Where would you start to look for the yellow stuff in Australia ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everybody ,
I plan a trip to Australia this year.
I would like you guys to say :
first 1. Wich State (WA, NSW,VIC etc.)and
second 2.Wich kind of fossicking/prospect (metal detecting,dry washer,Pan etc.)

should look like

1.Queensland
2.metal detecting

if you have time for more, give a reason why

My plan is to count that all and make my trip to the election winnar :)

thanks for voting and greetings from Germany

3. When will the weather and time of year best suit my trip for what I plan to do.

I think This is a Question that you should also consider carefully Marcus as it will probably have an impact on the quality of your trip down (under bar).
(wunderbar) :)

silver said:
3. When will the weather and time of year best suit my trip for what I plan to do.

I think This is a Question that you should also consider carefully Marcus as it will probably have an impact on the quality of your trip down (under bar).
(wunderbar) :)

I consider this carefully, there are 4 different climate zones, and wet and dry saison,cold nights and more...
Also I like a little rough weather, makes me feel like a man^^
the plan is to stay for 6 months,so I try to get in touch with 2 seasons. Already busy with Visas etc...buy equipment, a quad/car.
I have already about 200 hours of collecting information on my neck :eek: because I want to make it !!my life trip!!
5 years of saving money for that.
Consideration I only got about the first state to travel to, thats why my ask about what you guys think.
I hope you just dont read this but give a statment like i ask for....
It will make a man happy and help him to make his dream come true.
cheers Marcus

and thanks for your post silver ;)

I would go WA as well with detector. Just seem to be so many more people getting results.over there then the eastern states. Best to head there in the next couple of months as the temperature will make the manlyest man a girly man in no time, plus it's counter productive to prospecting.

Ahhhh yes! when men were men, and woman were like what men are today.
Guten tag herr marcus.
Another thing ya may want to consider is the environment you wanna be near. for example, WA and her sparse desert region, or lush tropical rain forests of Far NQ..... just somthing to keep in mind.

Marcus, we have a magazine called Australian Gold Gem and Treasure over here, a good read. They advertise in the Magazine that you can purchase complete issues as PDF files that get Emailed to you same day as payment ($2.95 per issue. Minimum order 5 issues). The Email is [email protected] you could ask them for more details, it says you can pay by credit card. It has a lot of good stories in it. I know the December 2013 issue has Good gold stories in it, now you just need some help with another 4 good issues from some fellow readers on the gold trail (you can order issues back to September 2006). If you Google the magazine name you can look at the articles names for that particular month (lots of issues) to help decide on a purchase as well. I hope this is helpful.

I would start on my PC chair...researching
What I have discovered so far...I would go WA detecting if any location was a possibility.

There are many spots around Hill End Sofala I would like to attack Gold Rush Alaska style with heavy equipment and giant trommel. :)

Its gonna cost, but I would look to joining a tour with these guys - http://www.wagoldtours.com.au/ Kim and Linc know what they are doing and you will find gold with them. For the cost of coming to Australia with the express purpose to find gold then you are best putting yourself in the hands of people who a most likely to do it. Oh, and I would come in Winter unless you happen to like walking around in the sun where it is 50 deg and about 10 billion flies hitching a ride on your back...

The "Golden Triangle" ie "Tarnagulla - Moliagul - Dunolly" is a must do as this is where the Welcome Stranger nugget was found. My favorite place in the triangle is Waanyarra.

Just thought! - almost every goldfield has a German Gully or a Shicer Gully which is the English rendition of "Scheie" (ie Shit :eek:) and obviously meant to indicate a bad prospect, i reckon you could build a tour around finding and visiting them all :D a sort of pilgrimage.

casper

Hello Marcus,
West Australian goldfields has more ground than you could scratch in 6 months, have been detecting over 30 years and have only covered a small portion.
Between Norseman and Halls Creek a distance as the crow flies, 1650 kilometres there are many gold bearing areas.

#Caution# Only travel this land between April & November and be sure to have emergency & navigation equipment, reliable vehicle, 5 litres water/day -minimum, at least one weeks emergency food supply and a very sound knowledge of bush survival skills. (Not a year goes bye without someone perishing in our outback, usually but not always persons not familiar with conditions.)
Another important note: Gold prospecting is not an easy dollar, don't expect to drop in for 6 months and go home with a bulging bag of nuggets. It's not uncommon to go weeks without finding a single nugget, especially when looking for a new patch.

Research areas you are interested in visiting and then gain permission from lease holders.
You will require a Miners Right.
If visiting WA the below link covers Tengraph and within the site you can search for most of the requirements.
http://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/3996.aspx

Nightjar said:
Hello Marcus,
West Australian goldfields has more ground than you could scratch in 6 months, have been detecting over 30 years and have only covered a small portion.
Between Norseman and Halls Creek a distance as the crow flies, 1650 kilometres there are many gold bearing areas.

#Caution# Only travel this land between April & November and be sure to have emergency & navigation equipment, reliable vehicle, 5 litres water/day -minimum, at least one weeks emergency food supply and a very sound knowledge of bush survival skills. (Not a year goes bye without someone perishing in our outback, usually but not always persons not familiar with conditions.)
Another important note: Gold prospecting is not an easy dollar, don't expect to drop in for 6 months and go home with a bulging bag of nuggets. It's not uncommon to go weeks without finding a single nugget, especially when looking for a new patch.

Research areas you are interested in visiting and then gain permission from lease holders.
You will require a Miners Right.
If visiting WA the below link covers Tengraph and within the site you can search for most of the requirements.
http://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/3996.aspx

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s122/nightjar3/NorsemanHallsCreek.jpg

Hey thanks, that show me that you care about people ;)
I already care about that stuff, and i make a tengraph account 2 month ago. ;) All stuff i nearly searched out, i only cannot decide between a sattelite phone, or just a GPS emergency device.
I can expect nothing, but i look carefully on information provided by gov, just people, topo and mineral maps, old mining sides etc. that should lead to some findings. But I know gold is where you find it^^.
Tenraph is really difficult for a native german, i got some english skills , but puh thats a hard one. I scare to put the wrong button, and need to pay a huge fee for a lease/claim.
when it comes the time that i visit your amazing country i will ask for help by a native.
Also I will make a guided gold trip in first line, before I set up my trip to the outback.I have some skills from the german army, but more like 2 months in a cold climate, what is controverse to heat :eek:

I want to go the outback deep in to maximise my chanches.Just before native titled land.
My plan ist planned carefully what is about vehicle, extra tires, food water and fuel. But still I know that I have to listen (and learn) to skilled hunters.

Thats why I subscribed to this forum. To receive knowledge and hopefully get in touch with people that can support me with paper things like the mining department when I show up :D

One more time thank you Nightjar from a (not so naive) newbie :D

P.S.: Great Photobucket album !

Latest posts