Whats the Law on aboriginal artifacts

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
casper said:
The local Aboriginal Cultural Centre is often also a "Keeping Place" and they would welcome donated items such as axes.

casper

I'd give it to them But don't know if I'd be in trouble for taking it .

In relation to stone tools, it seems pretty clear to me. This is an excerpt from NSW Environment & Heritage site, QLD is similarly worded. I guess it is ultimately down to govt archaeologists and local aboriginal groups to decide whether an item has any real relevance to a particular site. I have been on site clearances before where such items havd been found, but have found to hold no relevance to the immediate area, but as a singular object, still hold cultural importance.

Aboriginal objects

Aboriginal objects are physical evidence of the use of an area by Aboriginal people. They can also be referred to as 'Aboriginal sites', 'relics' or 'cultural material'.

Aboriginal objects include:

- physical objects, such as stone tools, Aboriginal-built fences and stockyards, scarred trees and the remains of fringe camps

- material deposited on the land, such as middens

- the ancestral remains of Aboriginal people.

Handicrafts made by Aboriginal people for sale arenot'Aboriginal objects' under theNational Parks and Wildlife Act 1974 (NPW Act).

Known Aboriginal objects and sites are recorded on OEH'sAboriginal Heritage Information Management System (AHIMS).

If you find an object,you should report it to us.

Stone tools: See how tools were made by grinding or flaking stone, and learn how to look for signs of Aboriginal toolmaking in the bush.

Aboriginal scarred trees: Thousands of surviving trees in NSW bear scars resulting from removal of bark or wood by Aboriginal people in the past for the manufacture of canoes, shields and other artefacts. These scarred trees are one of the most common yet least understood items of Aboriginal heritage

Rock art: Rock art is amongst the oldest surviving human art forms. There are a number of different styles of rock art used across NSW, both of paintings and drawings and rock engravings.

Protection

The primary piece of legislation which protects Aboriginal cultural heritage in NSW is theNational Parks and Wildlife Act 1974 (NPW Act). Under the NPW Act it is an offence to harm (destroy, deface, or damage) or desecrate an Aboriginal object or Aboriginal place, or in relation to an object, move the object from the land on which is has been situated.

Finding Aboriginal artefacts

Penalties exist for anyone who knowingly or blatantly takes or collects Aboriginal artefacts.. If you find an Aboriginal artefact, you mustleave it where it is and report the artefact and its location to the Office of Environment & Heritage. Even if you believe the artefact is in danger of being damaged the best thing to do leave it alone and report it immediately.If you do mistakenly take an artefact or find yourself in possession of one, pleasereturn it toyour local Office of Environment & Heritage office.

Ozjono said:
Greglz86 said:
Dont do it. Its bad luck.
Haha LOL bad luck that's funny
:lol:

My old man used to tell me all sorts of stuff from a young age.
If a willy wagtail is hanging around bad news is on its way.
Taking things from caves is bad luck.
Taking from the deceased is bad luck.
Bloody doing anything fun seems to be bad luck. :rolleyes:

Hoping to shead some light into the subject.

https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/A/AborCultHA03.pdf
section 11 through 12 discuss understanding significant aboriginal areas
section 25 clearly states A person must not excavate, relocate or take away Aboriginal cultural heritage
section 26 A person must not have in the persons possession an object that is Aboriginal cultural heritage

in short you can be hit with 2000 penalty points for removing and having these items

further i have a pdf here from the qld museum which is itself a government entity
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/doc/member-docs/357/1412725762_fact-sheet-stone-artefacts1.pdf
"If you find stone artifacts it is essential that you leave them in their original position."

I wanted to share a video with you which will hopefully shed some light on these issues.
if you'd like more info http://australianmuseum.net.au/movie/Introduction-Woppaburra-history/

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/FnrZ4vrDyF4[/video]

I've also contacted an elder asking if they could please share with us their opinions on these finds as well as items that have been given away as a gift as I know the majority of us want to do the right thing.

I'm suprised at some of the comments here, in a good way. Back in 2003 i was digging around a local lake in the grampians area and i came across some really nice Aboriginal stone relics, i put them in the car and didnt think about them for quite a while. I thought they were good luck charms or something... Anyway, over the next 3 years i did alot of travelling and had more than my fair share of bad luck. I met an Aboriginal fella one night and we talked about the stone relics. He told me that they had to go back were i found them and that if i did respect them i would be rewarded... I did return them when i hit rock bottom with my bad luck and everything changed overnight. not only that, i was turning over a new vegie patch a few years later and to my suprise was a greenstone axehead and an old Aboriginal grinding stone right were i was gunna plant my tomatoes.

Take from that what you will, but its 100% truth, my stance is to leave cultural artifacts were they are found. Its just about respect. I wouldnt want someone taking bits of me when im gone.

Latest posts