What to do on a rainy day?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldpick

Chris Johnson
Reaction score
Being bored and homebound from detecting due to inclement weather, the missus and I decide to empty out a large jar of small change that had been sitting on the microwave for a few years now. Expecting to find boring old run of the mill decimal coin, I was surprised to see how many foreign coins slip through the net, plus a decent nunber of commemorative coins as well.

This is what we ended up with, lots of commemorative 50 & 20c pieces, 1 x 2Euro (2000), 2 x 1Euro (2002), 1x 1973 10 New Pence, 1 x 1995 Singaporian 50c, 1 x 1982 NZ 5c, 1 x 1997 Malaysian 10 Sen, 1 x 1987 Canadian 10c, and the best of the lot, a beautiful 1957 English sixpence. :)

Whilst nothing of huge value, some good finds to add to the collection, pity the UK sixpence is copper/nickel vs the Oz silver coin.

1401525346_img_20140531_172631.jpg

1401525369_img_20140531_180037.jpg

1401525392_img_20140531_180100.jpg

Interesting indeed!
What you need is a water proof detector ;)
I've got the Garrett AT Pro International, it loves the rain :p
There forecasting rain tomorrow but I don't care, still going out!

SF

Yep its almost as bad as "what to do if you live in the city and cant go prospecting"....spent some time air testing nuggets on my Exterra 70 with 6 inch dd coil. In prospecting mode 10cm on a half gram nugget and 13cm on a .87 gram nugget. A little bit better than I expected however in real conditions I wouldn't be able to use that setting. 15 minutes of "going off on anything" would have me chucking the detector in the bush!

i tend to go for a walk along the creeks and see what their doing :)
helps to pick a dig spot when it drops.
and i earmarked 3 likely spots to have a go at in the next week. :)

I got drenched out in the rain but the ol Garrett did well, this is what I got:

8 x 1/2 Pennies, 14 x Pennies, 2 x 3 Pence and 2 x 6 Pence :)

SF

Silver_Fox said:
I got drenched out in the rain but the ol Garrett did well, this is what I got:

8 x 1/2 Pennies, 14 x Pennies, 2 x 3 Pence and 2 x 6 Pence :)

SF

Hi SF - you can't just tell us ya gotta show us! ;)

Wow that is a lot of copper! And some silver to boot - nice work!

Tell me - do you get as disappointed as we do when we get a large penny or half penny? When we find them on the beach they are toast - and only worth scrap value of copper which is about $2 a kilo ... What do you do with them? I call them brown buggers because they sound off like a banchee and when I retrieve it ... Well ... You can't win them all :lol:

Coins tend to come out of the ground in good decent condition here in Canberra. I was lucky the other week where I pulled out a rare 1946 Penny in very good condition. I did however get 2 really bad ones last week that had growths all over them like they had Leprosy or something!
I put the coins into my collection, the doubles I just have them in Jars. This year I decided to created a spreadsheet with a list of all my pre-decimal finds. I'm curious on what I will get for year, so far I have 217 copper and 69 silvers :p

SF

some interesting reading here on what to do on a rainy day....I normally sit inside and curse the rain gods...lol

Latest posts