What's Your Favorite Tent?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nuggetino said:
Billy said:
Colmaca said:
condor22 said:
called a swag :lol:

Like sleeping in a coffin :D

They can feel like that!
Swags kept us alive in this tarp house we made over a June long weekend in the Orange (N.S.W.) area.
Over 3 inches of rain and a rather cold Southerly wind!
Love my swag!! :)
Bit sunny but cold in first picture!

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1111/1406371842_tarp_camp_3.jpg
Wet and cold outside in second pic!

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1111/1406371975_tarp_camp_1.jpg

Now that's glamping! Seriously though that's an awesome tarp tent. I could see myself living in one of those a few weeks.

Ha ha cheers nuggetino! Was born out of necessity but did the job and kept four of us quite dry on a very ordinary (weatherwise) long weekend.
I would have been happy to stay alot longer than 3 days but that stupid thing called work got in the way!
Tarp camps are the best I reckon, you can adapt them to suit the conditions and easy to pack up /dry etc.
Cheers,
Billy.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
Coleman instant up 4 man tent. Upgrading soon to the 6 man just because there awsum!

Another vote for the 4 person Coleman Instant Tent.

Ripper fly which only goes part way down the side of the tent, and is able to be pulled well clear but still protecting windows from rain. The roof of the tent proper, has a large vent, and the fly covers this with about 4 inches clearance.
All this means that in warmer climates where rain is also a possibility, you can leave your windows open and you get great ventilation.
The door is also well protected on the sides by the fly, and this area provides a good spot to leave you boots.
The roof vent can't be closed, so it's probably not the tent for real cold climates unless you can rug up.
The mesh in the doors and windows is that super fine, midgy proof stuff. Zips are big and tough.
If you Google "Coleman Instant Tent" and click on images, there's a picture of one in a Rays Outdoors ad. about 4th or 5th along, and no, I don't get commission.
They rate them as a 4 person, but they are only 2.4m x 2.4 m. Realistically, 2 people and a bit of gear is a better limit. I think I paid $225 or so for mine about 12 mths. ago.

Good luck.
Cheers, Ron.

I've had 3 types of tents, the cabin, tourer and rv5 oz tent. I don't know what my next tent will be, I like the Black Wolf 300 and the jet tent f-30x but the price is a bit out of my reach. I like cabin tents because of their vertical walls but they have too many poles. Tourer tents have the sloping walls which can be a pain. The rv5 oztent with it's steep sloping roof and back had it drawbacks but the lack of height wasn't a problem as I'm a short a$#&* anyway. I could get my bunk in facing front to back as well as my small table and chair. The cloths bag and tucker box went down the back. The one problem I found with the oztent is the midgey mesh they use, it makes the tent hot even with the fly.
So what's my next tent?, don't know, may get one custom made but until then I'll camp in the back of the ute.
:) Mick

Wolfau said:
condor22 said:
mmm, Pull up with the caravan,
lock the car,
unlock the van,
pull a beer out of the fridge,
sit down on the lounge,
open the venetian blind,

and sit there watching the guys with tents in the rain putting them up. :p

Doesn't take much time, but there's no rush...............

That can't be right..the guys with tents were
The ones that over took you on the highway
And got to the spot first and as they finished
Pitching their tent Condor arrives handing out
Beers. The guys with the tents would then comment
Gee what took you... :D :D :D

Yeah, but when the wind's a blowin, the tent's a flappin, the water's a flowin and the ground sheet's a leakin, who ya gunna call,,,, yep, the guy with the van,,,lol.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

RottenRon said:
Wolfau said:
condor22 said:
lock the car,
unlock the van,
sit down on the lounge,
open the venetian blind,

Yeah, but when the wind's a blowin, the tent's a flappin, the water's a flowin and the ground sheet's a leakin, who ya gunna call,,,, yep, the guy with the van,,,lol.

You pitch the tent on top of a small hill. Make sure the point of the hill is as wide as your tent.

As it rains the water will run off on all sides.. :D 8) :D

Wolfau said:
RottenRon said:
Wolfau said:
condor22 said:
lock the car,
unlock the van,
sit down on the lounge,
open the venetian blind,

You pitch the tent on top of a small hill. Make sure the point of the hill is as wide as your tent.

Till you get blown off the hill,,,,lol.

RottenRon said:
Wolfau said:
RottenRon said:
Wolfau said:
condor22 said:
lock the car,
unlock the van,
sit down on the lounge,
open the venetian blind,

Till you get blown off the hill,,,,lol.

In that case we will have to raid the van, kick the van owner out and while we are at it steal his beer 8) 8)

After spending two and a half weeks in my tent at Cloncurry I noticed the floor had wear spots from being on the rough ground... so much for heavy duty flooring! When next used I fixed this problem by spreading a KMart rubber backed picnic blanket down and putting the tent over that. Small pebbles, sticks and tough grass are no longer a problem. Only wish I had thought of it earlier.

Under flooring is a must with any sort of tent, usually the goldfields anywhere are pretty rough.
When we set up the camper trailer we always rake the area. For an overnighter we use a piece of heavy duty shadecloth folded in half.
For longer stays out come the rubber mats.

1406770291_tl1289.jpg

A good under floor and a good fly are essential. The rv5 oz tents fly can be made better by adding shed insulation underneath, helps keeps things cooler. A tarp over the top for longer stays will protect the tent from tree sap, bird poop ect. The Diamantina is a great tent, I was looking at the outrigger extended.

Redfin said:
Under flooring is a must with any sort of tent, usually the goldfields anywhere are pretty rough.
When we set up the camper trailer we always rake the area. For an overnighter we use a piece of heavy duty shadecloth folded in half.
For longer stays out come the rubber mats.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/232/1406770291_tl1289.jpg

Hey Redfin are those rubber mats any good I have been looking at getting something like that for under the swag?

You get them anywhere, Bunnings, BCF, Ray Outdors, Masters etc.
usually abouy $7 for a pack of four.
They are 500 x 500.

axeman said:
I've had 3 types of tents, the cabin, tourer and rv5 oz tent. I don't know what my next tent will be, I like the Black Wolf 300 and the jet tent f-30x but the price is a bit out of my reach. I like cabin tents because of their vertical walls but they have too many poles. Tourer tents have the sloping walls which can be a pain. The rv5 oztent with it's steep sloping roof and back had it drawbacks but the lack of height wasn't a problem as I'm a short a$#&* anyway. I could get my bunk in facing front to back as well as my small table and chair. The cloths bag and tucker box went down the back. The one problem I found with the oztent is the midgey mesh they use, it makes the tent hot even with the fly.
So what's my next tent?, don't know, may get one custom made but until then I'll camp in the back of the ute.

Great info axeman! I am in the same boat re: next tent to get. Rooftop, tourer etc, the back of the ute works for me too! :cool:

1406798195_river_ute_camp_1.jpg

1406798222_river_ute_camp_3.jpg

Packed up an compact! (Was only a 2 nighter!) limited only by imagination. :D

1406798402_river_ute_camp_4.jpg

Latest posts