WHAT IS IT ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.... Most likely there is already a home for this topic but I couldn't find it.. Please forgive..
Curious to find out what I have here... A large jar of this was given to me.
Mirror finish
Layering
Brittle
Seems to turn a Goldy colour after exposure to the air..
Very light..
I'm in central NSW, in Nyngan. We have a few mines around us here.. I'm possibly jumping to conclusions here but I'm sort of hoping its scandium.. We have the Nyngan Scandium Project starting up at any time.. Hoping I've come across a sample jar.. How can I test it. We apparently have one of the purist ribbons of scandium here.. Or am I dreaming.. Is it Pyrite.. HELP . Cheers people ;)
1507199362_20170419_170955-1.jpg

Welcome to the forum PixxiGirl.

Interesting mineral specimen, we have a few geologists that frequent the forum, hopefully they will be able to help identify it for you. :Y:

Won't be scandium and there is nothing pure about the scandium there (it is trace amounts so you don't get lumps). The photos you see are the refined metal. You need to get a simple book on identification - streak, colour, hardness etc. I've often detailed it but it is hard to relocate here.

Latest posts