What do you use to cook on

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting something to cook on(gas or fire) while out camping, wondering what other people use or prefer..

Hi Stevo

I prefer to cook (outside the van) on:-

Weber BabyQ BBQ - does a great job and is very versatile.

Butane stove. Can get a bit expensive though. Found BigW to have great value on a 12 pack of butane cans for about $13 I think.

Love to cook on an open fire using a Camp Oven if we can (weather, fire restrictions and regulations sometimes restrict this activity).

Happy cooking.

Monty.

I have a full bedourie cook set for cooking on a fire & a ubute gas cooker for back up but we use it most the time anyway just so easy I just refuse to get bottles refilled so we use it for a BBQ at home aswell.(it takes the throw away aerosols)

I have a Coleman gas cooker.
http://www.colemanaustralia.com.au/...art/1218777?contextCategory=0604#.U515mtN_XFo
Can be hooked up to a 3/8" gas cylinder or you can use disposable canisters. I use the refillable gas cylinder but have a disposable canister on hand just in case. Output is up to 10,000btu per burner which is what you want for cooking on (at least). Have found it goes good (or the missus has :lol: ) so far.
Have also got a little Weber style BBQ but after getting the Coleman will be using it mostly. Will get a camp oven for the open fire down the track too.

It's depends on how many are camping and for how long and if there may be there's a fire ban. At my work camp I cook on an open fire but also have a gas stove just in case of wet weather. Oz pigs (use wood) are good for fire bans. Most of my cooking is done in a camp oven, there are two types, cast iron or spun steel (bedourie). With camp ovens you can use heat beads as a fuel source.
:) Mick

Im thinking gas might be the go, just need to work out what cooktop would be best. A small portable bbq looks like the go.

I've used everything from a fire to a commercial kitchen out bush. Well not quite, it was an army "basher".

It depends on what you have in the way of kit Stevo, you don't say. So, I'm assuming you have a tent, whereas I have a caravan with a 3 gas 1 elec cooktop and griller, plus microwave.

When I was tenting it, I used a 3 burner gas stove, you can also get small BBQ plates for a single burner. That way you can cook meat on the plate or in a frypan, boil vegies on the 2nd and the kettle on the 3rd. That's good for extended trips.

However when I'm out in the goldfields, I carry a single burner stove, the type you get at Big W or other places that uses a disposable cartridge. I'm usually away from the van at lunchtime and in winter when it's colder, I appreciate a hot lunch. I use a small stainless steel billy to boil water for tea or coffee or for 2 min noodles like Suimin. I also carry a small saucepan set like hikers use, which I can use to heat left overs from the night before. I can also heat up pasties on it.

The 1 burners are ok for quick meals, but lacking for main meal cooking. Gas is the easiest, safest and economical fuel to use unless at high altitude.

And, yes I do use the microwave in the bush, a 2kva genny easily runs it, so if it's on charging batteries I might as well save gas and use it.

So, it all depends on what you mean, by "while out camping".

I was thinking of getting a caravan but decided not to so I bought a 12 x 9 Cabin canvas tent instead. Will be cooking for just two people and I enjoy a steak or two with my baked beans :)

Love our Q. From the perfect steak to roasts and everything inbetween. Cooks a mean pizza on the stone as well.

1402872368_f47.jpg

condor22 said:
I've used everything from a fire to a commercial kitchen out bush. Well not quite, it was an army "basher".

It depends on what you have in the way of kit Stevo, you don't say. So, I'm assuming you have a tent, whereas I have a caravan with a 3 gas 1 elec cooktop and griller, plus microwave.

When I was tenting it, I used a 3 burner gas stove, you can also get small BBQ plates for a single burner. That way you can cook meat on the plate or in a frypan, boil vegies on the 2nd and the kettle on the 3rd. That's good for extended trips.

However when I'm out in the goldfields, I carry a single burner stove, the type you get at Big W or other places that uses a disposable cartridge. I'm usually away from the van at lunchtime and in winter when it's colder, I appreciate a hot lunch. I use a small stainless steel billy to boil water for tea or coffee or for 2 min noodles like Suimin. I also carry a small saucepan set like hikers use, which I can use to heat left overs from the night before. I can also heat up pasties on it.

The 1 burners are ok for quick meals, but lacking for main meal cooking. Gas is the easiest, safest and economical fuel to use unless at high altitude.

And, yes I do use the microwave in the bush, a 2kva genny easily runs it, so if it's on charging batteries I might as well save gas and use it.

So, it all depends on what you mean, by "while out camping".

hmmmmm! what method do you use for the pasties, how long does it take?

casper

I have a small flat saucepan like for hiking, I put a little alfoil in the bottom, low heat (as low as it goes) lid on but offset a little. It acts like a little oven. It's not perfect, but better when they are not frozen. Time depends on ambient temperature, but anywhere from 7 to 12 minutes, I check it a couple of times and I draw a line between burning it and accepting not quite hot enough. Needless to say I don't cook pasties often like this, it's sometimes easier to go into town and buy one. Depends on the day and where I am.

I'm more of a noodles/leftovers diner...... bear in mind this is lunch, I go back to the van to cook my main meal in the evening.

thanks condor, exactly as i had imagined. I remember watching my mum do that - a variation from your method though is that she'd sit the pie or pastie on an egg ring to keep it off the direct heat and eliminate the risk of burning.

thanks....

I like the idea of a portable BBQ (for frying/grilling/roasting), however I was wondering if any able to heat a billy of water for dishes/tea/etc. If so how long does it take. I find that the single burner stoves do take a while.

I have a stainless steel billy, it will boil water on the single burner for 2 cups of coffee, in no more time than my electric kettle takes.

I originally used a gas stove kettle and it took forever, I also used a saucepan which took even longer.

The billy with a lid is the fastest. Aluminium takes longer also.

As to putting a kettle or saucepan on a Baby Q, I see the following as possible issues.

First it will have grease etc from cooking meat, which needs to be cleaned off, and

Second, before you start to heat the saucepan/kettle the BBQ plate also needs to be heated up. Which means that the kettle is heated by conduction of heat from the plate, whereas a stove, single or multi burner, is applying heat directly.

BTW have used the egg ring, forgot to mention, keep forgetting to take it from the van to the car, lol.

I use the single gas burner big w they are great but if it gets below about 5 degrees at high altitude they don't work well I also use a 2 burner colman petrol stove you can get 5 times as much heat at you could ever want handy as I always have fuel for a generator or boat with me I also run a colman petrol lantern they have the toughest mantle I have ever seen I got over 3000km out of one.

Latest posts