What's Your Favorite Tent?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dogmatic said:
Great Photo Ash. Did you take it?

Oz tent is the best tent I have ever had. Did a month travelling western NSW , QLD, NT and finaly the Simpson Desert. Easy to set up and put away. Only problem I have with it is it's sixe when packed up. If you don't have a roof rack I suspect you are not supposed to have an Oz Tent, they won't fit in a boot or in the car.
Cheers! Yeah it's in the Macleay valley. :)
Yeah I agree, they are a long package, this one is a 2mtr bundle.

All I've got left of my rv5 oz tent is the screen room, fly and a frame. the tent itself fell to bits, didn't like standing for 6 months in the one spot. I use a tent at work because it's almost impossible to get a caravan into these places. I've tried a couple of other brands but with no success. The only thing is to get a tent custom made out of heavy duty canvas. The oz tent range of products are a great bit of gear but not for what i put them through. In 6 months the tent went through high winds, heavy frosts a wild storm or 2, the 2013 floods (water came within a couple of hundred meters of the tent), bloody hot days and this was only one camp. Got 2 years all up out of it.
:) Mick

Mick you could set up a business tent testing. You could have a few of us running around the traps checking out the tents and giving them a true rating.
Jack

I had a tourer tent before the oztent it to was a great tent but the floor was made of a woven plastic like the elcheapo traps and it went rotten. Maybe if I had something between the floor and the ground may have prolonged it's life a bit, the walls and top of the tent were still good but it would have cost more than it was worth to put another floor in it.
The oztent on the other hand has a brilliant heavy duty tub floor and it was the roof that let go. I noticed a small hole in the roof when I unpacked it to air it out and went to wipe around it and my hand went straight through it, it was brittle. The sides ain't to bad. I went to wipe the mesh window and it fell to bits as well.
If I could combine the oztent tub floor into the tourer I would have a great tent.
I'm seriously thinking about buying a Diamentina brand tent next, not sure if it'll be a cabin or tourer style yet.

Just bought a coleman 2.4x2.4 for $239.

Thanks for the tips and replies.

Purchase was made at BCF was on special
Same as Rays.

The only issue very easy to take out of bag
Harder to put in.

You will get the feel for it Wolf ours has served us well and we sold it second hand to upgrade to the larger model, once packed on the ground you sort of roll it into a bundle and stuff one end first.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
You will get the feel for it Wolf ours has served us well and we sold it second hand to upgrade to the larger model, once packed on the ground you sort of roll it into a bundle and stuff one end first.

Its only gonna be for me so its plenty.

Its a nice tent and for $239 on special could not
Say no to it.

Thanks Again.

I bought myself a mesh only tent, it keeps the bugs out and I sleep under a tarp.
I can see the stars and wildlife and I get plenty of fresh air.
I mainly camper in the Ballarat region and that's also in the middle of winter.
I love it.
Cheers Steve :D

Wolfau - I've got a Black Wolf Turbo Lite, the 3 room one. It is fantastic. Extremely fast to put up. That's where it ends....

Extremely heavy and bulky
I had to use a cup to remove the water after it rained (granted we had over 100mm overnight... )
Getting it back into the storage bag is ridiculously difficult - due to it being so bulky and the bag really should have been oversized with compression straps.

All I would do if you are serious about buying one is ask to set it up and pack it away, they are very expensive to find out later that you don't want to use it because its too hard.

I'm currently looking to build a trailer and put a roof top tent on it. Gives me more trailer versatility than a 'proper' camper trailer and my kids are old enough now to put up a 4 man dome tent themselves mostly unassisted.

Available from any good tip. Take old truckies canvas (cut to size) - insert natures pre-cut branches (also available at Ikea), wack down swag - hey presto - tent.

1427494438_captureee.png

I plan on getting a popup avan latter where
I plan to make some changes like adding a
shower and has some luxuries hence why
I did not buy a more expensive tent.

Not interested in a trailer tent. Popup
Avans sell from around the $7k mark
Depending on age and you have a
Little security.

Might just sleep in the 4x4 and use the tent
To shower and change and maybe cook a
Meal.

Life has challenged me enough having to
Deal with a number of issues i would not
Wish upon any enemies hence roughing
It out is out of the question.

We all deserve a little luxury I would think ;)

Time to look for the harder to find gold nuggets.

Ben78 said:
Wolfau - I've got a Black Wolf Turbo Lite, the 3 room one. It is fantastic. Extremely fast to put up. That's where it ends....

Extremely heavy and bulky
I had to use a cup to remove the water after it rained (granted we had over 100mm overnight... )
Getting it back into the storage bag is ridiculously difficult - due to it being so bulky and the bag really should have been oversized with compression straps.

All I would do if you are serious about buying one is ask to set it up and pack it away, they are very expensive to find out later that you don't want to use it because its too hard.

I'm currently looking to build a trailer and put a roof top tent on it. Gives me more trailer versatility than a 'proper' camper trailer and my kids are old enough now to put up a 4 man dome tent themselves mostly unassisted.

Ben kulkulyne have some nice tents for trailers.

In my travels once the "A Van" club came into the campsite, about 25 of them, all sorts of models new and old.
They are nice and compact and won't have any trouble on our tracks [width wise]here in Vic.

Redfin said:
In my travels once the "A Van" club came into the campsite, about 25 of them, all sorts of models new and old.
They are nice and compact and won't have any trouble on our tracks [width wise]here in Vic.

Toyally agree Redfin. It took me a while to fiigure out the
Perfect solution. You have pop tops, trailer tents then
You have the Avan weighing in less than 700kgs.

The older models have too many seats so with a bit of
Weekend work you can easilly add a shower. Most tracks
In the GT are solid and wide as long as you don't go off
Onto a narrow 4x4 track.

Hope your feeling better and get well soon.

Wolfau said:
I plan on getting a popup avan latter where
I plan to make some changes like adding a
shower and has some luxuries hence why
I did not buy a more expensive tent.

Not interested in a trailer tent. Popup
Avans sell from around the $7k mark
Depending on age and you have a
Little security.

Might just sleep in the 4x4 and use the tent
To shower and change and maybe cook a
Meal.

Life has challenged me enough having to
Deal with a number of issues i would not
Wish upon any enemies hence roughing
It out is out of the question.

We all deserve a little luxury I would think ;)

Time to look for the harder to find gold nuggets.

Yep, I plan on selling my enclosed camper and buy a poptop/caravan. I like to keep off the ground- i have the following and has a double foam mattress in it
1427507848_20130809_115506.jpg

the Bourke and Wills swags are by far my favourite because they are quick and easy to put up and take down. you can roll it up with the mattress and sleeping bag still inside. they are also extremely warm, tough and water proof.

axeman said:
All I've got left of my rv5 oz tent is the screen room, fly and a frame. the tent itself fell to bits, didn't like standing for 6 months in the one spot. I use a tent at work because it's almost impossible to get a caravan into these places. I've tried a couple of other brands but with no success. The only thing is to get a tent custom made out of heavy duty canvas. The oz tent range of products are a great bit of gear but not for what i put them through. In 6 months the tent went through high winds, heavy frosts a wild storm or 2, the 2013 floods (water came within a couple of hundred meters of the tent), bloody hot days and this was only one camp. Got 2 years all up out of it.

Have a look 3/4 of the page down, they setup a tent on an island for 6 months and all was fine, they also use these for the eco tourist tents that are permanently setup so could be worth looking into for your use ?

http://www.diamantina.net.au/welcome/page15.php

From the website -

To test the quality of these tents, we supplied a Campmor Safari Hennie tent to the Management of Cockatoo Island Camping Ground in Sydney Harbour. Cockatoo Island is a Federal government project, offering the people of Sydney the opportunity to hire camping gear and camp with friends and family on Cockatoo Island right in the middle of Sydney Harbour, the most beautiful harbour in the world. With easy access via Sydney Ferries, state of the art facilities, a cafe, and beautiful views, Cockatoo Island offers a unique camping experience for those wanting to try camping.

This Safari Hennie tent was set up and left on display permanently for 6 months on the Island, enduring heat, wind and rain conditions. After 6 months the Campmor Safari Hennie still looked in as new condition, with no signs of fading, or wear and tear. The solid spring steel frame withstood high wind conditions, with very little movement, rattles or noise.

Most tents available in Australia are designed for holiday or temporary accommodation and are not designed for this kind of permanent exposure. Therefore we were very impressed with the overall performance of the Campmor Safari Hennie. This test demonstrates the quality of the Campmor Canvas Dome tents, their superior duability and life expectancy, and their suitability to the harsh Australian climate.

Conclusion - The Campmor tent range is made using some of the best quality materials available in the world and therefore are suitable for extended or repeat usage, and for those who value real quality. They suit harsh climate conditions such as strong winds, extended exposure to heat and heavy rains. These tents experience less condensation and cooler internal temperatures than some alternatives, as the canvas has a high cotton content allowing for air flow and heat transfer, making them comfortable for Australian summer conditions.

There are many other tents avaialble that suit specific purposes such as light-weight and compact hiking tents, weekend dome tents, quick set up or pop up tents for overnight touring, and extra large family size tents for family holidays. Please seek the appopriate advice on the right tent for your specific needs before making your selection.

Latest posts