What Size Is Your Main Gold Detecting Coil Size

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Just wondering what is the size of the coil you use
The most when gold detecting? And is it a Mono
Or DD?

Just curious to see what you guys are using.

Thanks in advance.

I have a 5000 and the following coils.

Minelab Commander - 8" & 11" monos. Coiltek 18" x 12" mono. Minelab 11" & 15" x 12" DDs and the Nugget finder 12" x 7" mono.

They all have their uses depending on what, but I tend to use the Nugget Finder most.

On my 4500 I normally use a Nugget Finder 14 x 9 mono, I also have the Minelab 11 inch DD, a Coiltek 10 x 5 mono Joey Coil and a P &M Coils 18 x 6 Nuggeteer mono patchfinder.

Regards

Turps123

Hi Wolfau, I don't have a main coil as such, I determine what coil I should used based on my knowledge of the area,the ground type and gold size/depth I am detecting. Once I have done the ground over with one sized coil (finding gold), I will then change coil size to hunt for the other extremes in depth and size.

Cheers

Same boat as everyone else. Just depends where I'm detecting. One thing I can say is it's a DD coil most of the time. Currently the 17x11 coiltek DD is the coil I'm using for open ground in severely mineralized WA goldfields. I guess it's my main coil for the moment. If I find a patch though you can be sure every coil in the arsenal will be swinging over it.

I have taken quite a shine to the 12" NF mono running full-time for general searching on my 4500. Why? gotten older, coil is a hell of a lot lighter and I have found that it gets me a start most times. Then, as the boys have stated above, be prepared for some smaller/bigger patch clearing coils. If I hit a dry spell, I revisit my research and do some detailed analysis of the soils, topo, geo etc. Ground too deep for a 12"? Duffer spot? etc etc. I have found the joey coil is great fun on mullock heaps - super duper small gold finder guaranteed. The issue I have with small coils on the 4500 on mullock? The whole set-up gets out of balance and quite frankly can be a bit of a strain. To test this wack on a joey and walk up and down and around mullock heaps for a couple of days. Soon gets you back patch hunting pronto. ;)

8" commander mono was my primary on 5000, loved that thing, very sensitive to tiny gold.

more often than not i hear 14" NF from blokes who i'd consider of authority. i dont own one but think i'll add it to my arsenal. mostly around Ballarat lately ive been running 14" commander DD if i know i'm in shallow ground its 8 " dd the mono's chirp like crazy around here too much red rock and basalt and plenty of burn-offs each yer.

G0lddigg@ said:
more often than not i hear 14" NF from blokes who i'd consider of authority. i dont own one but think i'll add it to my arsenal. mostly around Ballarat lately ive been running 14" commander DD if i know i'm in shallow ground its 8 " dd the mono's chirp like crazy around here too much red rock and basalt and plenty of burn-offs each yer.

The 14" NF is an awesome coil.

Its very quiet on my GP.

What I use on the GPX 5000 is the minelab commander 11" round mono and 15x12 mono, nuggetfinder 14" round and 18" round mono. My favorite coil out of this lot is the minelab commander 11" round mono.

These are some manufacturers and dealers links with info available. The caveat is that these are manufacturers/dealers sites however I have found the info a very useful teaching aid. There are lots of others. Coil size greatly depends on the detector, your level of experience, hearing (yes hearing) levels, use of boosters/amp, soil type and depth, size and spread of gold historically recorded or suspected, headphones/speakers etc etc. If possible, borrow or hire a number of coils and test them. Myself and a couple of friends have developed a test pit site for this very reason - test, test, test. Series of holes dug horizontally into a bank to simulate various levels. Using aluminium blocks of various sizes and shapes pushed into holes gives a good testing of a detector and coils abilities. Many detectors settings have been developed by prospectors at these sites around the GT and its a hell of a lot better than air testing.

Minelab: http://www.minelab.com/gold-mining/detectors/coil-comparison-charts

Coil comparisons with some visual and audio aids: http://www.gold-prospecting-wa.com/metal-detector-coils.html

Coiltek: http://www.coiltekmanufacturing.com.au/

Latest posts