Which 2 Minelab detectors SDC with GPX or GPZ

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, just retired and me and the Mrs are gonna spend 6 months of the year chasing gold. We enjoy panning/sluicing as well but want to get back into detecting. Intend going everywhere including WA, so your thoughts on which detectors we should get would be appreciated.
I always like to buy quality so I'm leaning towards a GPZ for me and an SDC for the Mrs as I think they would compliment each other. Having said that, I also like the GPX4500 and 5000 as well. Wanna buy right the first time so your thoughts are appreciated, cheers.

G'day mate and welcome to the forum , plenty of knowledge here if you look for it.

I have just added a 4500 to the stable specifically for a trip West next season , have had an SDC for 2 years and will not part with it so for me it was a no brainer with the recent deals being offered on the 4500 offering excellent value. I also think the 4500 combined with the new NF Evo looks to be a great combination and seems to punch pretty deep and hope a 19 inch spoked is out before my trip. I like the idea of swinging the 4500 up to lunch and the SDC after lunch to break things up a bit and have all bases covered.

Having said all that if Minelab come up with a Christmas special GPZ / SDC and you have the cash , for your situation could be the go.

Good luck and cheers :D

Welcome Mr & Mrs Swain767
Also retired and had planned on detecting to ensure I was never bored (as if gardening, renos, wining, dining, cruising and fishing weren't enough) ... have loved every minute of my 1st 2+ years of 'taking it easy'.

As far as detector choices go you're spot on with the GPZ and SDC combo, excellent units, small learning curve and proven gold finders (I use SDC, GPX 4800 & Extrerra 705).

Finds have ranged from coins (705/beaches), small sub gram 'nuggets' (SDC) to 21gm real nugget (GOX4800) ..... any unit will find gold in the right conditions, the hardest part is finding the 1st and keeping a positive approach ..... let's face it virgin ground is almost non existent.

Good luck out there, keep us posted on your hunt for that elusive monster nugget.

Cheers T.

Remember .. never give up the next big one is there waiting for someone.

If you can get hold of some units for a play even only in the shops that would be a good idea.
For me personally the 7000 was a bit heavy. You will be doing a lot of walking and swinging so need to be comfortable.
Having said that the idea of being wireless on the 7000 is a bonus.
The right harness set up makes a big differance but try them all out in the shop holding the detector for 15 mins.

The sdc for a second unit is a no brainer i reckon. So compact, light and easy to use :D

I got the 4500 but that was because of my budget only. I have also used the sdc and 7000. They all have their place and will all find gold so good luck

I would go 5000 & SDC the new coils are magic, If your in a tight rocky area with growth you can choose suitable coil Like the EVO 14 ran it last week end around some tighter areas. My main coil is the 12 inch EVO and I have got some good gold at depth, then you can jump up to 17X13 its a weapon on a lot of different sizes and depth My husband swings the GPZ he has the JP set up with back pack but still can get a bit heavy,

We were at Gilberton last year there would be no way he could have got the Z in the areas we went, not to mention the side of hills and all the walking.

The GPX s certainly are versatile for all day swinging climbing hills and narrow gully's.

K-M

All good machines. GPZ and SDC are the ultimate combo for performance. Good advice to hold/try them but a properly set-up Pro Swing harness can make a big difference.

If you've never been detecting before, any detector is likely to cause a bit of discomfort, as swinging around a detector all day, swinging a pick, bending down to recover your target, then repeat x 20-40 times definitely gives you a good work out, so allow for some "conditioning" time.

For a bit of a performance run down, have a read of the article I wrote: www.minelab.com/anz/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/comparing-minelab-s-sdc-gpx-gpz-detectors

Cheers, Nenad

If you have the bucks then Z and SDC no risk ..................... best bang for buck at the moment would have to be a GPX4500 with an SDC. The 4500 may not have the bells and whistles of a 5000 but any thing it lacks the SDC will pick up in any case. ( In my limited humble opinion ie Fine gold settings etc that the 4500 doesn't have) The 4500 is nearly 2K cheaper than the 5000 so that's over half an SDC. Money no barrier I'd buy an SDC, GPX4500 and a Zeee ........................... want to add a bit of bling then grab a 19 " coil along with it.

Best deal to date that I've seen was the bundle deal for 6K ;)
Current price of a 45 being around $3500 that's makes for a damn cheap SDC ................... lets hope they bring the bundle back ? xmas is coming so who knows ? :D

1478421163_minelab_bendigo_gold_box.jpg

Latest posts