Who said there's no detectable gold in Tasmania?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some Tassie nuggets detected during Easter. The larger one in the top right weighs 3 g exactly, and all the little nuggets, which are between 0.05 and 0.2 g, were all found within a few square meters.

1428454981_20150408015.jpg

Very nice looking gold, give the place a hammering mate, and look over your shoulder.

silver said:
It was probably the above ground bit(ha).
Lambs73 said:
What area of tassie were you detecting?

Hi Silver,

Considering the wonderful state/landmass of tassie has some very questionably characters with apparently two heads, so I've been told. I asked the question as it intrigued me as to what part of tassie.
I couldn't give a rats if I was handed a map with X marks the spot on copious amounts of gold in tassie, believe me when I say it still wouldn't encourage me to wonder around over there with the Zed.........ever. Lol

But that's just my thoughts ;-)

Either way, well done mfdes. Great finds mate.

Lambs73 said:
silver said:
It was probably the above ground bit(ha).
Lambs73 said:
What area of tassie were you detecting?

Hi Silver,

Considering the wonderful state/landmass of tassie has some very questionably characters with apparently two heads,

Could use 2 detectors simultaneously with 2 heads, lol.

I think I would be doing more than detecting that area... I would be looking to find where the nuggets came from using all prospecting methods.... nice gold mate.. I see the guys with detectors find a honey spot detect the top only and walk away possibly missing something much more interesting/valuable in the area:)

Northeast Tassie. Sorry I can't be more specific, the tenement holders would not like people swarming over their block.

On the note of looking over your head, almost every square inch of the state that is prospective for gold is covered by tenements, so seeking permission is a must. The signs of 'Trespassers will be shot' isn't always a joke.

My prospecting buddy WAS in fact using a Zed. If I could afford one, I'd probably feel safer using it down here, than across the ditch where prospectors keep disappearing. Over here the biggest danger (other than falling into a shaft) is running into someone's plantation in the bush. I've run into several and I always get a bit woried. Anyway, in our case the SDCs were more useful in the thick scrub and bracken. The big one was in a mullock heap. Along with enough detonator remnants (they sound so sweet to the SDC!) to make me wish I never see another detonator in my life!

Nice mate ,it would have been difficult to leave that patch :D
How much gold did the GPZ find?

Varts said:
How much gold did the GPZ find?

Surprisingly enough it found less, about 1.5g all up. I think the SDC had the advantage of fitting into tight spaces between rocks and in the scrub.

Bacchus said:
mbasko said:
I think I'm gonna have to get a map of Tassie & have a long, hard look at it. Be good to have a poke around down there :lol:

The current ones are much easier to read mate ;)
Yeah all the sweet spots are more easily identifiable now. Much better than the old maps of Tassie although either would do. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. :lol: