Who is using Minelab 11" DD coil

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlS

Karl
Reaction score
I just bought Minelab 11" DD coil to use with White's SPP. At $139 for new coil I just could not resist . I know that it may not be best coil avaliable. So there is the question, do you use it and what is the smallest gold you have found with it.
Karl

I used to use the ML 11" DD on my 2200D - great coil. Lots of sub-grammers but close to the surface. Exceptionally good on mullock heaps and around surfacing. Because its a DD, ensure you get plenty of overlap between sweeps. Very good clean out coil as well for patches. The Commander, if thats what you got, is a good coil. Coilteks 11" is fine as well (the brown coil)

(I used the 14" for patch hunting - no where near as sensitive but then again, I wasn't after tiddlers to get a start).

Unless my mono coils explode, never.. I've got a super gold search 11" but i only used it once.

0.33 gram and 2 gram with the stock 11" dd on a gpx4500. The first piece was only about 3" deep on a mullock heap and second around 10" Also pulled some junk from surprising depths with this coil. If it died I'd buy another. I'll add that this coil is extremely stable in mineralized ground and low susceptibility to EMI.

LazyTrommel said:
Unless my mono coils explode, never.. I've got a super gold search 11" but i only used it once.

If you only use monos, may I ask how you handle very trashy areas a mono generally can't cope with (the user that is, too many false targets).

loamer said:
LazyTrommel said:

If you only use monos, may I ask how you handle very trashy areas a mono generally can't cope with (the user that is, too many false targets).

Its never been a big problem. I don't generally detect where others frequent.. And if i do I'll switch to the 8" mono or move on..
If the ground is red clay and hotter than hell, maybe I'll switch over to a DD, but I've yet to come across ground that hot to date..

My 11" DD will detect down to 0.30 of a gram at maybe 1-2 cm.. the same size mono coil will do it at 3-5 inches..
I'm sure many people have great success with DD coils, I'm just not one of them.

11" DD was my favourite coil on the GP3500, along with the 15x12" DD commander.
On the GPXs, it only got used for real thick trash, and near powerlines (in cancel).

Still, in mildish ground with lots of EMI, the DD in Sensitive Extra often worked a treat, where the 11" Mono would be wobbling too much.
Anyone who's attended a training session with me up at Jupiter Creek would have seen this first hand.

From my inexpierenced side of it, it all depends on your detecting spot, if you are going to an area with very little EMI, i would run the mono, close to built up areas (eg bendigo where the idiots put the city right on top of one of the greatest goldfields) then its DD hands down, cant hear gold if your detectors sounding like a startrek movie.
Makes me wonder why minelab gave away a Mono and a DD in its 5000 package, 2 different coils, for 2 different uses. :)

Latest posts