What's your favourite Coil?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Whats your favourite Coil??
I know there suited for different terrain, ground, growth on the ground
DD and mono
The Question is more for your favourite All Round Coil

For me its the 11" DD ;)
In saying that anyone with an 8 inch DD who wants to sell it
please let me know :)

My favorite alrounder is the standard 11"mono. It's deadly on small stuff, I have detected nuggets down to .05g with it which is small enough for me. And have detected 10g nuggets down to 500mm deep so great depth also on medium ones. A 2oz nugget was loud and clear at 600mm in mineralized ground too.
I have been using a 18" Minelab mono a lot lately and have found it better on the 1-3g nuggets at about 400mm deep in hot ground where the 11" was struggling to pick them up. It also gives better depth on the big critters.

DD

I run a 2200. 14" DD generally and an 18" DD, which in my opinion is the best for newer deeper ground.

At the moment my favourite coil is the 12x7" I find it's great for poking in and around the grass tussocks and in under bushes etc. I've picked up small stuff down to 0.05grms and it gets reasonable depth as well on the bigger stuff. Only complaint with it is that on water saturated ground the hot rocks can be a real nuisance as well as the charcoal.
Pete

The old Coiltek 14" round both in a DD and Mono would be my all time favorite coil. Along with the 15" all terrain Vlf coils.

Now It's the Nuggetfinder 17"x11".

My favourite coil is the 5" x 8" DD that ships with the AT Gold, though that might change soon as I'm about to buy a NEL Hunter 12.5" x 8.5" DD.

What's your favourite coil?

Patch hunting: Nugget Finder 12" x 9" mono. Just got one and very impressed. Tested well and performed well in patch hunting. It seems to have more grunt and a sharper response.
Deep hunting. Still also have a lot of time for the older 18" DD round on deep hunting. (Coiltek)
Small bits on mullock heaps/reef dumps: 6" mono. Deadly piece of kit. (Coiltek)

All running on a 4500.

18" NFA round for prospecting and 14" NFA round as my general coil.

My favourites are nf14/7 for poking around
And nf16 round for prospecting but the 14 round is under estimated a lot
The 16 picks up what the 14/7 misses and vice versa :)

Since moving from a SD2100 to a GPX4500 I am currently using an 8 inch mono, with it's enhanced mode the 4500 finds gold bits that are very small.
I am currently searching an area known for small gold so I have my Minelab set up for small gold.
I did get a very faint signal recently that was very 'wobbly'. Scraping off the top two inches of soil firmed up the signal and after digging down a good 10 inches I dug out a lovely 7 gram piece, no quartz just a bit of ironstone attached. (This is currently soaking in 'brickies acid' and should clean up a treat).

Ts.

On the 5K [ which the missus hogs ] I like the NF 12" mono
On the 2200 the 11" DD
On the Infinium was the 14" DD
No Choice on the Deepseeker.

Hi all,

I run a 16" round coiltek mono for general patch hunting, you can cover a fair bit of ground at a steady pace and feel confident that if you swing over a target you'll hear it. Mine rarely comes off :):)

I also like the standard coil in mono, for poking around mullock heaps, heavy scrub, spinifex, and creek banks and beds.

I"ve been thinking about grabbing a 12" nuggett finder mono next time I'm in town, for cleaning up areas/patches thouroghly. Any advice on these would be appreciated

Jim & Kerrie

Id say you have the plan right there :)
Im about to go 8" mono for less mineralised areas
and for mullocks. :)
The 11" has been deadly so far so if it aint broke,
dont fix it rite :)

Hi Jim,

while I love the NFA 12" round, there is not a great deal of difference over the standard ML 11" commander mono to really warrant having both IMHO.

I'd instead concider going up to the NFA 14" round or the NFA 17" x 11" elliptical

Cheers,
Steve