Why are you called that?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to love going prawning and I always got "you should have been here last night", I used to look for specials in catalogues, but was always told that "they all sold yesterday", met a man in Victoria who was a detectorist about 35 years ago and I get the same thing "you should have been here years ago", so 2 late again it is.

Graham

How Nightjar began - We came across an abandoned haulage road where they had used lengths of 100mm PVC pipe for markers sticking out of the ground about a 1.5 metres. We thought some of these could be handy. Pulled one out of the ground and left in the hole was pile of grey feathers and skeletons of birds. We pulled more and low and behold in one of the holes was a live bird but near dead.
We took the bird back to the camp and kept it in a box for a few days with water until finally releasing it. Photos later revealed it was a Nightjar - Owlet. Nocturnal insect eating bird which roosted in daylight hours in any nook they can find. These unfortunate birds chose a a roost they could not climb back out of.
I wrote a letter to then Premier of WA, Richard Court, including photos and concerns that many birds were suffering an agonising death where these pipes were being used.
Happy to say the Mines Minister took this concern onboard and the use of pipe markers was banned from any further use.
Also very happy to say, after constructing some nesting boxes and hanging them around our camp Nightjar's have made them home during the day and to raise their chicks.
Nightjar's can be heard at nightfall & first light, a high pitched shriek they give as they leave and return to their roost.

Another time, another date will pass on a success story behind the reason all new exploration drill holes are sealed of with either a concrete or plastic plug. In mean time in your travels if you come across any PVC pipe sticking out of the drill holes that doesn't have a cap on it, grab a rock and seal it off. You will be doing our fauna a great service.

Two Nightjar chicks being reared in one of our nesting boxes. The only photos we have managed to get in 25 years.

I got the nickname when I was working in the Mines, there were two of us on the crew with Pete as a first name, the other Pete was the Supervisor, so having McLean as a last name one of the fellas came up with PMac didnt want to question the guy and say hey shouldnt it be PMc. Or Im sure I would have got a much worse nickname. I was born in 77.Used to be called DTrain when I was younger but thats a whole other story. ;)

"Oh so you're off to be a guessologist then?" - my supervisor at the IT helldesk when I told him that I was quitting and going to study geology. Burned into my brain for some reason, and it's always available as a username!

Mackka said:
Hey Nightjar, I know we have had our moments, however, it appears we both have a love for life and birdlife. Thank you for doing what you did and all birds thank you.
Regards
Mackka :Y: :Y: :Y: :flowers: :flowers: :beer:

All good Mackka. :D :beer: :beer: I'm not giving you flowers though. :lol:

Love for all our precious wildlife. :gemstone: :goldnugget:
We rescued two bungarras out of a collapsed drill hole using boot laces and geo pegs, again one was almost dead, the other one wanted to rip our bloody arms off, ungrateful bugger. A feed of chicken and a bowl of water and "half dead" staggered off later in the night.
Another letter to the Premier and Mines Minister and as already mentioned all drill holes now have to be capped to prevent wildlife disappearing down the holes suffering a slow death. You may have seen in your travels lengths of black poly pipe sticking out of the ground? On the end is a cone shaped piece of concrete blocking the reverse air drill holes. My mate now uses Bungarra as his pseudo.

It's not all wild here in the West, we sometimes have soft hearts..... :heart:

Shame you didnt take the flowers mate as the natives were delicious :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We are really bad people in Qld as we feed birdlife as there isnt enough natural fodder for them to sustain life as it has been so dry for months.
The kookaburras turn up with dry dust on their beaks searching for food and my wife took pity on them, now healthy and so is their young.
Appreciate all you do for our feathered friends.
Cheers
Mackka :Y: :Y: :power: :flowers: :beer: :beer:

Had a few nicknames over the years Chopper when I worked in the meat industry, Bruiser most of my adult life after a blue at the footy but that name is often taken on forums and my wife and I lived together in 70s at the beach and a mate gave me the tag of harbourmaster and as we have retired to the coast I thought it time to use it again. So if you want to fish in Sturt Bay you need my permission :) :p

goldierocks said:
Mine may seem appropriate and obvious - but I met three bears at close quarters in the bush (North west Territories, Ontario). A bit scary when alone - I nearly created a coprolite.
Funny but I only found out what coprolite was the other day in a newspaper quiz - fossilised dinosaur Poo and I felt quite clever when I read your post and knew what it was, yay for me.

Terrifying for you bumping into the three bears!!

Were they eating porridge? :D

Latest posts