Whats the earliest coin in your area?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tassie Daz

Darryl Rowley
Reaction score
My area is the Copper Triangle of South Australia and today I pulled my earliest coin. I decided to go to Moonta where Copper was coming out of the ground around the 1860's so you'd expect to see coins from the era. Well I didn't expose a coin as early as that, but today I found my earliest coin - a Britainia Penny from 1907. Its not in really good nick - but what amazed me was that it was in a spot where hundreds of people have walked over it over all this time and it was only 2" down. How could it not have been kicked out of the ground at some stage. Anyway today it saw the light of day. Fantastic. [I was going to take a pick but its almost unidentifiable]
Anyway I still want to Jag a sov, or a crown, or a cartwheel penny. Wish me luck.

My oldest is an 1854 threepence. It was also very shallow. Less than 2 inches. It was very close to a small tree and pretty beat up. My guess is that it was dug up during tree planting.

a coin minted during the Ch'ien Lung dynasty, minted in Manchu Yuwan Provence by the Board of Public Works between 1736 and 1795

1430130479_image.jpg

1942 three-pence I believe on the surface. Found about 5 coins on the surface there. There was an old pickers quarter there.

1908 Threepence on the Yeppoon beach, I was just about to walk off the beach still had machine on and it chirped.
I kicked about an inch of sand out of the way and there it was.

Probably stood on it 30 times in the past LOL

I found a 1817 shilling the other day in the same area that I found a 1861 halfpenny about 25 years ago....it is worn a fair bit on the reverse side. It was sitting just under the surface layer of dirt...got it with the xterra 305

Latest posts