Whinge of the day thread...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had one like that just the other day MB took down a parcel to post in a pre paid bag. Same set up small sub branch in a store, gave it to him and watched to make sure it was scanned in no problem. Got home and thought better check that as being lodged? Checked number and stated DELIVERED The dill had scanned it as delivered. Went back and asked for it to be fixed and he could not do it, so of we went on a 100K round trip to another town to get it all sorted. The killer was when he asked me "Why are you upset with me" :oops: 😂
hmmm, your far more forgiving than me.

hmmm, your far more forgiving than me.
One mellows with age, nowadays one tries to not bother to much with the small stuff. All be it I did later request reimbursement for my $30 fuel used from owner :rolleyes: 🤣 He was a back slapper from Belgium with a real arrogant attitude, only 3 weeks in Oz. I turned to his wife who was also there at the time and said, you need to settle your husband down a little otherwise with his attitude, I can guarantee you he will end up with a broken nose or worse ....................... especially in outback Australia 🤔

In real life he's as fit as fiddle and skinny as a rake, how else could get down everyone's flue there mainly 6" inch at best 🙄 Give him credit, when everyone switched to combustion fire places he's reinvented himself to stay strong to the cause. It's utterly ridiculous to have too read what these politically correct numbskulls have come out with 😳 ffs every dressup Santa is keeping with tradition not the reality of the real Santa 🎅 Merry Christmas everyone 🎄☃️

Can the know it all, politically correct wa….res who are now fat shaming Santa Claus take a good look in the mirror, do a touch of self analysis and some solid thinking about what they are saying, plus give some consideration as to whether he is actually is real. Maybe they are just ficticiously fat shaming him.
The problem with obese people could be solved by not letting them into the supermarket, hotels, clubs etc. It's NOT Santa's Fault. Leave him and Mrs. Claus alone.

The problem with obese people could be solved by not letting them into the supermarket, hotels, clubs etc. It's NOT Santa's Fault. Leave him and Mrs. Claus alone.
Well, we used to leave a 750 ml bottle of Fosters and a big slice of fruitcake and he always got through it - multiply by how many kids.....what do you expect. Not his fault.

I just read a story in the paper about "dodgy petrol pumps and supermarket scales" ripping off millions of Aussie consumers with 6 percent of petrol pumps fleecing us of up to $29 million per year and supermarkets robbing us of even more. 😡

I think it's right, it's a report by the National Measurement Institute, they're the watchdog that does the checking to make sure we're not getting ripped off and they wouldn't publish these facts if they didn't have the proof to back it up.
That's fine, but maybe you could have told us that in the first place or even provided a link to the story?

Might be just a 'silly season' beat-up. Australia has a pretty solid weights and measures regime, including inspection and testing:
https://www.industry.gov.au/national-measurement-institute/trade-measurement

The 6% who are ripping off customers were discovered by a Weights and Measure's audit by the official organisation. Nothing to do with the silly season just the facts of the audit and yes it is quoted as 29 million 😳 The unfortunate truth is unscrupulous people will always try their hand at ripping off anyone and everyone where and when they can, no amounts of audits will prevent it. The upside is they did the audit and published the findings 👍what happens next is anyone's guess I suppose. Whatever it is the next audit will find the same thing happening time and time again.

That's fine, but maybe you could have told us that in the first place or even provided a link to the story?
It's just a post about an article I read in the Adelaide Advertiser, there are no links, and I'd imagine that the same article would probably be in every major newspaper in the country.

It's just a post about an article I read in the Adelaide Advertiser, there are no links, and I'd imagine that the same article would probably be in every major newspaper in the country.
It is actually difficult to find - I found dozens of reports on the 2019 check but only one (article without charge - Adelaide Advertiser) on the 2022 check, and the National Measurements Institute website did not seem to give any details except 2019. The pump owners were fined then. They check 4000 to 10000 pumps per year.

Interestingly the 2022 Advertiser article only gave the figure for under-pouring pumps. The numerous 2019 reports give both the underpouring and overpouring figures, and at that time far more were overpouring (i.e. in the customers favour) - the same was true in 2018. So it may be as much failure to maintain pumps as intentional. And they say "the report did not suggest that the errors were being made intentionally".

Last edited:
The actual audit report is available here:
https://www.industry.gov.au/sites/default/files/2022-12/legal-metrology-compliance-2021-22.pdf
The relevant section of the report for fuel bowsers is as follows:
View attachment 6541
$29M is the upper end of a range starting at $9M and isn't an actual amount, it's just a number derived from the 3970 bowsers tested, 5.7% of which delivered less fuel than indicated, while 2.2% delivered more.
Since nearly half as many errors (2.2%) were errors in favour of the consumer, their statement re $9 to $29 million lost by customers seems an exaggeration (which surprises me for an authority of this type). It does not seem major to me, given that in many years it has been equally as much to the customers advantage. The limit of 0.3% is a fairly tight maximum error (300 ml in every 100 litres - most car customers probably get closer to half that amount of petrol per refill, so perhaps 200 ml).
I don't think I will measure my local APCO servo, since he is typically nearly 15% cheaper per litre than elsewhere, commonly a $20 savings per fill in my 4x4 (seems to beat a 30c overcharge)..

Assuming around 7,000 service stations (a figure I found online), if they are ripping off customers to the tune of say $10 million per year in total, that is about $2 per day per service station. Sounds a slow way to get rich,,,,they probably make a lot more profit each day just on their dim sims.

It always sounds a lot when you multiply an amount by much of the population (in this case all fuel bought by all the motorists of Australia over a full year). Sounds less this way (per service station per day), and helps one judge intent more accurately.

Latest posts