Which Fridge, (its Driving Me Nuts)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are really efficient from memory they have a max draw of 2.5 AMP so even my 75amp battery is overkill, its always running in the ute and ive never seen the voltage drop below 12.8 volts, running a domestic 12/24 1x120 watt PV panel to 25amp mppt.
If your running 2x180ah it would be a ripper system, and plenty in reserve.
Happy hunting man
Ryan

Ridge Runner said:
condor22 said:
I have an Engel, it turned 21 yrs old this year. It has had an insulating cover on it the whole time. For most of it's life it got put in the back of the wagon when needed.
At home it was used as a beer fridge in Summer and as a freezer for bulk soup in the winter.

It is now fixed on a slide in the back of the 4x4 and goes where I go. I look after my kit, this fridge has no dents, no rust and is as good as the day I bought it.

The Sawafuji swing motor is so quiet that to hear it you have to put your ear on it.

For my money it craps all over the plastic jobbies. It doesn't matter re weight, empty, most are manageable, but lifting them when full of food and drinks is not advisable unless there's 2 of you.

Also unlike the Waeco, the Engel comes with a slide covered connector for both 240VAC and 12VDC, an inbuilt inverter and a cable for each. You don't need separate power supplies or inverters.

So 3 choices, Engel, Engel or Engel....perhaps I'm biased, lol.

How big is it, Did you go for the MT45 or the 60ltr model??

And does it carry enough food for all of you???

john

It's a 29lt, but I also have a 110lt in the van so plenty of room. The wife uses the van fridge for food and nowadays I get the Engel for the beer n bundy

29l is still big enough for food, depends how long for, where and what you eat.

condor22 said:
Ridge Runner said:
condor22 said:
I have an Engel, it turned 21 yrs old this year. It has had an insulating cover on it the whole time. For most of it's life it got put in the back of the wagon when needed.
At home it was used as a beer fridge in Summer and as a freezer for bulk soup in the winter.

It is now fixed on a slide in the back of the 4x4 and goes where I go. I look after my kit, this fridge has no dents, no rust and is as good as the day I bought it.

The Sawafuji swing motor is so quiet that to hear it you have to put your ear on it.

For my money it craps all over the plastic jobbies. It doesn't matter re weight, empty, most are manageable, but lifting them when full of food and drinks is not advisable unless there's 2 of you.

Also unlike the Waeco, the Engel comes with a slide covered connector for both 240VAC and 12VDC, an inbuilt inverter and a cable for each. You don't need separate power supplies or inverters.

So 3 choices, Engel, Engel or Engel....perhaps I'm biased, lol.

How big is it, Did you go for the MT45 or the 60ltr model??

And does it carry enough food for all of you???

john

It's a 29lt, but I also have a 110lt in the van so plenty of room. The wife uses the van fridge for food and nowadays I get the Engel for the beer n bundy

29l is still big enough for food, depends how long for, where and what you eat.

Well I was thinking about maybe 2 or 3 weeks at a time at the most,?

Hi Ridgerunner,

I see there are a lot of Engel users on this site, true they are good but the real ducks nuts of portable fridge freezers would be the "Trailblazer", why? you ask... if the Aussie army buys these in bulk they must be ok, but in saying that I've had many yrs experience with these fridge/freezers from working in the Gulf of Carpentaria and all I can say they are the best thing for any conditions bar none!!
121-2111_th.jpg
Go onto that web site provided and you won't be disappointed, a word of warning though, they aren't cheap in price or quality.
I went to the Palmer River for 3 months and took an Eva cool 90ltr, and it worked fine but mind you I did nurse it as the temps were over 40deg under my tarp and over 55deg where I was panning,
I was constantly using a wet blanket over the top of it to keep it closer to sanity as I could before it had a monumental collapse in the heat, but all in all it worked well considering the temps.
The Trailblazers are a hardy unit where they have sturdy tie down points and can be taken to the harshest/hottest/ roughest places with ease, the other fridges like mine in particular will succumb to bruising in utes/vehicles or while travelling, ie corners of the unit will eventually suffer from being taken in and out of vehicles unless the utmost care is taken.
Hope I have added a genuine open eyed look at your options,

Cheers

BJ

I had the older type Waeco (with LED thermo panel) that ran well for a few years, started getting a few issues with it though, one time while camping my brother didn't "click" the lid down properly before bed on a warm night and I woke to a new deep cycle battery with only 5 volts, the auto cut off on the fridge failed and cost me $400 for a new battery, I gave up on that fridge when I went camping 12 months ago on a 2 week trip, first day with the new 80watt solar panel on the fridge gave me grief, I used to run it on a 60watt panel with no issues, anyways, it turned out that the fridge decided to run continuously and drained my batteries quicker that the panel could charge so it ended up being an ice box esky for the rest of the trip which meant we couldn't do the off road bush camping we'd planned for the second week.
As soon as we got home I purchased the Engle fridge/freezer combo and haven't looked back, more efficient, better construction and the lid concept alone is worth the extra $.
I can't comment on the new Waeco fridges but I personally wouldn't buy anything other than an Engle now, simply so I've got the confidence it won't let me down when I'm 2hrs from the nearest civilization, that alone is peace of mind and in my opinion Engle have the best reputation for a reason, sometimes you've got to pay extra for a quality product.
In fishing they always say "buy the best gear that you can afford" and that saying is true with many things, as long as you know what to expect from the product you buy there should be no "surprises".

With 300 watts of solar panels you could run any large fridge with ease providing you had a good battery to store some power and enough sun through the day to shine on the solar panels but I myself have 2 engels and can't fault their operation plus low amperage draw when running and on start up I've seen some very old engels and none of witch have any rust if it worries you I would grab the bag for the outside as someone above mentioned have fun deciding :cool:

ProspectorPete said:
I had the older type Waeco (with LED thermo panel) that ran well for a few years, started getting a few issues with it though, one time while camping my brother didn't "click" the lid down properly before bed on a warm night and I woke to a new deep cycle battery with only 5 volts, the auto cut off on the fridge failed and cost me $400 for a new battery, I gave up on that fridge when I went camping 12 months ago on a 2 week trip, first day with the new 80watt solar panel on the fridge gave me grief, I used to run it on a 60watt panel with no issues, anyways, it turned out that the fridge decided to run continuously and drained my batteries quicker that the panel could charge so it ended up being an ice box esky for the rest of the trip which meant we couldn't do the off road bush camping we'd planned for the second week.
As soon as we got home I purchased the Engle fridge/freezer combo and haven't looked back, more efficient, better construction and the lid concept alone is worth the extra $.
I can't comment on the new Waeco fridges but I personally wouldn't buy anything other than an Engle now, simply so I've got the confidence it won't let me down when I'm 2hrs from the nearest civilization, that alone is peace of mind and in my opinion Engle have the best reputation for a reason, sometimes you've got to pay extra for a quality product.
In fishing they always say "buy the best gear that you can afford" and that saying is true with many things, as long as you know what to expect from the product you buy there should be no "surprises".

Yeah Pete, That's my way of thinking, I bought top Quality Solar Panels Each one is 100watts, and the Cables are Huge, on the outside they are about 12mm and when I bought them I asked them For the best Cables they sell and I got A Regulator,
Each panel Can put out up to 70ah per day and they are the monocrystalline Type and under the worst conditions they will put out 5ah per Day, I might by a small Genny as a Back up, I have also got my eye on a 500mm 300watt wind generator for those long stay Place's when the Gold or the Fishing is Good.

John

muzz said:
With 300 watts of solar panels you could run any large fridge with ease providing you had a good battery to store some power and enough sun through the day to shine on the solar panels but I myself have 2 engels and can't fault their operation plus low amperage draw when running and on start up I've seen some very old engels and none of witch have any rust if it worries you I would grab the bag for the outside as someone above mentioned have fun deciding :cool:

G'day Muzz,
Not including the 4x4 batteries, I'm going to use 3 X 180ah and make it so I can switch between them as in one bank of 2 and the single one As A Reserve so if the main pair get a bit low I can swap em over and fill up the other Two, Also I have the mother of all battery chargers that can start Trucks or Buses so if I get near Town Power I can Give them A Boost with that,

My 40l, 10 year old engel fridge has survived 3 trips around australia on 10's of thousands of k's of 4x4 tracks and corrugations, 40-50 degree days for 3 months in the pilbarra and most likely hotter in the van. It was still freezing beers if I didn't set the temp right. I've had to repair just about every mechanical part on 2 cars it's been mounted in. The only thing i haven't had to touch is the fridge. Cosmetically it's got dings and scratches throughout but so what it works. They're made of a quality steel as surface rust is where it stops. Still runs as efficiently as the day I bought it. I consider myself a good testament to Engels durability as I tend to have a knack of breaking just about anything that falls into my hands.

"You Get What You Pay For"

I paid $900 for my Engel 22 years ago and another couple of hundred for the cover, and wiring etc to the 4x4. So after 22 years it's cost me $50 a year or roughly a $1 a week.
That's good value I've never got out of my house fridge.

The question I would raise here is this; Is there anyone on this forum that has had a different brand of mobile 12v fridge than an Engel for 20 or more years that can attest to it's performance and durability?

I've seen several on here and many more on my 4x4 forum with 20 and even up to 30 years with Engels. I don't see too many other brands that old reviewed, and yes I know that some brands haven't been around that long. When they have I may look at them, but until then........

Avoid anything with a danfoss compressor as most danfoss stuff does not cope to well in the australian heat, including their domestic and industrial components (In my honest opinion). I worked at ayers rock resort for a year and we were constantly changing the danfoss stuff

ProspectorPete said:
You won't ever regret it John, peace of mind knowing they are proven and have the runs on the board.

Yes Pete, It's like seeing A Beer Commercial On TV On A Hot Afternoon, I want it That Bad I can Taste It. I'm Just waiting for Pay Day, and It's Mine. (I have had A Good few Months Buying Lots of Toys I have wanted For Many Years), So Next Job Truck and Camper, Got the Off Road Gear Sorted,

John

I've owned a Waeco CF80 for about four years with no issues.

On the upside:-

Reliability, good temperature controller, thick insulation, dual zone (fridge and freezer in one unit), well supported and spare parts readily available.

On the downside:-

Bloody heavy with or without food/drink, chews a bit of power because of the freezer capability and the cooling fans are a bit noisy.

When I first bought this I was going to buy the Engel model with the built in battery but no-one had this in stock so I decided on the Waeco because it was 1. in stock and 2. on special and 3. came with a free bag. It also has a light and solid carry handles.

I don't regret the decision to go with with the Waeco because the CF80 is a tough fridge that has always delivered cold food and drinks with the added benefit of being able to have ice cream and Super Doopers available for the spring and summer months. It'll run happily on an 85 watt fold-up solar panel and 100A/H battery for an indefinite period - I've used this setup over four days without running out of power though would have been happier with the reassurance of a larger solar panel which is on the wishlist.

My only recommendations to Waeco to make their larger fridges better would be to ditch the door catches in favour of a magnetic seal and offer these models with an LP gas option.

Waeco v's Engel is much the same as Holden v's Ford or Canon v's Nikon - all are good products from reputable companies, just choose what suits your own requirements, knowing that the manufacturer will be there if something was to go wrong.

They all are good, hence why I needed you Blokes to Rescue me, I had just got to the point where I was going to buy one of each :eek: Not A Good Sign, Aye

John

RadioGuru

I have a gas fridge in my van. It would be very difficult to make a portable fridge with a compressor to run on 12/240 and also ammonia absorption for the gas side of things.

Also, I have had 1 van with a 12volt fridge (Vitrifigo) and 2 vans with a 3 way gas job including my current van. Given the choice I would go compressor every time.

The only plus of a gas fridge is it runs on a bottle of gas and not 12 v when out bush. Other than that it is very difficult to keep at a constant temp. i.e.

On my last trip to Laanacoorie for the bash, I spent a few days in the bush. Some of the days were near 25 deg, but the nights were down to near zero. I had the control knob at setting 4 during the day to get the fridge temp to 3 deg. Down to setting 3 in the evening and before going to bed had to turn it off to stop it freezing the milk and beer etc.

It's trial and error until you get used to it, but a wireless temperature gauge is a must.

Conversely my Engel is set to 3.5 most of the time and runs at 2-3 deg. On a really hot day I might bump it a little and when the nights are down to near zero, I just turn it off. Even so I have a temp probe in it. (I only run it as a fridge, it's only 29lt)

Regardless of type or brand, a temp probe is an absolute must if you are concerned about food safety, and you should be.

FYI Industry settings for food safety are Fridge 2 to 4 deg C, Freezer is below -15 deg C.

Also, the temp can vary in a fridge, if set to say 4 deg in the centre of the fridge, doors on a vertical fridge can still be as high as 12-15 in hot weather, so instead of putting milk in the door, but on the bottom shelf at the back, it will last a lot longer. Put the butter in the door so you can spread it. In the case of chest fridges like the Engel or Waeco, up top near the lid is the warmer part, so put the butter cheese and jam etc near the top and the cold meats like ham at the bottom.

I will add I have a Waeco CFX50 and so far so good it has been run since getting it S/H and so far so good. I have not given it a real test in the bush yet, but hope to soon. One thing I do notice is the exhaust vents do get warm so wherever you put it make sure there is plenty of ventilation.

We run it at -2'c and drinks in there are just on icy if we leave them too long it will freeze over a bit too much, but we keep them rotated. The top shelf is great as it keeps things a few degrees warmer such as your marg or condiments etc... At this point I would recommend them and the Amp draw is very reasonable.

Best of luck I think they all do a pretty good job, just look at the shapes I like the Waeco a bit stubbier and higher suited me better, also 2lt bottles stand up no problems. That I would make sure is a must.