned. On the plus side more than one good loaming prospect has been found by sampling the ol womies spoil heaps and when they get together for a group dig they can plough up 20 or 30 square metres in no time. :(

Not wrong on the loaming my Dad scored some colour back in his younger years using this method, told to him by the old timers of his day.

Latest posts