Wild dogs and prospecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BigWave said:
Fishing at the Howqua River (Vic) just recently, we heard 3 or 4 howling late evening in the hills. Definitely not dingoes.

Plenty up there BigWave we've seen a few over the years. Know a bloke that got startled and startled a pack of 5 dogs chasing a wallaby there were other dogs further out at a distance, the wallaby survived that occasion. In the high country they are a big problem.

Augathella years ago it was a learning curve to see roos drowning a dog in the dam. We were on horseback so had time to watch it unfold.

They lured the pack close to the dam and swooped one up and in it went.

The other roos just sat in the water safe.

As each season comes and go's, we seem to see a lot more wild dogs roaming when out on the locos,and they are getting less concerned each year with human activity,i have seen packs of 2 and up to 8 dogs ,all mixed breeds ,a couple of years ago we got 4 on a mates property,3 large cross bred mongrels and a small terrier ,we could not believe that that little dog was running with them.
The last 6 years or so i have been spotting pure dingo's getting around, and they are not scared of humans and the area covered by them is growing each year,i mentioned it to a bloke in the know and he told me that all the dingo's relocated from fraser island are dumped in the bush behind me,and they have not been fixed as they are breeding.
Now what idiot from the office of morons thought it was a good idea, to put a wild animal that has all ready attacked humans, in a rural area where there is a built up area of about 500 or more people, about 1 1/2 km as the crow flies from where they are dumping them.
I am still waiting for a answer, it has only been 3 years. :mad:

Hhhmmm yes interesting. Mans best friend unless your alone in the wilderness and 5 of them confront you!

I prospect alone in some mountainous isolated places and personally Ive had a number of encounters with them. Ive had a large dingo looking dog get to within 8m and make some sort of bark at me. I ran after it with my pick while yelling at it, my best intimidating display but to my surprise it gave zero :poop: s. I think I might of been next to its den.
Had them follow me up gullies countless times- found their tracks next to mine on the walk out, which is earie if its well after nightfall.
Of a day Ive had at least two flank me down a narrow gully just up high enough in the scrub enough to be out of sight, to get downwind and downstream and then run up the creek bed at me. So I picked up the biggest boulders I could and hurled them in their direction, roared as loud as I could, and smashed my pick as hard and loudly as I could on a fallen log. That was the last I saw of them that day. I did take a compound bow with me after that for a while :argh:
At night while crouching down retrieving a target on two occasions Ive had them sneak up to a car length away. When I stood up they bolted. That was pretty creepy.
In the depths of a remote gully bout an hr before dark, no more than 200m upstream I heard a whole pack go into a howelup. :poop: I thought, I was on the gold too! So immediately and obviously very quietly I packed up and hiked out.
Then theres just the odd one you catch walking away from you in the scrub. These are not small dogs either. Apparently theyre not pure bread dingos, but mixed with stray hunting dogs.
Ive been told by park rangers, other prospectors and the general public they would never attack a human! . Im not convinced!

Email I got today.......

As per our chat, please note 5 possibly 6 Wild Dogs (Straw coloured and fully grown), loitering around the Western end of the New Accommodation area at time 10:33am this morning.

They appear to be taking turns traversing the new accommodation block areas and tracking back to the trees to the West (soil bund areas).

Best wishes,

xxxxxx xxxxxxx Medic Safety Officer

Garden Well Mine Site
PO Box 82, Laverton, WA 6440

Camera caught this critter roaming around the other night.
Sort of a cross between a Dingo / Whippet and a Fox but that is not possible.
Really Long Tail.
1610411423_stc_0027.jpg

Had a geo mate in a truck attacked by an elephant - he ran but it spent the next half hour demolishing the truck. Met a farmer in the same country with a scar front and back where an Eland bull ran him through. The cop was eaten by a lion. The baboons used to bark angrily at me as I would walk through their territory, which put the wind up me a bit, as did the leopards. Another mate had his calf muscle ripped off by a leopard. We have it easy in Australia, although the wild pigs around Mudgee make me nervous when mapping.

That`s What `i` thought.
Did see a Tassy Tiger in late 1992 around the back of Newcastle.
Blew me away tongue tied for a little bit , then said to the driver ``what did you think you just saw.``
i think i just saw a Tassy Tiger he said.

It does look like a Tassie tiger for sure

But likely of still being about it slim

I did see one in the back Hills when I was up fishing with my kind of grandmother and grandfather..

Driving back in the middle of the night my grandmother and grandfather said look what is that?

We all agreed that it was a Tassie tiger...

My grandmother and grandfather said don't ever tell anyone as they will hunt it down and kill it ..

Plus my grandfather had a skin of one hanging up in he's shed until one night someone broken in and took it :|

This was at Tassie

Wild Dogs up in the bush here in the N,east can be a problem especially Bitches protecting a den of pups if you should accidently get too close. A dozer operator had a pack of wild dogs try and cut him off from his machine in someones back paddock a few yrs back. Another bloke I know has a little Double Barrel 410 shottie that he takes with him when he prospects in the Upper Buckland /Ovens. loaded 1 solid & 1 00 buckshot.

Ive nailed one that was tracking me while I was deer stalking.

Big concern for me too out there where hardly anyone ever goes. All alone to.
There is some very big dogs out there and hand to hand combat is not going to do it.
I`ve thought about fire crackers or even a cap gun as a deterrent but my guess it`s the one you don`t see that`s gunna get you .
A bit like sharks.
With all these bush fires any that survived are out and about and very hungry.
Be nice to be able to carry a Pistol but i don`t think legally allowed in public in any Au state.
Life`s a gamble as they say.

Sorry mbasko , re edited prior your post.
Yes you are quite correct on that note.

LoneWolf said:
You guys need to get a pet Yowie, They are great for protecting you and your camp ... But they don't like cold weather... And don't feed them after Midnight.. ]:D

Lots of strange and un-identified animals in Australia...

LW...

Some have 2 Legs i`m told. :)

Similar shape hey !
Just down on the stripes.
If that smaller one is a female maybe a match.
The Big Head one is like the one we saw near Newcastle with stripes.
Any chance they ever crossed over with domestic dogs or were they a Marsupial.
Haven`t done any research on them but did post a record of my sighting around 10 yrs later.
I`ll go fetch the camera later see if there`s any new shots.
I know why it`s around here.My Compost Bin.
Big Ferrel cat i found dead under my floor a few weeks ago.
1`` teeth big head around 12kg.
a lot of hungry critters out and about at the moment.

Latest posts