Whites TDI Pro v Garrett ATX

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WalnLiz said:
This debate can be discussed on so many different levels and you will get a different set of outcomes on targets from within different sections of even the same field. The ATX certainly has an advantage in that it looks at targets as a single element and can be set for large and small targets with just the one function.

The TDI cannot be compared to the ATX in "set and detect all nuggets" with one setting. If you set the TDI in "Low" conductivity you will be able to pick up extremely small nuggets, but a 1oz nugget under the coil with this setting and you will hardly hear it at 4". If you want to pick up the best depth on "All" targets (large and small) you need to be in "ALL" target conductivity and using High or Low will give varying responses.

Frequency will always make a difference as well and If kept generally in the middle will give the optimum results. I don't want to go into Pulse delay and the other settings on this thread as I don't want it to be a lesson on how to "correctly" set up a TDI.

I have an ATX sitting in my lounge room and have a lot of time for the machines capabilities. I also have a TDI sitting next to it and just as happy with its capabilities to compete with the ATX in total numbers both would pull on the same field. Like i said in the earlier post both are great in their price range, and I agree with you that neither will compete with the 5000 (though this is not the exercise).

Your view of which one comes first, second or third is based on your own experience, as is my own personal view.

One has to weigh up "All" the pros and cons oneself....as both will find both minute and large nuggets in extremely mineralised ground.

Cheers Wal

Great post and for the reasons stated here I would choose the SPP over the TDI Pro due to its simplicity though the question raised
was about the atx and tdi pro.

It does not take very long to master the TDI once you use one for a full day on the goldfield. The ATX is a brilliant machine and that's why i decided to eliminate myself from the ATX / GPX5000 debate after my initial testing. ( But for the record I won't be getting rid of the GPX )

I also chose to eliminate myself from the ATX / TDI comparisons as there is in my opinion not enough differences between the two machines to categorically say one is far better than the other. What sways it toward the TDI for myself is two important factors which are dictated by the areas i find most of my gold.

Firstly weight of the two machines. Can the machine be swung comfortably for a full day or multiple days on end. This is more important than most people realize until they're actually out there for extended periods.

Can the coil be pushed into nooks and crannies and into clumps of spinifex or branches without "Falsing" continually (as this is where much of the gold lays these days). We may be different to many in that we scrape our coils continually to get the most out of the coil depth.

It's not always "Which detector goes the deepest". The 40gram nugget I got on my last trip could have been recovered with an "Aldi Detector".

In my opinion the most important thing one should ask oneself is, for what length of time will I be swinging the detector, and in what kind of environment will it be mainly used.

We are fortunate that we have 3 very good PI machines on the market and each of them has a place amongst the serious prospector. Buy the one that suits your needs best. ;)

Cheers Wal.

Jon said:
My friends who have done the same found the TDI on discriminate high low conductivity missed 50% of the gold they tested on either setting. A couple of good species they tried with several ounces of gold in wasn't heard in one of the dics settings at only 6 inches and visa versa it went. Meaning they could go over ground with it in high and miss easily detectable gold and the same would apply to low.

This is well covered in the manual so those results should come as no surprise. The recommended / optimum nugget hunting mode is ALL which detects all sized targets are decent depth, the high and low "discrim" options are there for situations that warrant such settings.

Jon said:
I have used the TDI and tried what they did and did definitely see the differences in high low conductivity settings and the pulse delay which was a bit disconcerting. For my money you cant beat a Minelab, no ifs, but I don't think the TDI is the one that comes second, the ATX is, then the TDI third. I see also that Steve Hershbach, probably spelt it wrong, sees it the same.

I'd be disappointed if I saw no difference between the high and low modes OR the pulse delay. So what you're basically saying is these settings are working as intended, that's not very disconcerting to me :D

ATX versus TDI is a really tough question. I have had both since they came out. I do believe the a ATX has a slight performance edge if you test a large number of different size targets in different ground types versus the TDI. The closer the target gets to the current ground balance setting on the TDI the worse the response gets, leading to very poor performance on some surprisingly large gold.

However, I do agree that detection depth is only one factor. The TDI may be chest or hip mounted, versus a very heavy ATX. The coil selection on the TDI is incredible compared to the very limited selection for the a ATX. The ATX is waterproof which may be a good thing, but if you do not need waterproof saddles you with extra weight, expense, and numerous orings on headphone, battery door, and coil connections that gather dirt unless handled carefully and cleaned often. You are stuck with Garrett phones unless you buy an adapter.

The ATX uses eight rechargeable AA batteries versus the specialty Lithium Ion battery in the TDI. You can get the TDI SL or SPP which use eight AA batteries, but the units suck them dry in half a day, whereas my ATX will easily run a full day plus on a set.

However, just to show how some things are personal preference, my ears like the sound the ATX puts out. I find the audio to be much more nuanced and informative than on the TDI, especially the abrupt tendency of the TDI to overload on shallow targets.

I really hate to get this simplistic about things but if you need waterproof, go ATX. If not, take a really hard look at the TDI. If all that matters is best overall performance on gold, the rest be damned, I would choose the ATX.

Thanks for all your responses
What did I get
Drum rollll
I went ATX for the reasons
Easy set up
Good for a user with limited at best experience
Compact
Tough
Waterproof,because I like doing the beaches
Less knobs for silly mistakes
And a killer hard case

I still may get a whites in the new year
I like the gmt as well as the tdi
But I am like a kid with a new bike at Xmas
Thanks again :D

Give you a comparison to this vid......go to a "Holden" dealer and ask him what he thinks of "Ford". Worst comparison of detectors on You Tube. ATX's are great machines, but if you have "no idea" of GPX settings you should not make biased comparisons, and pretend you know how to use a GPX.

He's also sponsored by Garrett to make things worse......Better off watching Warrens vids on NQ explorer.......But in saying this the ATX is still a very good machine. ;)

Cheers Wal.

Yeah I agree
He seemed a bit biased
Have what he'd the NQ guys vids they are great
He lost me when he started mocking the coil choice
7 more sleeps till I'm on the beach for 7 days can't wait

Go the Troopy :D .....seriously though...you have a great detector there, but pay "little" if not "zero" attention to to this guys collection of comparisons. You will have plenty of chances to compare them once you get out in the field with fellow members. ;)

Cheers Wal.

the first thing I noticed was he was comparing a GPX 5000 and an ATX, my first instinct was "this aint right" my first reaction was to close the page , after watching 5 seconds of the video , with no experience using a detector I can tell you without a doubt the guy's real name is Wayne Kherr.

Mudguts good choice . .. If you get the 8" coil you won't be disappointed when out looking for gold . And good luck
Hopefully pmcoils will have the nuggeteer mono coils soon. In field testing didn't show knock or bump falsing of the coil .

Stalker
I was thinking is was only a matter of time until someone makes after market coils to suit the ATX
This is going to make the ATX more popular
And hazard a guess a better more accurate machine

If somone could make a coil for the ATX that was as solid as the sdc coil with no falsing at high sensitivity settings, it would make it a lot better. And while they are at it a 14x9" coil for the SDC please. :p

That was my point, overall performance. Ill admit iv seen some garbage vids on the ATX that were pretty dodgey. That said I still think the ATX is better overall. The blokes I know that used it are guns and would make some weep with their gold finds, they do me at least. I have though honestly seen as Steve, some pretty poor performance on large gold by the TDI. If anyone really tested the TDI out on a variety of nuggets from small to big I think they would be pretty surprised at what they see. My reference to the highs and lows is for discrimination, not for or to go around in one or the other in all circumstances. Its the most limited discrimination I have seen.
You could find a specimen with several grams of gold and easily miss one with several ounces in it shallow close by, with no other metal near it. It will be discriminated because of its, to the machine, conductivity. One it saw as high and the other it saw as low. You could walk over some junk, discriminates, some more junk, discriminates, a small specie or nugget of several grams and ping it, then some junk, discriminates, then a specie 6 inches deep on its own with veins of gold freely showing of several ounces of gold and it discriminates. Seen it done.
But hey, just my own observations and guys I know and putting it out there for some to be aware of.
I could have said, hey they all find gold, go with what makes you happy!
No intention to ruffle feathers. Good luck out there Mudguts. Ripper fish in the av too by the way.

Mudguts said:
Stalker
I was thinking is was only a matter of time until someone makes after market coils to suit the ATX
This is going to make the ATX more popular
And hazard a guess a better more accurate machine

It will help heaps ..The only downside of the nuggeteer coil Is that It won't be waterproof . Just dry land detecting . That would suit me fine .

Cost wise about 300 bucks initially that Includes a adapter for the shaft .

As for the sdc . I think it's too complicated internally to run bigger coils without some major tweaking being done . and if it was possible what would the trade off be.. loss of sensitivity. ?. May even need more power to run a bigger coil. ? . or worse shorter hunting times with the C cells .

So as far as bigger coils for the sdc goes it's a not going to happen at this stage . but who knows what the after market coil manufactures have planned.

I was told they were just doing some final electrical tests . So hopefully next month . But may be limited due to the coil lead plugs being hard to get. But don't hold your breath waiting. I asked pmcoils if they had pics of the coils on the atx . But so far not seen any.

You could email them or ask them on their Facebook page .

Mudguts said:
Just found this
Is it just me or is there more to this story
Of have I purchased the ultimate weapon
http://youtu.be/k72F-61e1UQ
I hope it's better than a 5000 sadly I think I know the answer to that

Just thought I'd let you know that there are guys comparing these machines without bias. This chaps tests reflected the same tests I did using 1, 5, 10, 20 and 40 gram nuggets.

Both machines are great but don't let anybody tell you that big nuggets get discriminated out in all metal mode with a TDI. Too many guys out there starting their view point or opinion with the words "My mate said", or "the blokes I know".......not much interested in that. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pNtGN6rWYk

Latest posts