What do you do with your gold?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Whether its detecting, sluicing, panning etc, what do you all do with your gold?
Do you keep it all, and have a lifetime collection of the gold you have found?
Or do you sell it on and make a profit out of your findings, and what price do you get (eg. do you sell it for the $1515/oz as it stands now)
Always something ive been interested in!

Umm, everyone here donates their finds to me to help with the statue im building in honor of zena, the warrior princess.

But seriously, I have so little I hang on to it but I know of some that sell it. I see quite a few nuggets on ebay and I think the Perth mint buys gold but the price is far below the going price.

What do you do?
Copper

Unfortunately I have to sell mine for food, fuel, beer etc. eBay generally gets the highest price for nuggets but has been a bit overrun lately. P W Beck in South australia is where I send specimens, alluvial and nuggets that haven't sold. They are good to deal with.

DD

Gold is about to go through the roof, don't sell it keep as much as you can. If you can change it into trade-able 999.9 bullion with one of the refiners. But keep it.

Ditto on being a keeper, Have sold some in the past but now I just play with it.
Brad..

we keep ours. Bob is always 'going to sell it buy a detector' cause he's getting 'too bloody old' to be working in the creek :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HAHAHA

ran

I know that its differant, to a small time prospector, I still have the first nugget I ever found, 5.6 grammer...
But we have no emotional attachment to our gold out of the plant.
Clean it up, smelt it, sell it. Pay the bills, find more ground, look for that patch where its gonna go 1 in 10!!!

Has anyone here sold via a "gold broker/agent" before? if so, is it a long drawn out process?

Matt22 said:
Has anyone here sold via a "gold broker/agent" before? if so, is it a long drawn out process?

We do and its simple. If we sell a bit for cash, then its a 5 minute in/out affair.
If we sell on the books, then we have to give the buyer an statement and we get the gst component on top as well.

Hi Matt,

Never give your gold to anyone with out being paid on the spot. Gold is the ultimate currency and you should treat it as such. You would not give the bank AUD notes and come back later for your USD.

My opinion is never sell gold if you can hold on to it. Fiat currencies are all based on debt. Gold is real wealth.

Remember Gold is money. So you not so much selling it as exchanging it for Fiat currencies.

Cheers
Mike :cool:

Gold miner said:
Matt22 said:

We do and its simple. If we sell a bit for cash, then its a 5 minute in/out affair.
If we sell on the books, then we have to give the buyer an statement and we get the gst component on top as well.

Would you expect to get a higher return from a broker than what you would from Ebay for example?

No. We loose 3% for purity, and 3% profit margin for him. Plus, we dont get the 'spot' price you see on TV. That price is for 999 refined gold. We get what is called 'unallocated gold' price. Which is about $100 less per ounce than spot.
On ebay I've had gold sell for $72 a gram! The best the buyer could offer was $47. So I have a starting bid of $50 on ebay and see how it goes.....

Gold miner said:
No. We loose 3% for purity, and 3% profit margin for him. Plus, we dont get the 'spot' price you see on TV. That price is for 999 refined gold. We get what is called 'unallocated gold' price. Which is about $100 less per ounce than spot.
On ebay I've had gold sell for $72 a gram! The best the buyer could offer was $47. So I have a starting bid of $50 on ebay and see how it goes.....

And ebay is all done from home (except the trip to the post office). A win win :p

Latest posts