Wild dogs and prospecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do the Australian thing and shoot the last one standing just to prove it's identity :argh:

Should have saved that one for the 26th that may explain terms like Superimposition.

1610723519_screenshot_563.jpg

1610724524_screenshot_565.jpg

Just my two bobs worth on this. Last year I was detecting along the ridge of the Bald Hills in Kingower, just to see what I could find near an old mine there. I got there just as the sun came up, and not far from a rocky outcrop was a recently deposited scat. It was neither Domestic or feral cat, and it definitely wasn't Fox or Pig. It was large, more like on the scale of a human log, but just laying there on the ground with no attempt to bury it or scratch over it.

It unnerved me to say the least, as one of my favorite books that I own is Barbara Triggs "Tracks, Scats and Other Traces"- A Guide to Australian Mammals, which also shows and describes the scats of introduced and feral animals that you may come across in the field. And, there's nothing like it in the book.

Deepseeker said:
Just my two bobs worth on this. Last year I was detecting along the ridge of the Bald Hills in Kingower, just to see what I could find near an old mine there. I got there just as the sun came up, and not far from a rocky outcrop was a recently deposited scat. It was neither Domestic or feral cat, and it definitely wasn't Fox or Pig. It was large, more like on the scale of a human log, but just laying there on the ground with no attempt to bury it or scratch over it.

It unnerved me to say the least, as one of my favorite books that I own is Barbara Triggs "Tracks, Scats and Other Traces"- A Guide to Australian Mammals, which also shows and describes the scats of introduced and feral animals that you may come across in the field. And, there's nothing like it in the book.

Just a thought..... Would you refer to that as a
Crap book or a book of crap :8
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mystery Dog Fox video available & ready but having difficulty uploading to P/A. not shore why.
Walks like a Dog & does not like being in the spot flash light totally avoidant.
Definitely not a Wolf. Doubt it`s a Fox.
Has stripes on tail and maybe on the body or maybe just shadow lines.
Ferrel Dog with a deformed tail and a big mouth.

1610849596_screenshot_569.jpg

1610849629_screenshot_570.jpg

1610849651_screenshot_567.jpg

1610849696_screenshot_568.jpg

Deepseeker said:

If you would have collected that scat it could have been tested to prove inconclusively it's origin......just saying.

What about putting some food down in front of the camera so you should be able to get a much better shot of it?

Just a idea that is all

Tried that 2 Shoes but only scored a bit of pussy.
Our other 4 Legged Ferrel i doubt is going to look into the spot light.
I`ll try hanging some tucker above the ground on a piece of string next.
Cat looks good nick and i`m surprised as no one close by has cats more so that it has not been eaten by the hound.
Our native wild life is in real danger as The Ferrel's are out of control. :N:
1610909442_screenshot_575.jpg

I remember seeing groups of wild dogs when I was working out near the Victoria desert in WA - They were a manky lot - all sorts of shapes, sizes and colours... Obv been breeding with dingos and domestics and some looked like munted Bulldogs. But some looked like that camera shot above - particularly the more dingo-ish ones. Get strange combos of big heads and long tails etc. Wild dogs in Aus are a motley crew. Never had any trouble with them. But there was always a leader of the pack, often a more sleek looking dingo type, and those boys were pretty fearless. I'd leave them alone...

Latest posts